1000.2 vs 1000.4 dish

fatpug

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Here
I have an install today and the installer is using the 1000.2 dish. What benefit if any would I have with a 1000.4? Is there any disadvantage to the 1000.4?

1000.2 Dishes are designed for Western Arc sats, the 1004.0 for Eastern arc. You might want to change your "here" location to something a bit more explanatory, geographically...then we would know what arc you are likely to be in.

I am in South East Kansas with Pittsburg KS/Joplin MO locals. It it correct this is the western arc?

Same question. I live in Bellevue Nebraska 68005.

Also, the installer stated the .4 was larger and would include brackets(struts) I requested.

Also, installer recommended .2 over .4 but not for arc, he stated it was a lighter dish.

This is long term (more than 2 years) I want the BEST setup.

Would really like your advise.

This install will be 722 for 1 TV with SD to second TV. The Sales/Installer stated he like the 722 over the Hopper is this also true?

Thanks

Omaha, Nebraska market is dual-arc. I have the Hoppers on the 1000.2 WA and the 722k on the 1000.4 EA (I live in a dual-arc area as well.) Virtually no difference in rain fade and the likes other than the fact that they are pointed in different directions. I peaked the 1000.2 2.5 years ago and my signal strength is still very strong. Peaked the 1000.4 a year ago still going strong.

Long story short: Either one is fine. All that really matters is that you are on the correct arc.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Same question. I live in Bellevue Nebraska 68005.

Also, the installer stated the .4 was larger and would include brackets(struts) I requested.

Also, installer recommended .2 over .4 but not for arc, he stated it was a lighter dish.

This is long term (more than 2 years) I want the BEST setup.

Would really like your advise.

This install will be 722 for 1 TV with SD to second TV. The Sales/Installer stated he like the 722 over the Hopper is this also true?

Thanks

Any mast mounted dish is going to be stronger with struts than a dish without struts. I personally like the .4 better because it has fine tune adjustments that the .2 doesn't have. I use a .4 with a wa lnb, I do get a better signal than I had with the .2
As far as the hopper I personally feel like it is over rated. I have installed quite a few for customers, but will not install 1 in my house. People get the hopper for 2 reasons. 1.......they didn't know any better & that's what the salesman sold them & 2...........they get it because everyone else got 1 & they just want to be like everyone else.

Any mast mounted dish is going to be stronger with struts than a dish without struts. I personally like the .4 better because it has fine tune adjustments that the .2 doesn't have. I use a .4 with a wa lnb, I do get a better signal than I had with the .2
As far as the hopper I personally feel like it is over rated. I have installed quite a few for customers, but will not install 1 in my house. People get the hopper for 2 reasons. 1.......they didn't know any better & that's what the salesman sold them & 2...........they get it because everyone else got 1 & they just want to be like everyone else.

...or 3 they want the latest and greatest in technology and want to use the many features that the previous generations of receivers do not have.

Thanks stardust, That was my thinking.

My neighbor 2 doors down has dish with struts and loves it, 3 doors down is mast only and he really hates it. Even wind ruins his signal.

Also gald to hear about 722 from OP. I can still run 2 TVs (1-hdtv, 1-sdtv), and it's cheaper. The 2nd TV is free, and dvr service is $6 instead of $10/ month.

either dish correctly installed will work just fine. the signal difference between the 2 is insignificant.....a few extra points does not mean dick when it comes to MOST rainfade issues. there are MILLIONS of 1000.2 dishes installed with no struts that work just fine.

either dish correctly installed will work just fine. the signal difference between the 2 is insignificant.....a few extra points does not mean dick when it comes to MOST rainfade issues. there are MILLIONS of 1000.2 dishes installed with no struts that work just fine.

My 1k.4 with the new mount doesn't even have struts... Works fine. Don't think they use the struts on new 1k.4 installs in most cases anymore.

BTW, the receiver is 722k not 722 standard. The installer is now pushing for the .2 with struts instead of .4 stating it is smaller, lighter and newer.

Should I insist on .4, or does it really matter? Nebraska 68005

edit: This is long term and I want the BEST reception. Thanks

Last edited:
BTW, the receiver is 722k not 722 standard. The installer is now pushing for the .2 with struts instead of .4 stating it is smaller, lighter and newer.

Should I insist on .4, or does it really matter? Nebraska 68005

edit: This is long term and I want the BEST reception. Thanks

Ask the Guy how long he has been installing dish. If he says 2 years or more, just let him do his job.

Ask the Guy how long he has been installing dish. If he says 2 years or more, just let him do his job.
I actually decided that before your post, and will be going with his decision of the .2 but was confused by his original suggestion for the .4.

Both are capable of great signal strength. Could always post your signal strength numbers here after the install.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)