1000.2 with a single lnb for sat 129

tetercreekcouple

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
WV 26250
I am in WV and having problems getting 129 due to the mountains here and the sats elev. I have a dish 500 currently with a single lnb for Sat 129. I can get a signal but not enough to get a solid lock. My question is: I have a 1000.2 that I am not using and I was wondering if I used a single lnb in the middle position of the yoke, would it improve my signal any since this is a somewhat larger dish? Also I may be able to get a line of sight on 61.5, will i be able to get my locals from this satellite here on the east coast?

I am in WV and having problems getting 129 due to the mountains here and the sats elev. I have a dish 500 currently with a single lnb for Sat 129. I can get a signal but not enough to get a solid lock. My question is: I have a 1000.2 that I am not using and I was wondering if I used a single lnb in the middle position of the yoke, would it improve my signal any since this is a somewhat larger dish? Also I may be able to get a line of sight on 61.5, will i be able to get my locals from this satellite here on the east coast?

Coverage for 129 in your area should be fine...granted if you have line of sight. Which sounds like your problem. With a Dish500 pointed at just 129, you should be able to find the signal and get tweaked in about 15-20 minutes. The Dish1000 isn't going to make a difference as it was designed larger for the 3 satellites. It might even be worse than the Dish500.

Coverage for 129 in your area should be fine...granted if you have line of sight. Which sounds like your problem. With a Dish500 pointed at just 129, you should be able to find the signal and get tweaked in about 15-20 minutes. The Dish1000 isn't going to make a difference as it was designed larger for the 3 satellites. It might even be worse than the Dish500.

if the problem is signal strength why wouldn't the larger dish catch more signal and address the issue?

Last edited:
Have a line of sight (kind of). There are some trees several hundred yards away that are on the horizon. But the leaves are off now and I think that the actual receive angle for the dish is above the tree line. I'm just wondering why I can get a signal but can't get it strong enough for a lock. It bounces from lock to unlock continually. That's why I was wondering if the bigger (?)( 1000.2) dish would help. I have tweaked the dish 500 in all directions but just can't get enough signal for a solid lock.

Have a line of sight (kind of). There are some trees several hundred yards away that are on the horizon. But the leaves are off now and I think that the actual receive angle for the dish is above the tree line. I'm just wondering why I can get a signal but can't get it strong enough for a lock. It bounces from lock to unlock continually. That's why I was wondering if the bigger (?)( 1000.2) dish would help. I have tweaked the dish 500 in all directions but just can't get enough signal for a solid lock.
What transponder are you using to get the signal? You may be trying to lock on a spotbeam that you are on the fringe of. Try a transponder of 26 or higher.

What part of WV are you located? Are you using 129 for locals? If so they have the locals on 77 as well but it requires the MPEG-4 receiver to pick it up. I have had Dish Network do a free upgrade to the 1000.4 dish with all MPEG-4 equipment (Eastern Arc) if you nag at them enough about it when someone had issues getting tree'd out at 129. You could use something like an old Superdish or Primestar dish and put the DP lnb on it. I have had to do that a few times and it has helped.

77 is up higher in the sky and it might be better for you to receive the signal from that satellite depending on what you are wanting to pick up off of 129.

I am wanting the locals from 129 and I do not have any of the mpeg-4 equipment. I am located near the Elkins area of WV and all I would like to do is get the locals on standard TV. I am going to play around some next week with the different dishes and see what I can find out. To Voyager6 - you may have something as I was using TP 21 to try to lock. Also I am just using one of the old 311 receivers as all of this is happening at a cabin I have in the mts.

I am wanting the locals from 129 and I do not have any of the mpeg-4 equipment. I am located near the Elkins area of WV and all I would like to do is get the locals on standard TV. I am going to play around some next week with the different dishes and see what I can find out. To Voyager6 - you may have something as I was using TP 21 to try to lock. Also I am just using one of the old 311 receivers as all of this is happening at a cabin I have in the mts.

In that are 129 is rated to at 55dBw... even an easy catch with an 18 inch dish, granted there is LOS. Usually a bigger dish does not help with LOS issues. I wouldn't waste your money on anything.

Spotbeams are on 1-16 on 129. I believe 21 is a QPSK transponder that the 311 would pick up.

Are there standard definition locals on 129 in your area?

if the problem is signal strength why wouldn't the larger dish catch more signal and address the issue?
The "pulling power" of the Dish 1000.2 isn't much better than that of the Dish500.

As was pointed out above, each dish was designed to serve more than one LNB and if you've only got one, you're getting only partial use of the surface area.

With respect to the Dish 1000, it is MUCH weaker than a Dish 500. The Dish 1000.2 is a little larger, but not much.

Would using just a single LNB on the D500 but with an "I" adapter instead of the "Y" adapter to center the LNB help? I did that with mine in a marginal 129 situation with LOS problems but there were so many variables I can't really say it helped. But it certainly can't hurt, and they're cheap enough...

The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

Why don't you use a 20" single lnb dish and point it at 129 and peak it out. I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if trees a couple of hundred yards away would be interfering with your signal. The signal comes from an angle much higher up than the face of the dish is pointing.

You could have a site survey done or I believe there is a tool somewhere on the net to help you determine if you will have a clear sight. You input the elevation of your dish and angle (degrees), the distance to the obstacle and it's height and you will be able to determine if you can see the satellite.

Why are you trying to point at 129 for locals? If you're using a 311 RCVR you need only 110 and 119. Your locals should be broadcasting off of 110. 129 will have your HD locals but if you don't have an MPEG-4 RCVR to pick it up, why bother?

Thanks everyone for all the input. After spending a week at my cabin next week and fiddlin with things, I will repost if I have anything worth posting
To BHelms, Yes I do have an "I" yoke on my dish 500 and I do think it works better than a Y for receiving just the one satellite..

Sound Quality

VIP 411 picture freezing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)