11/1 KungFu HD Premiere Movies

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
KungFu-HD

KungFu-HD (106): City on Fire *** (1987, Action / Ad)

B00005BABM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Aspect ratio 1.85 : 1

Summary: Although many Hong Kong action fans have criticized Quentin Tarantino for stealing the premise of Reservoir Dogs from Ringo Lam's 1987 hit City on Fire, those accusations do a disservice not only to Tarantino--who vastly improved upon every scene he "borrowed"--but also to Lam and his charismatic star, Chow Yun-fat, whose talents were evident long before they were lured to Hollywood. City on Fire may seem overly familiar now, with its standard undercover-cop-befriending-the-bad-guys scenario, but it remains a first-rate example of Hong Kong urban-action drama, and as a star vehicle for Chow it's a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. The shootouts and chase scenes are as good as anything Hollywood offered in the late '80s, and the chaotic environs of Hong Kong provide an exotic backdrop that further enhances the routine plot line.
Chow plays the undercover cop, still agonizing over his betrayal of a criminal friend during a previous case; when he's asked to infiltrate a gang of violent thieves, his rapport with one of the gangsters threatens the integrity of his assignment. While his superiors battle among themselves (one protects Chow, the other pursues him), director Lam keeps it all ticking along with surefire pacing and an amusing subplot involving Chow's dissatisfied fiancée. The film is fascinating to watch for its obvious precedents to Reservoir Dogs (including a climactic "Mexican standoff" between the untrusting criminals), but it's best appreciated as a showcase for Chow, who's instantly captivating from the moment he appears onscreen. (Note: Disney's DVD release of City on Fire greatly improves upon the poorly translated subtitles of all previous DVD releases.) --Jeff Shannon

KungFu-HD (106): Dr. Wai in the Scripture With No Words ** (1996, Action / Ad)

B00005T31R.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Aspect ratio 2.35 : 1

Summary: A serial adventure writer with problems in his personal life lives out the adventures of his literary hero, King of Adventurers.

KungFu-HD (106): China Strike Force *+ (2000, Action / Ad)

B00008XRV8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Aspect ratio 2.35 : 1

Summary: The hit-making director of RUMBLE IN THE BRONX and JACKIE CHAN'S FIRST STRIKE, Stanley Tong, now brings you a fast-paced, high-octane adventure where extortion, murder, and drugs fuel the action for exciting star Mark Dacascos (CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE) and hip-hop headliner Coolio! A renegade cop with his own rough-edged way of fighting crime, Darren Tong, is on a mission to take out the vicious and greedy local mobster Tony Lau (Dacascos) and his cutthroat ring of drug smugglers. But if he hopes to bring down Lau and cripple his notorious crime syndicate, Tong must team up with a sexy undercover agent and infiltrate the bloodthirsty gang! If you're an action fan who demands adrenaline-pumping excitement, nothing hits harder than CHINA STIRKE FORCE!

China Strike Force was not showing this morning. Instead there was sort of a documentary about the legend of Bruce Lee. PIG strikes again...

Huh? City on Fire's not a Kung Fu movie. I'm not complaining, but ok. Maybe they'll show Hong Kong action as well, like I said, I won't complein :)

Guide is wrong (surprise!). Dr W.... isn't showing, it's Bruce Lee: Legend something, a documentary.

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
I called VOOM and they told me they never heard of this happening

Freddy,

if by VOOM you mean CSR, understand that CSRs are a third party company who would only know about changes when an internal memo is sent to them. So don't take that a serious explanation.

Sean Mota said:
If I ever decide to start a satellite system, I won't let zap2it carry my PG. Pathetic!!!
If you ever decide to start a satellite system, I recommend that you give zap2it the correct programming information. I mean, do you think they're just making it up? Or maybe they're getting bad information from Voom - not too hard to believe that Voom has something FUBAR, is it?

TheTimm said:
If you ever decide to start a satellite system, I recommend that you give zap2it the correct programming information. I mean, do you think they're just making it up? Or maybe they're getting bad information from Voom - not too hard to believe that Voom has something FUBAR, is it?

I do not think it is VOOM given the incorrect information since they have stated that they sent the correct information to zap2it but zap2it sometimes refuses long titles or puts the incorrect information. In way it is also VOOM's problems since they should held zap2it responsible for what they put in the PG but I strongly believe that it is zap2it that are making the mistakes here. Where is the cause of the problem in their interpreation of the data, it is unknown to me. I have emailed zap2it several times and a few others as well about the problem but never heard one word from them. This is why I think VOOM should drop them like a hot potato and go with someone else that is competent to resolve this issue.

So why do the problems with zap2it seem to be primarily confined to Voom's exclusive channels? When I see something listed on ESPN-HD, it's on. When I see something listed on Bravo-HD, it's on. When I see something listed on TNT-HD, it's on. When I see something listed on one of the Cinema10 channels, there's a darned good chance it's not on. Why does zap2it only seem to have troubles with Voom exclusives? Don't get me wrong, Sean, I love Voom -- but they are completely inept at running certain aspects of their business. And telling us what movies will be aired on their Cinema10 channels seems to be too big a task for them. I don't see the problem to anywhere near this extent with other channels. :confused:

TheTimm said:
So why do the problems with zap2it seem to be primarily confined to Voom's exclusive channels? When I see something listed on ESPN-HD, it's on. When I see something listed on Bravo-HD, it's on. When I see something listed on TNT-HD, it's on. When I see something listed on one of the Cinema10 channels, there's a darned good chance it's not on. Why does zap2it only seem to have troubles with Voom exclusives? Don't get me wrong, Sean, I love Voom -- but they are completely inept at running certain aspects of their business. And telling us what movies will be aired on their Cinema10 channels seems to be too big a task for them. I don't see the problem to anywhere near this extent with other channels. :confused:

I completly agree with you and it has been a mystery to me as well. But I am just passing along what I was told from the programmers of the VOOM channels. They passed a long list of programming information to zap2it (Tribune) and zap2it decides what to put in there. Lots of time they don't put the LIVE description to the soccer game or forget who's playing. As I said I do not know what the F**** problem, as I am frustrated as you are to see this level of incompentence on such a simple thing. At this point I really do not care who the F**** is to blame. I just want a F**** PG that displays the correct information even if we don't like the movies. At least you have the option to say I am not interested to see what's playing. Believe me I am as frustrated as you are. :mad:

Oh, I don't doubt your frustration - especially now. Anyone who drops F-bombs in three consecutive sentences must be frustrated! ;) It can only get better, right?. . . . Right?!? :shocked

China Strike Force didn't show last night it was some old coger movie, the Bruce Lee Documentary was in the PG...

Come one VOOM Kung FU HD is going to be your 2nd best exclusive (next to monsters) don't drop the ball(s).

Sean Mota said:
I completly agree with you and it has been a mystery to me as well. But I am just passing along what I was told from the programmers of the VOOM channels. They passed a long list of programming information to zap2it (Tribune) and zap2it decides what to put in there. Lots of time they don't put the LIVE description to the soccer game or forget who's playing. As I said I do not know what the F**** problem, as I am frustrated as you are to see this level of incompentence on such a simple thing. At this point I really do not care who the F**** is to blame. I just want a F**** PG that displays the correct information even if we don't like the movies. At least you have the option to say I am not interested to see what's playing. Believe me I am as frustrated as you are. :mad:

F*** you see Voom, you made Sean f****g curse f*** heads....

Seriously, if zap2it sucks can they link with someone like Titan or something?

I have to blame voom on this one. Even if it's something zap2it is doing, zap2it doesn't mess up the other channels, at least not regularly, just voom. so it must be something voom is doing. voom needs to either do what everybody else is doing so zap2it won't mess it up, or get a new service.

Dvlos said:
China Strike Force didn't show last night it was some old coger movie, the Bruce Lee Documentary was in the PG...

Come one VOOM Kung FU HD is going to be your 2nd best exclusive (next to monsters) don't drop the ball(s).
agreed. THe Bruce Lee thing was rather boring. I"ve been telling friends about this, don't make me a liar!!

Dvlos said:
F*** you see Voom, you made Sean f****g curse f*** heads....

Seriously, if zap2it sucks can they link with someone like Titan or something?

I hate it when I get that emotional :) now I am more relax after going to voting :D

>!!>

Well, today the PG is right for Cinema6. I really wanted to see Shaolin Soccer, stupid mofo's. Where is the programming that the PG is showing?! Come on Voom, we been waiting months for the KungFU channel and all we are getting is old war movies with Japanes in it. That does not make a KungFu movie just because Asians are in it ;-) Where are the shows??!?!?!?!?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)