Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
I am getting a new (refurbished) 722 today as my old
one keeps rebooting and freezing. I want to have the
tech check my signal readings on these birds and am wondering
what good standard readings are/should be. I have heard
that a bad LNB also could cause reboots. I want to see the
readings and know that he is not blowing smoke up my butt.
They can be too lazy to tweak the Dish sometimes. I am in
west central wisconsin and also am wondering if it would
be too my advantage to request Eastern Arc, i.e. stronger
signal levels, better picture, no or less rain fade.

bad lnb causes reboots?
i hadn't heard that one yet.
in your area, readings should in the 50's and higher on most 110, 119 transponders. keep in mind that some will be spotbeams which are lower, and some transponders may not appear at all.
129 can be in the 30s and higher depending on the transponder.
basically, if any of those signals show a yellow or red bar instead of green, then you really do need some tweaking.
personally, i think the EA signal levels are lower, but i dont know how much this matters, as the 1000.4's work fine.
don't worry, if the dish needs tweaking, the tech will do it. that is his/her job.
edit: if you have a dish 1000, with a dpp twin and dp dual, you can boost your signal quite a bit with a newer 1000.2 dish.

Most of my readings on my D1000 are in the 60's, with the new satellite 129 has very good readings.

Not positive on this but I don't think the Eau Claire/La Crosse locals are on EA so not sure that would be a good option.

However, if you live far enough west of Eau Claire and are in the Minneapolis DMA, then EA dish would be a possiblity as the Minneapolis locals are on both arcs.

Last edited:
Not positive on this but I don't think your Eau Claire/La Crosse locals are on the 61.5 sat so the EA dish would not be a good option.

EA dish covers 61.5, 72 and 77, if the locals are not there and you want them, it would not be good. Check where they are before you try switching dishes. Also note where the sd locals are as Dish does not supply all local channels in HD. At least not yet.

I am getting a new (refurbished) 722 today as my old
one keeps rebooting and freezing. I want to have the
tech check my signal readings on these birds and am wondering
what good standard readings are/should be. I have heard
that a bad LNB also could cause reboots. I want to see the
readings and know that he is not blowing smoke up my butt.
They can be too lazy to tweak the Dish sometimes. I am in
west central wisconsin and also am wondering if it would
be too my advantage to request Eastern Arc, i.e. stronger
signal levels, better picture, no or less rain fade.

These signal strengths are from a precision peaked 1000+ with a 722 in St. Louis. New meter minimum signal strength (the top of the digital cliff) is 50. Good signal strength is 60+. Unfortunately, great signal strength can not be achieved without a larger dish. This explains many of the picture quality complaints and system malfunctions.
after software upgrade
110 tp11 83
118 tp24 63 tp18 62
119 tp11 71
129 tp23 62 tp24 61 tp25 60 and tp29 63

This particular system, after signal peak and color calibration, produced these results:

Dish HD quality = nearly indistinguishable, very close to OTA
Dish SD quality = All SD channels were of good quality and on many channels the quality is deceptively close to HD.

Rebooting can be caused by several reasons:
1. 722's are known for running too hot and causing rebooting
2. Electrical issues arising from improper home wiring
3. Electrical issues arising from Monster power products and other miscellaneous surge protectors
4. ground loop interference
5. software

I'm in Minneapolis and do installs in Western Wisconsin, St. Paul, suburbs and Minnapolis. High 60s to mid 70s on 119 and 110 are pretty common. The eastern arc numbers are usually much lower but under optimum conditions can be as high as 60. We look at transponders 14,15,and 16 on the western arc. The eastern has no protocol at this time. Those 100.4 eastern arc dishes are much larger than the 1000.2 western arc and require struts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)