110 spot

inwo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
SE MN.
Minneapolis locals lost signal this AM for customers 20 miles south of dma border.

Anyone know whats up with that?

Can they control spot that well? Software problem?

Error screen says no signal on 110 t4. And there is 0 signal on T4.

Yet customers in dma report locals are on T1 now.

???????????????????????????????????????????

Apparently it is an Alaska spotbeam. In Fairbanks, I am getting a signal strength of 124 on sat 110 tr. 4.

inwo said:
Minneapolis locals lost signal this AM for customers 20 miles south of dma border.

Anyone know whats up with that?

Can they control spot that well? Software problem?

Error screen says no signal on 110 t4. And there is 0 signal on T4.

Yet customers in dma report locals are on T1 now.

???????????????????????????????????????????

Minneapolis locals are on 110 TP4....I live in the DMA

Yes they can fine tune the spotbeams that fine. The DMA ends at the MN/IA border. As an example, the transponder spotbeam that has Eau Claire/La Crosse I pick up at about a 65 signal (out of 125). They are reusing alot of spotbeams :)

20 miles into Iowa is very possible you lost it.

Iceberg said:
Minneapolis locals are on 110 TP4....I live in the DMA

Yes they can fine tune the spotbeams that fine. The DMA ends at the MN/IA border. As an example, the transponder spotbeam that has Eau Claire/La Crosse I pick up at about a 65 signal (out of 125). They are reusing alot of spotbeams :)

20 miles into Iowa is very possible you lost it.

Where are you?

I'm 20 miles above Iowa border and get zero signal on T4.
My daughter is in your dma and gets no signal on LaCrosse T23.

Another call was from someone 20 miles north of me yet. Lansboro! Filmore county!

inwo said:
Where are you?
SW Suburbs of Minneapolis (Scott County)

I'm 20 miles above Iowa border and get zero signal on T4.
My daughter is in your dma and gets no signal on LaCrosse T23.
LaCrosse DMA barely makes it to the Twin Cities as the same transponder is reused for Sioux Falls. So TP23 Mpls is right between 2 spot beams for TP23.

Another call was from someone 20 miles north of me yet. Lansboro! Filmore county!
Fillmore COunty isnt in the Mpls DMA...Its in Rochester/Austin/Mason City DMA.

Here are 2 maps of the spotbemas (taken from the ekb chart)
What is in light blue is the SUPPOSED map of the spotbeams, but they could be fine tuned even more. Looking at Tp4, the SE corner of MN isn't covered. Conversely, TP23 stops right at the Eastern Metro. The dark blue is the DMA's covered in the spotbeam

Attachments

• e10t04.pdf
    355.8 KB · Views: 136
  • e10t23.pdf
    350 KB · Views: 114
Iceberg said:
SW Suburbs of Minneapolis (Scott County)

LaCrosse DMA barely makes it to the Twin Cities as the same transponder is reused for Sioux Falls. So TP23 Mpls is right between 2 spot beams for TP23.

This is what puzzles me. My daughter gets zero signal.

Fillmore COunty isnt in the Mpls DMA...Its in Rochester/Austin/Mason City DMA.

True! But there again. Such a sharp cutoff? I would expect weak signal for 50 miles or so. I'm going there today. Filmore job. I'll check if it's weak or zero.

I was hoping a 30" dish would pull it in, but looks like there is no hope of picking up signal if it is zero on D500. :(

tnx Ice

The old signal was a solid 125
The new one is about 100....I think the center is near Brainerd (I'll check this weekend as I'll be up there at the lake house)

Will it work with a 30"....probably since you are on the border of the spot beam. I cant guarantee anything but if you have a bigger dish handy, its worth a shot :)

Still zero on 30" dish. Still zero 20 miles south of dma.

The problem seem to be, I am right between and outside of two T4 spot beams. Only one county between them. (Houston) It would seem that a weak signal from each would = zero quality. :(

you have to remember those maps arent etched in stone....its probably a little less due to the footprint moving (shifting)

Also, they cant have spotbemas overlap for obvious reasons.

Iceberg said:
you have to remember those maps arent etched in stone....its probably a little less due to the footprint moving (shifting)

Also, they cant have spotbeams overlap for obvious reasons.
Why not? A little overlap shouldn't be a problem, as long as a DMA is not overlapped, yes? Anotherwords, the overlapped area is typically serviced by another spot or TP that does not have overlap, yes?

you cant have spotbemas overlap because the reciever won't know to pick up (as an example) TP4 for Mpls locals or TP4 for Milwaukee locals. Thats why

spotbeams overlap, yes...not same number spotbeams.

Look at the pdf of TP12, the area overlapping between Nashville and Detroit, is just fine... because the customers in the overlap area are in different DMA's that are serviced by other spot's and/or TP's. This is why there 'can' be overlapping spots. The 'confusion' by the ird's in this case is moot, a non issue.

but if someone "moves" to the purple area, their receiver won't know whetehr to pick up TP12 for Nashville or TP12 for Detroit....Thats what I'm saying.

Hmmm, um, ok... but I was addressing "Also, they cant have spotbeams overlap for obvious reasons.", rather than the slippery slope of "moving".... a slope btw, that Dish has no real interest in supporting.

Overlap can be allowed, but signal in the overlap area would not be usable. Not because of software or confusion issues. Each signal would appear as noise to the other.

Unless one signal was xxdb stronger than the other, no useful signal will be available. This seems to be true in my location.

If I had access to a field strength meter band limited to T4 only, I believe it would show a strong signal. imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)