119/110/61.5/129 question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JohnL

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Spencerport, NY
Tomorrow I'm getting an additional Dish for 129, due to the New HD additions not being available on 61.5. I know 129 has more RSN HD feeds, will this mean, On Occasion, I get more HD feeds with my Center Ice Package?

Secondly, when I tune to an HD satellite channel that is on both 129, and 61.5 will my receiver default to one orbital slot or is it random?

Lastly if I have a Rain fade event and my Signal Lock to either 61.5 or 129 is interrupted, If I changed channels to another 61.5/129 Channel would my receiver tune to the Orbital slot that is not experiencing Rain Fade?

John

Tomorrow I'm getting an additional Dish for 129, due to the New HD additions not being available on 61.5. I know 129 has more RSN HD feeds, will this mean, On Occasion, I get more HD feeds with my Center Ice Package?
yes. Since some HD RSN's are on 129 only and some are on 61.5 only you would see more than "the average bear...err sub" having both

Secondly, when I tune to an HD satellite channel that is on both 129, and 61.5 will my receiver default to one orbital slot or is it random?
I always thought it was 129 but lately I've heard its random

Lastly if I have a Rain fade event and my Signal Lock to either 61.5 or 129 is interrupted, If I changed channels to another 61.5/129 Channel would my receiver tune to the Orbital slot that is not experiencing Rain Fade?

I thoguht the only way to do that would be to run a check switch which (with rain fade) would remove the satellite with issues

John
Thats tough to say because for some reason, my Dish 500+ with the wing dish on the 61.5,
Defaults to the 61.5 for my EuroNews channel, even though its on the 118.7 as well, I'm not sure what the factors are involved.

The one big problem with having both 129 and 61.5 sats in the matrix, is if you have your locals on both sats. IF you do you won't be able to get your ota timers to work properly. Found this out last year when I had my real hometown locals of Beaumont ,Tx and I was using an eastern arc dish + side sat for 129 too. Beaumont ,Tx is on both 61.5 and 129 . Others at the time confirmed this was happening to them too. Especially St.Louis locals were on 118/61.5 and 129 sats. Your timers for ota channels will not work properly and will only record one time and then stop working . No name based recording possible. So be sure your locals aren't on both sats if you try to plug in both to your matrix.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Mike, Dish does NOT carry my local Market channels in HD yet, Rochester NY. So the problem you mentioned should not be a problem as My local Market channels are only uplinked at 110 in SD, and I only record my locals in HD via the OTA tuners in my 722k.

BTW I'm on my second Day of No Standard HD channels (still have my premium channels for some reason) because of the pending Work order. Tech is suppose to be at my home between 8am and Noon. It'll be nice to get the HD channels back, SD PQ is terrible.

Thanks again,
John

This seemed like a good thread to ask this question in instead of starting a new one.

Currently i have 2 dishes. 110/118.7/119 & wing dish 61.5.
Receivers are 722 & 381.

Living in New York City, HD Locals only on 61.5. Have 1 international coming in off both 61.5 and 118.7.

--Is 129 a viable option for this location?

--Can i add 129 to the 110/118.7/119 and still keep the 61.5 all within one setup?

I'm thinking I'd be better off with a EA setup and turn the main dish into a 118.7 only wing dish, but doing this would require a receiver upgrade.

Any info appreciated.

Last edited:
The one big problem with having both 129 and 61.5 sats in the matrix, is if you have your locals on both sats. IF you do you won't be able to get your ota timers to work properly. Found this out last year when I had my real hometown locals of Beaumont ,Tx and I was using an eastern arc dish + side sat for 129 too. Beaumont ,Tx is on both 61.5 and 129 . Others at the time confirmed this was happening to them too. Especially St.Louis locals were on 118/61.5 and 129 sats. Your timers for ota channels will not work properly and will only record one time and then stop working . No name based recording possible. So be sure your locals aren't on both sats if you try to plug in both to your matrix.

This problem was solved about 2 weeks on my receivers. An OTA timer for House on the Atlanta Fox station that had not fired for about 2 years fired 2 weeks ago and it appears that the latest software release fixed it for my receivers (I receive the Atlanta locals on both 61.5 and 129).

This seemed like a good thread to ask this question in instead of starting a new one.

Currently i have 2 dishes. 110/118.7/119 & wing dish 61.5.
Receivers are 722 & 381.

Living in New York City, HD Locals only on 61.5. Have 1 international coming in off both 61.5 and 118.7.

--Is 129 a viable option for this location?

--Can i add 129 to the 110/118.7/119 and still keep the 61.5 all within one setup?

I'm thinking I'd be better off with a EA setup and turn the main dish into a 118.7 only wing dish, but doing this would require a receiver upgrade.

Any info appreciated.
129 is a tough angle for NYC, you may need to add 72 instead.

Be alerted that with 61.5W in the matrix (with 129W) I have had stoppages at 4:12 AM MST/MDT on HD. Others reported stoppages at 5:12 CT and 6:12 ET. It has not stopped on 129W, so I have removed 61.5W. There should not have been a problem with the 8 new channels as they would only be coming from 129W. With distribution from both, it will select until the next reboot, one or the other, and this will differ from time to time and receiver to receiver (random), less so channel to channel if on both.
-Ken

This problem was solved about 2 weeks on my receivers. An OTA timer for House on the Atlanta Fox station that had not fired for about 2 years fired 2 weeks ago and it appears that the latest software release fixed it for my receivers (I receive the Atlanta locals on both 61.5 and 129).

That's good news! I hope we all got that software change. It caused a lot of problems for many on this board till we figured it out. Even DISH tech department couldn't understand why this was happening. I even "moved" back to Houston to avoid the timer problem and so I could keep both 129 and 61.5 in the same matrix. I have since changed out the 129 dish for 110.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Mike, Dish does NOT carry my local Market channels in HD yet, Rochester NY. So the problem you mentioned should not be a problem as My local Market channels are only uplinked at 110 in SD, and I only record my locals in HD via the OTA tuners in my 722k.

BTW I'm on my second Day of No Standard HD channels (still have my premium channels for some reason) because of the pending Work order. Tech is suppose to be at my home between 8am and Noon. It'll be nice to get the HD channels back, SD PQ is terrible.

Thanks again,
John

Are you sure you're not getting a 1000.4 (EA). Rochester NY is well within the area were they wouldn't install a dish for 129 in the past.

Ok Guys here it is:

Long Island NY Zip 11507

Everything with NYC locals

All self installed

110/119 & 61.5 DishPro LNB’s - Owned
DPP-44 - Owned
722 Owned
622 Leased (Drive Issues I think is about to die)
501 Owned
508 Owned

I’m not interested in upgrading the 501/8 right now. Is there any way to keep everything I currently have and just add another dish to the current configuration to receive the new HD?

I know 129 is a stretch from here, but if I can see it can I just add that location? If I can’t get 129 what are the other options to keep my mpeg2’s in the mix?

Thanks to you all

CCash

Called in after deciding to upgrade 381 to VIP612. Upgrade charge for that is $99, fine with that. Also mentioned $15 service call fee w/ service plan. Wasn't happy with that. They said it is standard any time a tech has to come out.

Eventually went to sup, I asked if I never had HD and was calling to add my first HD receiver today, it would require the new dish, they say I'd still have to pay the $15 additional charge. I don't agree that a customer like that would have to pay it. (If they do that's a horrible way to treat a new hd cust now) But he said it was "coming from corporate."

He wouldn't budge, wouldn't go to a higher transfer.

I'm not wanting for these new channels that badly. I am more upset about the $15 charge (which seems like it could be $40 after you cancel the service plan) without the option of just saying I'll take a 24-month commit for the new install.

Especially when I'm supposed to tolerate having a $10 HD plan without all the current HD in it.

From what I remember w/ internationals or any big programming, if sats changed, they offered an option for a free upgrade to the new dish, that option appears to be gone now.

That's fine if that is their business decision but it's a horrible change to me.

for the record, I have a 4 sat setup with 61.5 and 129. The receiver seems to jump between 61.5 and 129 for those channels that are on both. I.E. I've seen it pick either one, and I don't know what algorithm it uses.

Here's my take on the madness...

The receiver builds a distinct list of the channel numbers. If there happens to be 2 records for one channel number during that particular load of the channel layout it gets collapsed into one. When the order of the channel layout is changed based on when your receiver loads it, it changes which satellite position it gets collapsed to. So it flip flops back and forth.

here is my situation. i live in austin, texas and for historical reasons, i have a dish xxxx bringing in 110/119 (129 is disconnected) and a dish 500 for 61.5 - both feed a dpp44. i disconnected 129 because my sat boxes kept picking it instead of 61.5 despite 61.5 having higher signal strength (though it was pretty random).

i am pretty sure i have a dish 1000 because of 129 signal strength, but it is possible it is a 1000.2. the dish is up on the roof. any way of telling which i have (1000 vs 1000.2) via the various setup screens? [rather than getting up on the roof and attempting to measure).

if i have a 1000, would the best approach be to switch the 500 from 61.5 to 129? Or do you believe it would still be best to get a 1000.2 and use it instead? [and probably disconnect the 500 @ 61.5]. I am a bit hesitant to reposition the 500 away from 61.5 because with dish, you never know when they will require it again.

mikeinaustin,
I don't know how to tell, but I think I probably have the same setup you do, although with my 129 connected. It seems to work fine. Since you already have the DPP-44, why not try 129 again since they launched the new bird to there? (Ciel).

I'm up in Round Rock, so the same DMA as you.

In you area I would just go with the 1000.2 or as you said simply swing 61.5 around. You can always mark on the pole where 61.5 was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL

John... NHL CI games in HD are required to be scheduled on both 129 and 61.5 -- so if the game's not already showing in the Center Ice guide with the HD indicator you aren't going to get it regardless of whether or not you get the additional dish at 129 (even though Prime and FOXW are generally only required to be scheduled on 129 for RSN HD purposes).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)