119 and 129 with Dish 500?

256HDfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Can you use a Dish 500 to pick up 119 and 129 satellite only, instead of 110 and 119?

Can you use a Dish 500 to pick up 119 and 129 satellite only, instead of 110 and 119?

Yes. Just be sure to drop the elevation a few degrees and swing the azimuth more towards the west be a few degrees.
Actually, it is quite easy to do if you don't set the elevation right in the first place. I couldn't locate 110 at all and kept locking on 119/129 until I realized that the elevation was too low. You will get much better signal if you use the D500 solely for 129 with an I-adapter.

Is there anything I could find that would tell me what to set the elevation/skew to for 119 and 129 for my zip code?

What I am wanting to do is have a single dish for our football tailgate. I currently have a dish 500 that we used last year, but we are going to HD this year. The easiest thing to do would use the Dish 500 for the 61.5 satellite and I can get everything on that satellite (including my HD Locals) except for ESPN. And, you have to be able to get ESPN! So, I was thinking about using my Dish 500 to pick up 119 and 129 and then I would be able to get all the HD channels. (including my HD locals). For some reason, my market (Birmingham) HD locals are also on the 119 satellite. Would this solultion work?

If you want to be a real geek about it, you can calculate and adjust the skew value, too. I'd peak on 129 to ensure the best signal quality and then just put up with what you get from 119.

[edit] I don't think you'll have all of the HD programming, but I'm probably wrong. 110 carries a lot of HD that may or may not be on 61.5. [/edit]

Keep in mind ESPN HD is on the 110 satellite according to "the List" to see what channels are on what birds click on "the List" tab above, then select "Subscription List Home"
9424 ESPN (140) MPEG2 HD 110°W 07 8PSK ConUS beam Available

Keep in mind ESPN HD is on the 110 satellite according to "the List" to see what channels are on what birds click on "the List" tab above, then select "Subscription List Home"

Didn't realize that....so ESPN is on the 110 satellite only? For some reason I thought it was on 119.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)