12/08/08 Charlie Chat Will be Deal Breaker !

Here is what will happen on charlie chat. First he will have on guest from programs now airing on Dish. Then he will talk about analogue TV going bye bye and what Dish has to offer. Then he will promise more local HD and lastly he will talk about any new software updates. If this Wednesday Dish plans to launch more national, Charlie will talk about them,--if not he will not talk about any new HD programs.

Twitter / dishnetwork

Sounds like Charlie is filling up the program with interviews.

A Mark Cuban interview
A Maria Bartiromo interview
A Rachel Maddow (ew is all I have to say) interview

I'm sure they will talk about the Ciel-2 launch Wed. Probable more promoting of the DTVPal et. al. and the new Slingbox products.

Sounds like there will be plenty to talk about without talking about new programming.

Hmm...
Mark Cuban - HDNet's (wonder if Mav will be a part of it - double wonder if Charlie will ask him for stock tips)
Maria Bartiromo - CNBC - meh, we already have it....
Rachael Maddow - MSNBC (really doubt that)

Of course with the two NBCU reps, that might be a good omen.

But on the same token, people tell me I read WAY too much into things...

Here's a novel idea hows about Chuck announces a price freeze good thru Feb 2010 instead of keeping our prices locked thru Feb 2009..... Kind of like Schooner Tuna.....

I doubt that any major new Natinoal programming will be announced 36 hours before a major satellite launch.

I doubt that any major new National programming will be made available only 4 hours after a major satellite launch.

My guess (not based on any specific information) would be a Press Release on December 15th, and channels made available December 17th, allowing for satellite to be verified in good orbit, etc.

Again, it has been many many years since any new programming was first announced on the Charlie Chat...

I doubt that any major new National programming will be announced 36 hours before a major satellite launch.

I doubt that any major new National programming will be made available only 4 hours after a major satellite launch.

What does one have to do with the other? They just cleared space at 110. Has nothing to do with Ciel-2.

Again, it has been many many years since any new programming was first announced on the Charlie Chat...

4th time this has been posted today...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/128028-dish-network-retailer-chat-recap-march-12-2008-a.html#post1268112

My point is twofold...

1)New HD HAS been announced on the chat...relatively recently, in fact. Why are so many people insisting that this never happens?

2)A good 1/3rd of the stuff that was announced didn't pan out. So even if something is announced, who cares?

In other words, no matter what, the Charlie Chat is never a big deal.

What does one have to do with the other? They just cleared space at 110. Has nothing to do with Ciel-2.

4th time this has been posted today...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/128028-dish-network-retailer-chat-recap-march-12-2008-a.html#post1268112

My point is twofold...

1)New HD HAS been announced on the chat...relatively recently, in fact. Why are so many people insisting that this never happens?

2)A good 1/3rd of the stuff that was announced didn't pan out. So even if something is announced, who cares?

In other words, no matter what, the Charlie Chat is never a big deal.

Your points are well taken. I think its simply a matter of semantics, however: your reference isn't, as far as I recall, a link to an announcement of HD channels (as you point out, at least a third never panned out). It was merely Charlie throwing around the names of HD channels to make viewers think they definitely were on the way when, in fact, he knew that they might show up or they might not show up.

As you said, Charlie chats are almost never really a big deal when it comes to new national HD, which most everyone on these boards already realizes (even though we all hope we're wrong).

If Ciel-2 does not make it to 129, then Dish will have to eventually move 129 programming to 110.

So, they cannot use the space on 110, until they are sure that Ciel-2 is okay.

Good point...but we're talking about 7 channel slots. If E5 fails completely and Ciel-2 doesn't make it, simply holding off on ESPN-U isn't going to save them. That's a disaster scenario that would require more than putting a transponder in reserve.

Over the past 9 months, new TMP channels have usually meant new HD soon. That's why people have been slightly hopeful.

Good point...but we're talking about 7 channel slots. If E5 fails completely and Ciel-2 doesn't make it, simply holding off on ESPN-U isn't going to save them. That's a disaster scenario that would require more than putting a transponder in reserve.

But every little bit helps, and it is only 48 hours until they know whether the launch goes well or not.

Over the past 9 months, new TMP channels have usually meant new HD soon. That's why people have been slightly hopeful.

Next week is still "soon". ;)

HD Programming announcements on the Charlie Chat = nothing solid.

Not suprised here.

So, who is going to put up or shut up?

Who is canceling based on the underwhelming (I'm being generous) Charlie Chat?

I bet 0 people will. All talk. Just like to cry and whine. But we'll hear about them the at the next tech chat, or next ____ (insert random event here) acting like theyll leave.
Seriously give it a rest people. If you really need to go somewhere for "better" tv than dish can offer, please by all means do it. I get youre getting frustrated with dish's current situation, and I am too, truth be told. But, in all reality, its not like you can have your "ideal" service. Either you sub to Direct and get all the new channels as soon as they come out and have decent hardware, or you stay with Dish, get the channels whenever the hell charlie decides to pay, and get great hardware. choice is yours folks

As Charlie said tonight (paraphrase) " Our launch was delayed, so we may not have all those HD markets and national HD channels by the end of the year, but the satellite will be operational by February 1st at the latest, and maybe even the beginning of January, and we will be able to add more channels then. :

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)