129 and trees

terpsmandan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Somewhere near here
I just had Dish move my second dish from 61.5 to 129 so I could get BBC-A in HD. I am in 14527 and it the elevation is only 18 degrees. After the tech left, I noticed that the dish seemed to be aimed at the top of a large tree. The leaves haven't come in yet. Is this going to be a problem come summer or should I just see what happens?

I just had Dish move my second dish from 61.5 to 129 so I could get BBC-A in HD. I am in 14527 and it the elevation is only 18 degrees. After the tech left, I noticed that the dish seemed to be aimed at the top of a large tree. The leaves haven't come in yet. Is this going to be a problem come summer or should I just see what happens?

your dish picks up higher then it may actualy point ... if you know what 18 degrees is you might can see it ... you can just wait too see... if it is affected , usually you might see the signal change in windy weather as the branches... usually like from say 80% to 60 % or 70%... not 80% to 79 %

Hi, off set dishes shoot about 22 degrees higher then they look so if the dish looks it is aimed at the top of a tree it should be well over the top. I would also think the tech checked using an inclinometer before moving the dish. If the dish is easy to access you could try sighting just under the bottom edge of the rim of the dish and look up toward the LNB. That should give you a better idea where the dish is really pointing. Hope this helps, DC

Hi,

I had a recent install here too of a 1000.2 dish. My set-up is currently working OK after having to do a re-alignment of the dish. However, I have my doubts that the 129 sat will work when the leaves come on the trees. The 129 from this location is 242 (magn) and 22.7 (deg). Using an inclinometer and a compass, it sure looks like I am looking through the top of a tree on sat 129. I guess time will tell, lol!

Does anybody know how long the installation warranty lasts? I have the service plan free for six months, but why should I have to pay a $15 service call if the installation was botched?

Ed

Does anybody know how long the installation warranty lasts? I have the service plan free for six months, but why should I have to pay a $15 service call if the installation was botched?

Ed

Well if it works fine and the install was good, waiting a year for a service call is good since you don't wanna screw the tech over - anything less than a year is a TC on Techs and can cost them money so just think of that too. Techs are usually told a 5 degree bubble or don't put it in and that's exactly what I do now. I used to put them in with less than 2 degrees just to make someone happy but you can't trust the customer (SORRY- its the truth) so I will refuse it if I can't get 5 degree's at some point on their property and even then if its too far away from the home I'll refuse it just from the cable run distance may hurt signal levels and the Quality inspectors will look for anything to take your money.

Well if it works fine and the install was good, waiting a year for a service call is good since you don't wanna screw the tech over - anything less than a year is a TC on Techs and can cost them money so just think of that too.
Yes, I agree. I'm not looking to bust any chops or cost the tech money. :) I just hope it stays working. It kinda of looks like it may be a close call. If it quits working when the leaves come on, I would have to call for service.

Thanks for your comments.

Ed

Yes, I agree. I'm not looking to bust any chops or cost the tech money. :) I just hope it stays working. It kinda of looks like it may be a close call. If it quits working when the leaves come on, I would have to call for service.

Ed[/QUOTE

I have very tall trees to the West and had a 1000.2 as well as a 500 for locals in HD on 61.5. Worked great in the winter but a real PITA in the summer when the trees leaved out. Finally got swapped to a 1000.4 which solved my problem about a year ago. They did it @ no cost, except for the $20 I happily tipped the installer--great guy for a change. It was either that or cable which I DID NOT want to do.
Best of luck to you!

ANOTHER Ed.:)

Thanks for the info. Now its time to "move". Rochester, NY seems to be in no Dish HD local land.

Terpsmandan,

The Rochester NY HD Locals are currently being uplinked to 77. I would guess Rochester NY HD Locals will be available in HD from Dish by the Middle of the Summer at the latest.

John

Ed

If it starts getting limbs and a few leafs blocking it just cut a a few branches off...why waste all that time moving the dish and so on when you can just trim a few branches? I tell people this all the time when I do a install and a tree may become a problem in the future to just trim it...simple solution but what do you think happens? They call and complain anyway and the tech gets hit for it. :rolleyes:

If it starts getting limbs and a few leafs blocking it just cut a a few branches off...why waste all that time moving the dish and so on when you can just trim a few branches? I tell people this all the time when I do a install and a tree may become a problem in the future to just trim it...simple solution but what do you think happens? They call and complain anyway and the tech gets hit for it. :rolleyes:

NOT a "simple solution" for a multiple trees (think woods/forest), all well over 150' high.:rolleyes:;):)

Ed

recently

I had to cut a tree down recently, Had I done it that way I would have had to remove it from my roof. It was next to the house and I had to cut it a large limb at at time. It came down just like i wanted it to. 1 minor problem when 1 of the limbs came down it went exactly where I wanted it to. The problem was it bounced and took out 2 window panes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts