129 Dropouts, Low sig level

jazfel

Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
ISSUE: Low signal levels and dropouts on 129 (Denver locals)

DETAILS: Tune to a local channel and about 50% of the time get sat lost message. Of course, this is a little worse with precip in the area.

QUESTION: I know there is a problem with that bird. Are these "lost sat" messages normal because of this or should I call out the tech for a repoint?

Thank You!

ISSUE: Low signal levels and dropouts on 129 (Denver locals)

DETAILS: Tune to a local channel and about 50% of the time get sat lost message. Of course, this is a little worse with precip in the area.

QUESTION: I know there is a problem with that bird. Are these "lost sat" messages normal because of this or should I call out the tech for a repoint?

Thank You!

Yes, I would ask for a re-point... make sure its gratis, as 129 is sick (12 missing solar panels, unstable orbit; has to be repositioned, approximately 2x per hour). When the field tech arrives, confirm trip-ticket is at Dish's expense. If not, have it cleared prior to work.

Its tough on the field techs, but you shouldn't have to pay for Dish's SAT issues.

Understand, Dish is not informing CSRs and TSRs of 129's problems... they know little, so don't blame them — its company MO (I believe, to prevent a 'Fire-Sale').

Best of luck...

Yes, I would ask for a re-point... make sure its gratis, as 129 is sick (12 missing solar panels, unstable orbit; has to be repositioned, approximately 2x per hour). When the field tech arrives, confirm trip-ticket is at Dish's expense. If not, have it cleared prior to work.

Its tough on the field techs, but you shouldn't have to pay for Dish's SAT issues.

Understand, Dish is not informing CSRs and TSRs of 129's problems... they know little, so don't blame them — its company MO (I believe, to prevent a 'Fire-Sale').

Best of luck...

Thanks for your expertise, FCom911. Much appreciated! :D

Job Opening!

If you contact Dish Network you might be able to apply for the "In Flight Mechanic" job and be on hand to take any corrective action needed to correct signal strength problems. :wave

Jazfel...

? Do you have 1 dish pointed at the 129??? If not, that will help in your area...a 24" dish pointed directly at the 129. Not sure if DISH is doing that everywhere, but they started doing that UP here as a standard. Usually the dishes are 18", but not big enough here.

Probably yes...

Although DISH installed a 24" dish pointed at the 129 (after finding out that the 18" didn't work), we also tried a 1000+ dish, because of the larger size thinking bigger is better, but it turned out that the 24" pointed at the 129 was a "little" better in not losing signal. When it's separate it can be focused better. However, you have to factor in that the sat is falling out of the sky, and trying to focus on it when it is in its optimum spot can be tricky...cause it does start to fall 2x an hour.

NOTE: All the visits by DISH were "free".

My re-point resolved my 'Signal Loss Error Code 002'. Others are reporting similar.

levibluewa resides in the Pacific NW and is, unfortunately, residing on the edge of 129's present, low power footprint. The SAT's movement, plays hell with his reception. :(

If you are in the NW a dedicated Dish is probably the best solution. The multisatellite dishes are compromises to get 3 satellites rather than 1, they work in areas that the signal is good. When you have a satellite that barely covers the area and it rotates out of position a couple times an hour, a compromise dish just is not going to cover for it.

129 will not work for me

We have some trees in the way, so says the teck guy. Anyway the 500 dish points just fine at 110 and 119, but barely at the 129. So now after the teck guy visited us today we have just 4 HD channels all on the 110. The 129 is positioned too far off to work well with the trees and the this dish can not be moved to a different place in the yard. Either that or the Teck guy just would not take the time to try harder. He points the dish at the 129 and the recieption is 1/2 poor and the weak on the 110/119. Then points the dish at the 110/119 and the 129 is gone
completley.

Some say to try 2 different dishes. Would this work any better? Also the teck guy said to me that DirectTV HD comes off a satellite further east and would work for us better that Dish for HD. Also the 129 is not stable in orbit? Is there any move from dish to try harder, move to a different satellite? I see other also have problems with the 129. Any idea? :eureka

We have some trees in the way, so says the teck guy. Anyway the 500 dish points just fine at 110 and 119, but barely at the 129. So now after the teck guy visited us today we have just 4 HD channels all on the 110. The 129 is positioned too far off to work well with the trees and the this dish can not be moved to a different place in the yard. Either that or the Teck guy just would not take the time to try harder. He points the dish at the 129 and the recieption is 1/2 poor and the weak on the 110/119. Then points the dish at the 110/119 and the 129 is gone
completley.

Some say to try 2 different dishes. Would this work any better? Also the teck guy said to me that DirectTV HD comes off a satellite further east and would work for us better that Dish for HD. Also the 129 is not stable in orbit? Is there any move from dish to try harder, move to a different satellite? I see other also have problems with the 129. Any idea? :eureka

You have a couple of options, Steve...

1.) Yes, you could get a separate dish for 129... as to the trees, I don't know where Dish stands on such obstructions... One would assume they'd put a dedicated dish in a location (if feasible) for you, at no additional cost.

2.) There's always a separate 61.5 option, as well, but keep in mind, Ceil2 *, is scheduled for a November launch date to replace the existing sick 129 bird... From what I've read, Dish is planning to lease all of the TPs.... It could be online in as little as 30 days from launch and as long as 90 days...

In either case, one would assume Dish would send a field tech out and resolve your HD/Local issues.

Good luck ;)

* Ceil2 Launch Thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/142990-ciel-2-now-scheduled-november.html

Recent Issues with 129

I signed up with E* about 4-5 months ago with HD absolute so I get most of my channels from 129. My signal strength was fairly strong and it only cut out about twice in the first 3 months due to heavy rain. Recently in the past 2 weeks my HD channels are cutting out more and more. I checked my dish outside and it was mounted very sturdy on a pole and there are no trees in front of the dish nearby. I checked 110 and 119 and the signals from those 2 are strong. My question, Is there anything I can do on my end without having to pay for a tech guy to come out.. or is this a sign that 129 is on the fritz? I am in Wilmington, NC

Thanks

It's one indication of why some of us had to switch to Directv upon the advice of the DISH corporate installer. DISHs philosophy of ignore the problem and it'll just go away. What happened is their subscribers had to go away.

Best option with DISH is a separtate dish pointed at the 129. A DISH installed 24" dish is better than the 18". I don't believe they've stocked 30" dishes (freebies) for problem areas. Far as I know 24" is the max., although 1 person mentioned that they installed a 30 for him; don't know.

Other option...wait for the new sat...Dec. 08-Mar. 09.

OR, move to Directv, 1 dish, no picture loss.

Echostar V has been a problem since it was moved to 129W, this is nothing new. All you can hope is that Ceil2 is launched soon and the problems will go away. Most of us have been using a separate dish for 129 and people in the PNW are using bigger dishes (24'' or 30").

A lot of people got tired of 129 and just switched to Directv and I don't blame them.

I have a fairly new Dish 1000.2 install and I stayed on the installers case to maximize my 129 signal. It still was far less than 110 or 118. I have better signal strength than my next door neighbor, a Dish employee, who had his unit installed by Dish as part of a test-out of the new hardware a few years ago (i.e., his Dish was optimized by Dish employee technicians, so it's probably about as good as pointing gets). We both get the dropouts on the 129 broadcasts, especially Denver HD locals, because the bird is dying.

Bottom line, you can request a re-pointing of your Dish antenna, but don't expect it to do any good. It appears your best option is to jump to D*, unless you are on a commitment to Dish. Otherwise, wait until next year when the 129 bird is replaced.

jazfel,

I had an early Dish 1000, which didn't work for 129 here in Seattle. I bought a 30 inch dish over the internet. It was just a matter of moving the LNBF from the Dish 1000 to the 30 inch dish. I haven't had a dropout on 129 since then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts