129 has dropped!!!!

blownbayou

Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
South
I would say on Tuesday (23rd) I basically lost all of my 129 channels.......I get 4-8 on the signal meter. Now if I remember right, this happened to me last year about this time. I called DISH after about a week waiting to see if it would come back and the day I call....I got signal back. Is this a location/horizon problem??? I live in South Louisiana and my SD birds are coming in without a problem. 30+ modified signal on the SD birds. My dish is Waaaaayyy up on a pole and I really do not want to climb up there for nothing. If anyone else has had this problem...Chime in. I have read about putting up another dish (30") for 129 but I feel DISH should accomodate that....GOOD LUCK WITH THAT RIGHT????

All input is appreciated and go easy on the noob poster......Might be a noob poster but have been dealing with Sats for awhile now.

Thanks

Last edited:
Also in southern Louisiana, not seeing the same low signal strength as you but have noticed significant signal strength drop in the last few days in the afternoon say between 2 and 4 pm, i.e. normal average signal strength is 65, but when the strength drops my average is around 35. Thought it may have to do with sun spots or possibly a failing lnb, or even the fact that it has been over 100 degrees the last few days but around 6 pm the signal strength goes up

Bob

I remember the "tech" guy saying he had trouble finding it (Last year) and once he did, it was not strong......30ish

I guess I will have to wait it out for a couple of weeks......If not better then, climbing I will go

I remember the "tech" guy saying he had trouble finding it (Last year) and once he did, it was not strong......30ish

I guess I will have to wait it out for a couple of weeks......If not better then, climbing I will go
That was last year. Ceil 2 went live in early 2009 ending the 129 issues. Get your dish ajusted.

heat related

Also in southern Louisiana, not seeing the same low signal strength as you but have noticed significant signal strength drop in the last few days in the afternoon say between 2 and 4 pm, i.e. normal average signal strength is 65, but when the strength drops my average is around 35. Thought it may have to do with sun spots or possibly a failing lnb, or even the fact that it has been over 100 degrees the last few days but around 6 pm the signal strength goes up

Bob

If you are seeing this everyday during these times it sounds like it is a heat related problem. Most likely you need a new LNB.

Have this problem also for several years at my in-laws in Florida. Finally it was diagnosed. Problem is heat related to the lnbs. During summmer months the lnbs heat up more than usual(especially when temps go over 90 degrees) and causes drift in the oscillator. They would get reduced signal. Then as it cools down there is a lot of moisture/condensation inside the unit. We changed all lnbs, dish receivers(even upgraded receiver), cables, switches, before narrowing it down to the lnb/heat.

Bob

same thing in north Louisiana :rant:

That was last year. Ceil 2 went live in early 2009 ending the 129 issues. Get your dish ajusted.

Thanks to all but this was the solution........I climbed up a borrowed ladder (good 25 to 30 feet high), switched on the outside speakers to hear the tone and started to untighten the two screws holding the dish pointed. I moved the dish about 3-5 degrees to the east and went from low tone (4-5 signal strength) to a MASSIVE 70+ high tone on the 129!!!!!!!!! Not only that...I am getting 70+ on the other two birds as well (up from 35ish on both)!!!!

Thanks for all the input on this :up:D

Thanks to all but this was the solution........I climbed up a borrowed ladder (good 25 to 30 feet high), switched on the outside speakers to hear the tone and started to untighten the two screws holding the dish pointed. I moved the dish about 3-5 degrees to the east and went from low tone (4-5 signal strength) to a MASSIVE 70+ high tone on the 129!!!!!!!!! Not only that...I am getting 70+ on the other two birds as well (up from 35ish on both)!!!!

Thanks for all the input on this :up:D
70's are a very strong signal. Don't let the Talk about D* signals in the 90's fool you into thinking their signal is stronger, because its not.
Its 2 completely different scales. Just incase you might have thought that.:)
E* used to use a scale all the way up to 125%, But last year a software release cut the signal strength meter almost in half on the VIP receivers.

Good range is 30's through ,up to 80's being perfect. Average is 40's-70's in my house.
20-30 is bottom of the barrel without interuption. But wouldn't recommend your levels to be this low. Maybe on an extreme stormy day. Or Really Heavy sleet. Not under normal conditions.

IF DISH would cut their meter scale down to 75 ,instead of 125 , a lot of this confusion over good signals would become a non issue.

As far as I'm concerned, 30's is not good signal for most sats, if it's clear skies. Picture drops out at 17...if you're in the 30's, it's not going to take much.

I'm at about 70 on TP11 for 110/119 on clear days, and about 60 for 61.5. Don't use 129 here though - 30'd probably be a great signal for that bird here.

I have had a signal problem since the 1000.2 install, a year ago. Both the 612 & 211 show low signal strength for 129. As of this minute I can only get 23% out of transponder 21, that's the highest strength of all transponders. Sats 110 & 119 have between 65-70 on different transponders. I have tried minute adjustments while checking signal strength on receiver.

Is there a certain method to make these adjustments while checking the receiver? Of the three different adjustment points, how to move the dish without having to re-adjust the other points?

I just did a check-switch and all are green. When I tune to channel 311- it goes through an acquiring sat. signal and finally displays - ERROR Satellite signal lost. Sometimes, sometimes not, the HD channel will finally come in at this point.

When I am lucky enough to get a HD channel, andy type of cloud cover knocks the HD channels out completely.

I have had a signal problem since the 1000.2 install, a year ago. Both the 612 & 211 show low signal strength for 129. As of this minute I can only get 23% out of transponder 21, that's the highest strength of all transponders. Sats 110 & 119 have between 65-70 on different transponders. I have tried minute adjustments while checking signal strength on receiver.

Is there a certain method to make these adjustments while checking the receiver? Of the three different adjustment points, how to move the dish without having to re-adjust the other points?

I just did a check-switch and all are green. When I tune to channel 311- it goes through an acquiring sat. signal and finally displays - ERROR Satellite signal lost. Sometimes, sometimes not, the HD channel will finally come in at this point.

When I am lucky enough to get a HD channel, andy type of cloud cover knocks the HD channels out completely.

Usually the best approach is to flex the dish to see what direction increases SS. In other words, grab the antenna by the edges and gently flex the dish (L-R azimuth or Up-down elevation). After seeing what affects the SS, make the appropriate adjustment. Just be careful when flexing as you don't want to bend the antenna. If you do, you'll be buying and installing another. If you're getting those high SS on 110/119, the adjustment needed would be minimal. It might just be the antenna is slightly out of shape.

Why not sign up for the DHPP for $6 and get a $29 service call for the adjustment. Drop the DHPP afterwards. You could also try installing a 61.5 wing dish (D500 with dual or single LNB) and plug it into the 1000.2 LNB IN port. I'd get E* out to do the adjustment if you can't make an improvement yourself. It'd be worth the $29 and you may get a new antenna out of the truck roll if the tech can't get more signal strength either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)