129 Reception in Central PA

makvet

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I have looked at the 129 maps from the website and it looks like I live on the fringes at which I still might be able to obtain signal.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience (installer, etc) in obtaining the 129 orbital from cental PA (ZIP 16801)

I currenly have a wing dish at 61.5 and was considering moving this to 129 if possible for the fall to watch the Broncos in action.

I do live on a hill with clear views all around.

Any help is appreciated.

i live in roaring springs, pa and dish told me to use 61.5

I understand the use of 61.5, that is why I also have that setup.

The real question is has anyone had any experience obtaining the 129 signal from this area? Not what dish recommends.

I understand the use of 61.5, that is why I also have that setup.

The real question is has anyone had any experience obtaining the 129 signal from this area? Not what dish recommends.

Makvet,

If you are looking for a ONE Dish solution then I suggest you FORGET it. The Dish 1000 (which can receive 129, 119, and 110) is a compromise Dish that will NOT maximize signal strength for ALL THREE Slots. In other words your signal strength will NOT be as high as with THREE separate Dish's for all three orbital slots.

Since you live in a FRINGE area for reception of 129, your signal strength for 129 with a Dish 1000 will be marginal especially when rain Fade becomes a problem.

Remember that 61.5 has all the National HD Programing available from 129 in addition to the Dish HD Demo Channel. None of the HD Local markets NOR any of the Regional HD sports feeds will be available to you anyway.

So my point is why are you so set on receiving 129 instead of 61.5? On the East Coast and Northeast 61.5 will provide you with VASTLY superior signal strength. 129 has no added programing you would be able to see from your location, unless you "MOVED" your service address to an address you do NOT actuall reside at, to qualify for a Local HD market channels you are NOT actually in.

The only other reason might be LOS, and since Elevation angle for 61.5 is fairly High on the East Coast this should not really be a problem. Remember that All DBS Dishes are Offset by 22 degrees, which means that the Satellite Signal is coming into the Dish at an angle of 22 Degrees HIGHER than the apparent Angle of the Dish's Reflector in relation to the ground. I've seen Dish's that seem to look directly into a Wall, Roof or Clump of Trees, and the Dish receives a Great Signal.

John

Makvet,

If you are looking for a ONE Dish solution then I suggest you FORGET it. The Dish 1000 (which can receive 129, 119, and 110) is a compromise Dish that will NOT maximize signal strength for ALL THREE Slots. In other words your signal strength will NOT be as high as with THREE separate Dish's for all three orbital slots.

Since you live in a FRINGE area for reception of 129, your signal strength for 129 with a Dish 1000 will be marginal especially when rain Fade becomes a problem.

Remember that 61.5 has all the National HD Programing available from 129 in addition to the Dish HD Demo Channel. None of the HD Local markets NOR any of the Regional HD sports feeds will be available to you anyway.

So my point is why are you so set on receiving 129 instead of 61.5? On the East Coast and Northeast 61.5 will provide you with VASTLY superior signal strength. 129 has no added programing you would be able to see from your location, unless you "MOVED" your service address to an address you do NOT actuall reside at, to qualify for a Local HD market channels you are NOT actually in.

The only other reason might be LOS, and since Elevation angle for 61.5 is fairly High on the East Coast this should not really be a problem. Remember that All DBS Dishes are Offset by 22 degrees, which means that the Satellite Signal is coming into the Dish at an angle of 22 Degrees HIGHER than the apparent Angle of the Dish's Reflector in relation to the ground. I've seen Dish's that seem to look directly into a Wall, Roof or Clump of Trees, and the Dish receives a Great Signal.

John

I understand completely that I am not gaining anything by using 129 over 61.5 (Actually losing signal most likely). The ONLY reason I want to know if it can be done is because I am a Denver Broncos fan living in the NE. So the only thing I am asking is if anyone out there has had experience obtaining that satellite from my area? Then I may be able to "move" and watch my Broncos every week instead of switching to Directv.

I understand completely that I am not gaining anything by using 129 over 61.5 (Actually losing signal most likely). The ONLY reason I want to know if it can be done is because I am a Denver Broncos fan living in the NE. So the only thing I am asking is if anyone out there has had experience obtaining that satellite from my area? Then I may be able to "move" and watch my Broncos every week instead of switching to Directv.

Makvet,

You will NOT be able to "MOVE" every week. If you want to move, it would more or less permanent or at best 1-2 times per year without attracting Dish's attention. Dish is not likely to let you move every week.

Maybe once or twice per year without double checking. By Moving you are telling Dish you now reside inside another Areas Designated market, by law you are breaking the law by receiving out of market signals inside another DMA without permission from your Local Rights holder (in this Case your local CBS affiliate). Dish would be complicate by offering those signals to you either knowing or surmising you are bypassing your local market signals and getting Out of market signals. Dish wouldn't likely do anything if you moved once or twice a year, but if you do it every week for the weekend you are likely to get in trouble or at least lose that ability to move your service address, if you "Abuse" it.

With that said eastern PA is a crap shoot at 129. In Central PA you will need a single Dish to pickup 129, I'd go with at least a Dish 500 with an "I" adapter. Better yet would be a 24 inch Dish for 129.

John

129 in State College is going to be shaky. First, it's a bit under 20 degrees elevation, so the look angle is a bit lower than you're probably used to (but it's not impossible, especially considering the terrain you describe). Second, this really is the fringe when you look at the usable footprint of this satellite. About 35 miles east of you, I can see the bird, but cannot get a reliable lock. I'd not want to rely on it using an 18" dish.

I live in Altoona (16602) I have a Dish1000 receiving 110,119,129. I have had no problems at all with signal (including heavy rain and snow). P.S. I work in "Roaring Spring" there is only one spring there... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)