15 Years with Directv and, for the first time, I am thinking of switching to Dish. Pros/cons?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rob68

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
St Charles, IL 60175
This my first post on the Dish forum and leading up to it I have read many other posts while looking to make sure I am not reposting the same ol' same ol'. I couldn't find one that is looking for exactly what I am looking for but still apologize if this is a retread.

Background: I have been with Directv for 15 yrs and have had the Sunday ticket for 12 yrs. I cancelled it prior to last season due to the rising cost and the lockout and did not renew this year due to too many family sporting events of my own. The ticket was the primary reason why I never looked into anything other than Dtv. Now that I don't have it and have seen the price that new subscribers are paying compared to what I pay (about half as much a month along with other perks; Sunday ticket for rest of the yr, Genie, and 3 months premium for free). I called up to negotiate and wasn't able to get as much as I was looking for to stay. I know that there will be more negotiations if/when I call to cancel so I want to see what is better for me for the next 2 years (I don't mind signing a 2 yr contract as I am used to it from Dtv).

Currently, I only have 2 Dtv boxes and they are the standard stand alone models with no "whole-home" dvr set up. I am looking to upgrade in that area either with the Hopper or Genie as well as add 2 more boxes. I don't know much about what else Dish offers or the advantages of Dish vs. Directv. I do like sports a great deal but the majority of my teams are local so I would hope that they would be covered on one of the packages I went with. Movies are nice but we typically just use Redbox. I don't know much about technology in this area.

Any help, advice, pros/cons would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a channel guide print out for Dish so that I can see what all channels I can get and what I would give up from Directv?

Thanks!

To do a good comparison, I would look at the Hopper forum here, especially some of the newer posts with the newer software. The account cost is $10, then the first Hoppa costs nothing per month, a Joey is $7, as is another Hoppa which many people will want two.
You should see if someone posts that gets the same RSN's you do, to make sure you do get them, and if most of the games are in HD. Dish does not carry RSN's in HD 24hrs, but does most often have the games in HD. If that is important make sure you will get what you want for sports.

Then look at the Dish website to compare what they have in their packages for channels. Most likely you will find a few more in HD than Direct has, other than sports.

I just left Direct after being with them for many years. I'm really happy with my two Hoppers and the service in general. Plus the discounts don't hurt. I have the Top 200 package and it has The B1G Network included. Their sports pack has lots of RSN's along with Redzone(No Sunday Ticket Required) It also has Pac 12 and B1G networks if you don't like in those zones.

I was afraid to leave Direct but now that I have been with Dish for a little over a month I could not be happier. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

By the way Welcome to the board!! Lots of good people here who can help you out. They sure did help me out with all my questions and ordering Dish.

The life story is interesting but we need to know what you want in the future as opposed to what is no longer making you happy.

Since sports is important, you need to be specific about what networks and/or which teams. We cannot guess which ones you need/want.

It would also be useful if you gave a more complete breakdown of the features you need at each TV and whether they would benefit from sharing content. The term "boxes" doesn't distinguish between receivers and DVRs and that's an important distinction. If you're not sure how to describe the boxes, use model numbers.

http://www.mydish.com/programmingGuides/

Here are the channel guides. I can only speak from my experience with my local RSN, but this past season every Tiger baseball game except for two rain out make ups were in HD. Many of us who have moved on from Direct to Dish and enjoy sports have survived :) but each person has there own criteria for sports coverage.

I made the switch back in April and I am extremely happy with my 2 hopper/3 Joey setup. The customer support (especially having access to the DiRT members) runs circles around what I had with DTV. The speed of the hoppers/joeys in regards to the channel changing and guide is so much faster then the HR21 I sent Bach. I also have the sling adapter and it works well, I was looking to get a nomad with DTV but there is still no iPad support for it.

With that said if you do not get what you want and do cancel, then rest assured the day after you cancel they will offer you the world to stay. The last offer I just received a few weeks ago was for a Genie and up to 4 rooms for free, plus Sunday ticket and all types of programming as well as $200 towards my ETF.

Funny thing is that when they crippled my Tivos and were giving everyone the run around and incorrect information, all I wanted was replacement DVRs and they wouldn't do it. Then they cancel me without talking to retentions and boom they offer me way more to come back.

So you are actually in the drivers seat and no matter which way you go, you will come out ahead.

Harshness - thanks for the feedback. Sorry for not being specific on some of the things you mentioned. I assumed people would see my location (St Charles, IL) and realize it was Chicago...I suppose I should've just said so. I am in the Chicagoland area and my teams are local (Bears, Bulls, Hawks, Cubs/Sox, and Illini -big 10 network) though I do like to watch out of market games as well (for example; I love watching the Ducks football games as well as other college football games I get on my sports package with Directv. I do pay extra ($12/month) for the Directv sports package and would be open to doing so with Dish if they have one. As for complete breakdown of what features I want, I don't know much about what is out there bc I have had basic sat service with Directv for 15 yrs. I have 2 boxes now (HR22-100 and an HR24-200). I had 2 other boxes (older than both of the aforementioned ones) but they died. I am looking to have a 4 box set up with either the Hopper-Joey set up or the new Genie thing that Dtv is pushing now. I have read a bit about Slingbox as well and would be interested in that as well if it is an option. Also, I am interested in finding/hearing about anything else that is new out there. Thanks again...

I was a long time Direct customer, (1999 to 2011) left for Dish-net and got a good deal.......too bad the good deal expired after 12 mos. I just came back to Direct and got all new equip, HR34, 1 Client. Now that i have had both i can say that i like Direct much better. (just my preference) there isn't a lot of difference between the two. price is about the same and the service is also. (at least for me).

I'm a happy camper ..................... just do what feels good to you!!!

Rob, I'm near Milwaukee but I get CSN Chicago. It is not in HD 24/7, so if you watch Sportsnet Central, or Bears Postgame, they will not be in HD. However, almost all of the games are HD. The only time the Sox (and I assume Cubs) are not in HD is early in the season, when the Hawks or Bulls are in the playoffs, and those games are in HD. If you can live with that for a handful of baseball games in April, (or longer if we're lucky), then I would say Dish is worth it.

I just thought of something else. With Dish, ESPNU is not in HD. Also, every game I've ever watched on BTN has been in HD.

Last edited:
Keep in mind- the Sling Adapter & the Slingbox are two different things. The former works with Dish equipment; the latter works with most anything. There i$ a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts