16 year old kid leaving highschool to play baseball

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Did anyone catch this story about this 16 year old kid dropping out of High School to try to get drafted in the MLB in 2010?

Why I mostly support Bryce Harper's decision to skip high school - Big Leag... - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

I don't care how good the kid is at playing baseball, I think he needs to finish High School like everyone else.

There are alot of important things that can be learned in High School in the last 2 years, and I think that along with the Maturity that goes along with it makes a big difference.

I think this whole thing is fueled by Greed on the part of the parents, since if this kid does get drafted there would be a signing bonus of a few million dollars..

It makes sense for the money, but there needs to be a good plan B for this kid if it turns out he sucks at baseball in the big leagues, or gets injured and can't play.

The rule, for US and Canadian players, is that you have to be 17 and have finished HS.

The kid, who was held back for athletic purposes to thus be a year older than his classmates, is 16 and in the 10th Grade.

He will take a GED, play community college baseball for a year and get drafted at 17, when he "should" be finishing his junior year of HS.

If a kid with a 10th grade education can pass the GED, that says a lot for the GED. In my state they will not allow this, you have to be 21 to participate in the GED system. That sounds about right to me.

Latin players, where life is hard. most live on a dollar a day, and education is not compulsory, are signed (the draft only applies to North Americans) at 17 as a matter of course, and often these people have no education at all.

The junior hockey system pretty much robs kids of HS, not to mention women's tennis or the sideshow act that is Michelle (I can't even beat the girls) Wie.

Hey, if the kid can really get a signing bonus (he should not, no one should, just another part of baseball's broken economic system) and wants to invest it against an injury, fine.

But don't send DeFord out to do some sob story when he is dealing Pai Gow at the Border Station in 2025.

In Latin America, players get drafted at 16 all of the time. This is nothing new. OF COURSE this is all driven by $$$$. Just wait till you see the signing bonus and contract this years #1 draft pic, Stephen Strasburg gets...this story you have here will pale in comparison.

If a kid with a 10th grade education can pass the GED, that says a lot for the GED. In my state they will not allow this, you have to be 21 to participate in the GED system. That sounds about right to me.
I've seen the GED (had a summer job in college tutoring people for it). The test is a joke, and can be passed by a 9th grader.
The GED itself only requires people to be 16, but most states raise the requirement to be over 18.

I've seen the GED (had a summer job in college tutoring people for it). The test is a joke, and can be passed by a 9th grader.
The GED itself only requires people to be 16, but most states raise the requirement to be over 18.

In KY you can't take the GED until your high school class that you would have been with graduates.

Bryce Harper was dubbed "The Chosen One" by Sports Illustrated. A title previously given to LeBron James as a Junior in High School.

bryceharpersi-230x300.jpg

He's already 6'3" at the age of 16. He's a catcher, he's super athletic and is hitting over .600!

As for him staying in school, I can see both sides to the argument. However, to play devil's advocate, if he's "that sure of a thing," then why wouldn't he want to start his professional career ASAP? He's a big boy and he can make his own decisions. Who is anyone (besides his parents) to tell the kid how to make a living? He can always return to school if Baseball doesn't work out.

Bryce Harper was dubbed "The Chosen One" by Sports Illustrated. A title previously given to LeBron James as a Junior in High School.

He's already 6'3" at the age of 16. He's a catcher, he's super athletic and is hitting over .600!

As for him staying in school, I can see both sides to the argument. However, to play devil's advocate, if he's "that sure of a thing," then why wouldn't he want to start his professional career ASAP? He's a big boy and he can make his own decisions. Who is anyone (besides his parents) to tell the kid how to make a living? He can always return to school if Baseball doesn't work out.

Uh oh.....I agree 100%! LOL!;):p

In couple of years when he signs with somebody in MLB, his bonus will make a high school diploma seem unnecessary. Just the same, I hate to see kids robbed of their childhood. He should stay in school, but we all know he wont. Just too much money waiting for him.

He's a catcher that throws 96mph?! Talk about versatility...

The real question is..can he run faster than 96mph???? If so, I see him playing pitcher and catcher simultaneously.

Who is anyone (besides his parents) to tell the kid how to make a living? He can always return to school if Baseball doesn't work out.

I agree. Personally, if it were my kid, I would want him to finish school. However, his parents are actually helping him do this. So, if that's what they want more power to 'em.

So far, no one has mentioned the possibility of human growth hormone figuring into this. It was simply not possible for James to have filled out at the early age that he did without some chemical enhancement.

But if it is indeed undetectable, then I imagine that everyone is doing it by now.

Before you make any judgement on his decision, you should check out the video clip of this kid.....

Bryce Harper punches his ticket to Cooperstown at age 16 - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

He hit a 501' bomb at Tropicana field during BP, the longest shot ever at that park and he's only 16 years old. I agree with the author, him staying in HS ball will do nothing but slow down his progress.

I agree that playing HS Ball is doing nothing for the kid. I read the article in SI. His dad said he had to sit through a game that Bryce's team won 31-1.... How miserable to be on the team that has to play against this kid. I also remember reading something in there about a 2nd basemen actually jumping out of the way like he had been shot at, when Harper hit a ball toward him.

So far, no one has mentioned the possibility of human growth hormone figuring into this. It was simply not possible for James to have filled out at the early age that he did without some chemical enhancement.

But if it is indeed undetectable, then I imagine that everyone is doing it by now.

...now add the new technologies in aluminum bats.....and you have a "young frankenstein"....

It is true that HS ball has been left far behind in this case, but this seems like a case of pure greed on the part of the parents, to me anyway. If he is that good, and it certianly seems so, then pro ball will still be there in a year or two. I am probably in the minority on this, but I just hate to see kids sucked into this at such a young age. IMO, they are simply not mature enough to handle the rigors of a professional career.

I also wonder (as another poster brought up) if he had any "help".
That said, the kid is a beast, and best of luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)