$17 fee for returning vip211!

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I decided to cut one of my three receivers. I called Dish they are sending me a box. Now I get an email stating that if I use the enclosed label, my account will be charged $17. I knew that they charged for returning receivers when you closed your account, but I thought that they paid shipping as long as you still had other receivers? Is this another new fee?

Certainly not new, a couple years ago I returned a 722 and it would cost me $15, so I asked them to give me an address and I went to the local USPS and returned it for $8.

I have the Protection Plan (or whatever the official name of it is; they have changed the name of it too often), and I was NEVER charged any shipping fee when I returned 2 leased receivers that I no longer wanted on my account. At least I believe they didn't charge because of my enrollment in Protection Plan. I got FREE shipping it back to them. Yes, I too, have heard of Dish charging shipping to return leased receivers that you no longer want on your account. I'm sure from their view, YOU are the one costing THEM money if they were to take back the leased boxes. I still think it a bit PETTY for Dish to charge as people are STILL customers. It's not the as if Dish is letting the door hit you on the way out when you cancel service/account, which they do, in fact, do when one leaves, but I think even that is not a good way to end a business relationship.

I'm also thinking about returning my 211 and trading in my 922 for 722 and run 2 TVs - I'm rarely using Slingbox feature.
I wonder if they'll charge me $100 to get the old 722!

Petty interesting article of behind the scenes on dish - how tight they are running the business, making sure they get every $
out of employees, and I guess same for us, customers:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-network-meanest-company-america-194008712.html?page=1

It would be too easy to just return to your local blockbuster video (If they are still in business)
Dish is selling installs through their few remaining BBV stores, so it is only natural that they could do equipment returns (not exchanges, that would be asking too much of BBV's ill-trained employees). Seeing how thin their stock of discs are in their stores (my local Family Video has close to twice the inventory), there should be tons of room to store receivers until they're shipped back to Dish.

There is a fine line that can be crossed. For some it has already been crossed. For others they are getting very close.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I'm also thinking about returning my 211 and trading in my 922 for 722 and run 2 TVs - I'm rarely using Slingbox feature.
I wonder if they'll charge me $100 to get the old 722!

Petty interesting article of behind the scenes on dish - how tight they are running the business, making sure they get every $
out of employees, and I guess same for us, customers:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-network-meanest-company-america-194008712.html?page=1

I thought a 922 could run 2 televisions just like a 722 can?

Well from the looks of it Dish has increased the return shipping fee by 2 dollars.

Vip722 could do two TVs, but Vip922 can not - at least not very well. They only give you one remote, and slingbox takes the TV2 output.

I could probably buy another remote and try to use it like 722, not sure.

It has been $17 for a while now, at-least a couple of years.

Maybe it's customer dependent.The last time we had to send a receiver back without protection plan they quoted me $15 but that they would waive the fee.This was just a few months ago.

Along the lines of what Teehar posted, I would ask about getting that waived, my understanding (and experience) is that fee is or was really meant for when you drop service.

Vip722 could do two TVs, but Vip922 can not - at least not very well. They only give you one remote, and slingbox takes the TV2 output.

I could probably buy another remote and try to use it like 722, not sure.

Sling attatched 722 also use the second tuner for sling.

But yes a 922 can run 2 TVs. Address a second remote and walla it works.

...so I asked them to give me an address and I went to the local USPS and returned it for $8.
$8 to return a DVR receiver by USPS is cheap! That seems a bit too low... Unless a person has access to a UPS or Fedex account with reasonable discounts, it's probably cheaper to pay Dish for the return label vs shipping it themselves.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts