18' Dish - 3 satellites!???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cpgny9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Am I crazy - could this be correct. I currently have a dish (18' Dish, dual LNB, pointed at the 101 sat) and a RCA Tivo box. Due to the blizzard we had last week, I needed to go on my roof and re-aim this afternoon. I am currently in the process of switching over to DTV HD service (waiting for my receiver in the mail, setting up the new Dish myself). Last summer I had an install guy come out and try to set me up with the HD service and he said I didnt have a clear line of sight, however, the guy wanted nothing to do with being up in my roof (it was like 95 degrees out) and one of my neighbors is able to get all three satellites (maybe 200 ft down the road). Plus, I went to DISH network for awhile (for VOOM - horrible, dont do it) and they were able to get the 110 and 119 satellites, so i figured that i will go up there ad do the new install myself. I figure that since i already have the 101 dish set up and a nice pole mount still set up from the old Dish network dish, that I would run a line from the 101, put the new oval dish on the old mount and combine in a multi switch. I have a feeling that I wont be able to get all three on just the one oval dish. Anyway, my 101 dish is on one side of my roof and the pole mount is on the other. So today after I pointed the 101 and got a 97 strength signal and tighened it up, I figured that I would screw around a little bit while on the roof and see if I could get a sgnal on the new dish (110 & 119). Even though I dont have my new receiveer yet, the RCA tivo box lets me set up the satellite as an oval dish and I can test the signal strength through that. So after I was done with the 101, i went to change satellite type and then was gonna disconnect the wire and re-connect to the new dish, but before I could disconnect the 101 wire, the signal meter went up to 93 - I looked and it was set at transponder 1 and the 101 sat - so good, that satellite worked (but i already knew that) and just for the heck of it I changed the sat to the 119 and transponder 22 and to my suprise I got a 92 signal, then changed the sat to 110 and the transponders that go with that one and still a 90 signal. OBviously, when I went to the next step of the set-up, it didnt find the switch and wouldnt let me contiue. After all my rambling, my question is . . . . .. . does this mean I am actually getting signals from all 3 satellites? I know I will have to get the oval dish set up with the 3LNB, but if I am truely getting all the signals in that spot, I will just set up the DIsh there.

sorry for the long run on paragraph. The dish was bolted in and I wasnt aiming it. Once I got a strong signal on the 101 satellite, I locked it in and bolted down and tightened the dish. The dish was stationary and wasnt moving and I was receiving signal on all satellites (or so the receiver says). And they were solid signals, not coming in and out

When you say signal meter, was it a seperate meter, or the ones built-in to the receiver, because I have seen some wierd readings on my receivers meters (they ALL displayed 100%) that a reset would clear up, just a thought.

Obviously if you're using a handheld meter, this post is useless (which it may be either way). :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)