18" Venture Actuator Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
Suddenly, today my ASC1 is complaining that the Soft limits in both directions are the same position. I did not set the soft limits and even resetting limits on the ASC1 did not resolve. Any other way to get past this? It is pretty much at the half way point. I have turned off the A2 and reset the ASC1 soft limits and that also did not resolve. Any help is appreciated.

The disc that came with the ASC1 only had the serial->USB drivers and no software, but I downloaded the newest loader from the Titamium site. Hopefully I can set the soft limits to just beyond my east and west sats. It takes a long time to load but hopefully that'll do it. Just when I thought my project was done...

What does the LCD prompt say?

What is the ASC1 firmware version?

Does the A2 have a software set/clear function in the DiSEqC 1.2 menu?

Where is the 0000 count position? Near East hardware limit? Near West hardware limit? Center?

If this is a software limit setting or command error, try this. If the A2 is disconnected or powered off, then the ASC1 Software limits are reset, can you drive the ASC1 to the East or West hardware limits using the front panel or ASC1 remote?

Can you drive to position 0000 then perform a Position Reset?

I have observed this is problem is if the west hardware limit is saved as the East or visa versa.

The LCD says
Reach W/E Limit.
Limit switch? Sensor?
Motor blocked?

The A2 is powered off and was disconnected.
The firmware is 20150827.01
The dish is about center currently at 103w- position -363 T
The A2 does not have a limit reset that I know of
I cannot drive the dish at all.

I clicked on Read from device and after about an hour it is still not finished.
Using a Dell mini with Win7
Driver is installed and working correctly.

It just finished reading the device. It took about an hour.
The serial port settings are standard 9600N81
When I click get limits it does not populate, so changing it is hard since I don't know what the values should be.
The positions in the satellite list don't correspond to the display.
SES3 Ku is position 56 and the position on the LCD -0363.
In the software, most of the position values are 253 or 254.

I see now that there is a newer firmware 20151019 on the website
I had not checked that since Brian said it shipped with the newest Beta firmware.
I'll update it and see if that fixes it.
Hopefully is doesn't take a day to upload it or brick it.

edit: I see that I will need to use the older loader, since I currently have an older firmware

Let's back up. The LCD alert is indicating that either the dish is at a limit, motor is not moving or if it is moving, no sensor counts are being received.

If this display alert appears and the A2 is powered off and the ASC1 soft limits are cleared, the ASC1 is not receiving sensor counts.

Check the wires and connections. If the ASC1 East or West key is pressed, does the motor run for even a fraction of a second before the LCD alert appears (You may need an assistant to check)? Is there momentary DC voltage on the M1/M2 terminals on the back of the ASC1 when East or West key is pressed? Is there momentary DC voltage at the actuator motor wires when East or West key is pressed? If the motor runs for a moment or voltage is momentarily present, the fault may be in the sensor or sensor wiring.

Take the ASC1 to the actuator or bring the actuator to the ASC1 to test with temporary wiring. If it runs normally when the actuator and ASC1 are next to each other, the problem is likely related to the wiring. If the motor momentarily moves, then the sensor is likely defective.

I think you may be using the wrong Loader/Editor version. The slow transfer and scrambled data indicates incompatible firmware/loader. You describe the new Loader/Editor version 2.0 software, but firmware version 20150827v1 uses loader 1.8 to read /write. To read or write the software limits or edit the 199 positions with loader editor 2.0, update the current firmware to the new 20151019v1 using loader 1.8 following the firmware upgrade instructions.

Edit: you posted while I was replying. Yes, you had earlier beta firmware that is Loader /Editor 1.8 compatible, but not 2.0 compatible. If you want to update, carefully follow the upgrade steps for firmware 20151019v1!

OK, so loader 1.8 shows the correct positions relative to the LCD.
I have tried to update the firmware 20151019 with loader 1.8 but following the instructions I get a Device is not prepared message.

As the instructions state, it is not recommended to use a USB/Serial Converter to upgrade to 20151029v1.

If you decide to upgrade with the USB/Serial converter that we supplied, make sure that the USB/Serial Converter driver is the one included on the CD for using Loader /Editor1.8. When using Loader /Editor 2.0, update the driver to the latest From the Prolific website.

I have the back off the actuator.
Should there be conductivity measuring on the limit switch across the two posts? I would think not but there is... its possible some water got into it from that hole that I sealed up. The cover has cracked further since I sealed it. I might disconnect the limit switch and see if it works.

Is someone standing next to the actuator to listen and see if there is any motor action?

Did you test for the motor voltages at the ASC1 terminal and at the motor?

We need more feedback to figure out if it is wiring, motor, ASC1 or the sensor.

The hardware limit switches are normally closed. The switch opens to break the circuit when the cam hits the mechanical end of travel setting.

Water can cause problems if standing. There should be a drain hole on the bottom of the case to prevent pooling. If water has gotten into the case, check and dry all connections. I would recommend a dab of dielectric silicone at any connection.

Well, one of the wires came off the switch, so that sucks.
Is there any way to test the ASC1 - like disconnect S1 or S2?

I'll solder back the connection tomorrow. I'll install windows on an old laptop tonight so I have a standard serial port. I want to upgrade the ASC1 before I start pulling things apart.

Take you two short lengths of wire hook them to S1 and S2 bring them around so you can take one hand and tap the two wires together repeatedly while the other hand is hitting east and west.
This will simulate pulses.

Reactions: Titanium
Never have run into a failure to count presented cycles, so that is very unlikely. In addition to the ASC1 counter test, here are some more.

1. Test the ASC1 M1/M2 terminals for momentary DC voltage?

2. Test the motor wires at the actuator for momentary DC voltage?

3. Test the ASC1 S1/S2 terminals for momentary 5Vdc?

4. Test the sensor wires at the actuator for momentary 5Vdc?

5. Test the disconnected sensor for open/close cycles with an ohm meter while turning the actuator motor with 12Vdc car battery or other source?

Many testers have been running 20150827v1 without error, so I would suggest it is not necessary until we determined the cause of this problem.

Yes, the ASC1 is set to 115 volts, though it shipped in 230 position.
I was also using it fine till today. Then I ran into this problem and saw others having the same problem and it was firmware. I will upgrade it first. It is dark now and I can't do anything outside.

Correct, we ship new ASC1 units with the 230Vac voltage setting. We never know where the unit may be installed and I prefer not to assume anything! :)

The problem that you are experiencing is not common or one that is related to firmware. It is related to either voltage, wiring or component failure.

If you could measure the voltages and as many of the other testing steps that I have outlined, we will likely figure out the problem.

disconnected all wires from ASC1
Measuring across S1 and S2 - zero momentary voltage
Measuring across M1 and M2 - 36v momentary voltage
Then did a global reset
repeated same - still says hit W/E limits

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)