18" Venture Actuator Issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It isn't stating that the alert is specifically an East /West error. It is indicating that something isn't moving.

Something doesn't test right. Why didn't the motor momentarily move when the ASC1 outputted 36Vdc? Even if the sensor circuit is not functioning, the motor would momentarily energize. Was someone at the dish when the East or West key was pressed or is it assumed that the actuator didn't energize because you didn't see the dish moving?

There should be momentary 5Vdc between S1/S2 and also between 5Vdc/GND terminals when the East or West key is depressed and before the LCD alert appears.

Leave all wires actuator disconnected and power OFF the rear panel master switch for an hour or more. There may be a short in one of the wire bundles and the circuit needs to cool and reset.

Are you using a polarity servo motor? A short could also be in the servo or it is running against the mechanical stop when energized. The 5Vdc power for both circuits is from the same source.

When the ASC1 is repowered without wires connected to the dish, test the sensor and the servo terminals for momentary 5Vdc. If there is 5Vdc, then only connect the sensor S1/S2 and the motor M1/M2. Test for actuator movement without alert message.

If the actuator moves without error, then connect the polarity servo motor and check for servo rotation and actuator movement without error.

Yes, I assumed that since I didn't see the dish jerk that it was not being moved.
No, I do not have a servo connected

There are no wires except the power cord plugged in
I just tested S1 and S2 and am getting 10.9 volts constantly

The loader software doesn't work on XP which is all I can load on a old laptop that actually has a serial port.
I'll take the ASC1 to my shop tomorrow and run the loader on a Windows 7 desktop.
Nothing more I can do today.
Cheers

S1/S2 values could be higher without a load.

The power down reset the sensor voltage circuit and would indicate a short circuit or other voltage in the wiring. I would look at the S1/S2 wiring bundle for a short, defective reed switch, or incorrect grounding/bonding.

Where is the sensor shield wiring bundle connected to ground?

Could water in the actuator case have shorted out the sensor wires to ground?

How is the dish grounded?

How is the dish bonded to structure ground?

XP not working? Interesting... Have used Loader Editor version 1.8 on a test bench computer for over a year and tested version 2.0 before release. The PC is running XP pro, Service Pack 3 with final updates. Maybe compatibility issues with an older XP build? Gotta love MS... :(

I have moved the ASC1 outside, connected it and it performs exactly the same.
Today, both inside and outside the S1 and S2 connections no longer provide 10.9v with no wires connected.
That was the case at a few points yesterday.
When connected the M1 and M2 provide a momentary 35 volts
I will update the ASC1 and try again.

The drain wire is connected to the dual F81 ground block at the dish which is connected to a ground wire coming from the house panel.

The loader won't install in XP with SP3- it comes up with a QT5GUI.DLL error

Talked to Pacificrim on the phone. The upgrade failed to complete and we are going to exchange the main PCB at no charge so I can trouble shoot on my side . He is going to test the actuator and reed switch with 12Vdc and ohm meter to see if it is cycling. Based on the testing he will contact the actuator reseller as the plastic cover was broken and allowing water to enter the case.

Also he will be disconnecting the sensor bundle shield drain wire at the dish and only connect it inside to the GND terminal on the controller.

The XP error is a MS library error. The .dll libraries are out of date. Not sure if it can be remedied via updates as XP no longer is supported on their site.

Thanks Brian for the info, I always like to know what is going on when I am following something like this. :)

I knew when you answered the rest of his questions you would tell him about removing one side of the ground.

On the .dll issue it can be fixed, but may be more of a pain the back side than it is worth. You can go to several places to download the missing libraries.
Just getting them in the right spot is the issue.

Reactions: Titanium
OK - so the actuator appears to be the problem. I have applied 30 volts (measured with meter) to M1 and M2 and it didn't budge. I then tried 20 volts from a Milwaukee drill battery and it didn't move. I wish I could have done it sooner but short days and bad weather make it tough this time of year.
So in my attempt to upgrade the ASC1 (against Brian's advice) it bricked and while I may have had some erratic voltages on the ASC1 on the S1 and S2 - I probably made it my situation worse. Likely the only real problem I was having was a dead actuator that the ASC1 was kindly informing me of. Luckily Brian is awesome and is shipping me a new board with updated firmware. Thanks Brian!

My only real reason to upgrade the firmware was to get the soft limit features and set them to establish that they were set at the extremes, but I didn't do myself any favours.

Too bad the Venture 18 died after only 2 weeks, but they are shipping me a replacement, so between Brian at Titanium and Rick at Rick's Satellite - everyone has really stood by their stuff - and by me. Thanks guys!

Glad to hear that you have found the problem.
Hopefully it was just a fluke and the new actuator will last a long time.

Here's the case open on the actuator motor - yikes!
IMG_20151107_23593.jpg
One of the magnet copper wires was broken and everything in there was pretty mucky.
Kind of surprising for less than 3 weeks old.
I soldered the wire and reassembled - it works now but probably will die again - I'll wait for the replacement to arrive.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice - I did think it would last longer though...
I'll keep an eye out for a Von Weise, but Venture is sending a new one that should be here in a couple days.
We'll see how it goes.

The other option is a venture screwball...

Last edited:
Thanks to Brian at Titanium - I got my ASC1 working again after I bricked it. Thanks again!
He was right about it not being a limits issue. I never would have guessed that the motor would break.
The actuator is still working since I soldered the magnet but Its replacement should be here soon.

My latest thing is the new Inverto Pro prime focus LNB has moisture inside the membrane covering. Dang!
The Invacom has no cover, so maybe I can bust it open and let it dry???

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)