18 years and I may cut the cord!

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Have been with Dish for 18 years, always called every two years and did the dance and got it reduced some years a lot some not so much. Based on what I have at home in equipment and package I will be looking at about $150 a month with no discount. I did not want to cancel and then be unsatisfied and have to sign up again so I am putting my account on hold for $5.22 a month, max 3 months, so this would cost me $16. I signed up for You Tube TV, did my research, I am pretty text savvy but it is an adjustment. Not that it is bad or sucks, just different. Plus's, less expensive, about half, better picture quality. Less equipment. Better sound, no snow or rain outages. Have not had DVR conflicts so far. Biggest complaint is it could be more intuitive. But muscle memory should take care of that. Start up cost, 21 days free, $52.99 for 3 months, $72.99 after that. By the time I make a final decision I will have saved over $300 in 3 months. Comments?

Since YTTV records to the cloud you will have no conflicts. You can record every channel at the same time if you wish

I have directv stream and I’ve recorded all the college football games on a Saturday. Some times there were over 20 games recording at the same time.

Speaking as someone who cut the cord a year ago (after 20+ years with Dish), while you don't have rain fade to deal with, if your internet goes out, you might have to jump through some hoops to watch TV (at least on large screens). Anything cellular connected should still be good.

:imshocked

And that’s for the BASE PLAN!

And no Cooking Channel!

Makes my Dish subscription look MUCH better!
Get MAX, for the medium tier, $16, or Discovery+ for $10, get all that content plus too much more, so with YTTV, still under $90.

Reactions: charlesrshell
If things ever settle, I’d consider Discovery+. But by then, who knows what will have changed or at what price.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Have been with Dish for 18 years, always called every two years and did the dance and got it reduced some years a lot some not so much. Based on what I have at home in equipment and package I will be looking at about $150 a month with no discount. I did not want to cancel and then be unsatisfied and have to sign up again so I am putting my account on hold for $5.22 a month, max 3 months, so this would cost me $16. I signed up for You Tube TV, did my research, I am pretty text savvy but it is an adjustment. Not that it is bad or sucks, just different. Plus's, less expensive, about half, better picture quality. Less equipment. Better sound, no snow or rain outages. Have not had DVR conflicts so far. Biggest complaint is it could be more intuitive. But muscle memory should take care of that. Start up cost, 21 days free, $52.99 for 3 months, $72.99 after that. By the time I make a final decision I will have saved over $300 in 3 months. Comments?
How can anything be better than satellite picture

I first got Dish in 2009, so this upcoming year I am coming on my 15 year anniversary with Dish. I love Dish, really the only complaint I have had with them is when the dropped NBC Sports Chicago in 2019, but the reality is that I don't have time in my life right now to watch all the games I used to 15-20 years ago, and doesn't impact me as much. But the prices do continue to go up. I am almost at $140 per month for a couple of VIP211k's, AT250 and the one-off ad-on package or offer.

I tried YouTube TV in 2020 during covid and it was great back when AT&T suspended their internet caps. My biggest issue is the internet caps. I have moved to T-Mobile 5G home internet where there are no data caps and it is about 5x faster than my AT&T connection was. It is tempting for me to cut the cord and be done with Dish.

I am a big NFL fan, most of the games I want to watch are OTA. I also subscribe to NFL+ for $100 a year, and that gives me NFL Network. When ESPN launches a DTC offering in 2025, it will be very tempting for me to cut the cord and will probably be the deciding factor if I decide to.

All that to say, I am continuing to watch all these threads and see other people's experience as they move to streaming and taking note.

I have a very good OTA antenna for a backup. I also have Netflix's, pay for the extra account from my daughters plan. Have Amazon video with Prime. Have HBO/Max thru ATT free. Have Hulu thru my daughter in law. Apple TV thru my son. Disney plus thru a co worker. I get the food channel but not the cooking channel, I think for me I will be fine. On my over OTA I get 93 channels a lot of duplicates but still lots of choice. I also have Spectrum for internet and have no caps. The picture a lot of the PQ was lacking for me on satellite not all channels just the ones they squeeze the band with out of were blotchy and grainy. like TBS, CMT and so on. Dish also has the 4K channels and I love those just not much if anything on them, at least rarely. For an additional $1000 a year I can for go the slow mo, I do have FF if I pause and on some replays. But that's why I am testing and not canceling just yet.Thanks will report back.

I am a big NFL fan, most of the games I want to watch are OTA. I also subscribe to NFL+ for $100 a year, and that gives me NFL Network.
NFL Network is included in YTTV Plan, no extra cost.

When ESPN launches a DTC offering in 2025, it will be very tempting for me to cut the cord and will probably be the deciding factor if I decide to.
2024 will be my last year of subscribing to YTTV from September to January for College Football, because of ESPN going streaming in early 2025.
All that to say, I am continuing to watch all these threads and see other people's experience as they move to streaming and taking note.
If you have any questions, go to the cord cutters area.

I first got Dish in 2009, so this upcoming year I am coming on my 15 year anniversary with Dish. I love Dish, really the only complaint I have had with them is when the dropped NBC Sports Chicago in 2019, but the reality is that I don't have time in my life right now to watch all the games I used to 15-20 years ago, and doesn't impact me as much. But the prices do continue to go up. I am almost at $140 per month for a couple of VIP211k's, AT250 and the one-off ad-on package or offer.

I tried YouTube TV in 2020 during covid and it was great back when AT&T suspended their internet caps. My biggest issue is the internet caps. I have moved to T-Mobile 5G home internet where there are no data caps and it is about 5x faster than my AT&T connection was. It is tempting for me to cut the cord and be done with Dish.

I am a big NFL fan, most of the games I want to watch are OTA. I also subscribe to NFL+ for $100 a year, and that gives me NFL Network. When ESPN launches a DTC offering in 2025, it will be very tempting for me to cut the cord and will probably be the deciding factor if I decide to.

Do you mind me adding why you have the Top250?

So many channels now are available in the MUCH cheaper add on packs.

I generally switch people over to the Flex pack, and add a few mini packs as needed... gets the bill waaaaay down for most people.

Do you mind me adding why you have the Top250?
I have thought about it and it is really tempting. There are a couple of channels, that no matter how I slice it, I can't get in a package without starting with Top 120. If there are a couple of more channels, either added to the packs or in the base of Flex, I easily would make the switch to Flex + News Pack + a movie pack (then add National Action pack for ESPN during football season) and call it a day.

I have thought about it and it is really tempting. There are a couple of channels, that no matter how I slice it, I can't get in a package without starting with Top 120. If there are a couple of more channels, either added to the packs or in the base of Flex, I easily would make the switch to Flex + News Pack + a movie pack (then add National Action pack for ESPN during football season) and call it a day.
May I ask which channels? I know we're always adding more to the cheaper options....

You Tube TV does not have the Science Channel or the History Channel. Not having those 2 channels, I will not be switching to You Tube TV from Dish.