$180 a little high for a pole install?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Before anyone fires back I'm not complaining about paying extra for having to have it installed on a pole and a few feet of cable buried, but $180 seems steep.

This being that Dish installed the pole for me about 3 years ago at another apartment for free.

Just wondering if this is an average price or if it's a little high. If it's par, that's fine, just seems steep.

Hard to say ! I'm an electrician and if I had to bid the job as a contractor, I'd bid at $80 an hour plus parts. However, if I were doing the job in a private capacity, I'd work for $35 an hour. If you have an independent , storefront business , there's a lot of overhead.

If you're near a Dish distributor, you might call them and see if their techs do any "off duty" work on the side. Might get an experienced install, cheap.

elwaylite said:
Before anyone fires back I'm not complaining about paying extra for having to have it installed on a pole and a few feet of cable buried, but $180 seems steep.

This being that Dish installed the pole for me about 3 years ago at another apartment for free.

Just wondering if this is an average price or if it's a little high. If it's par, that's fine, just seems steep.

Seems real steep to me. A pole shouldn't be much more than $20-30. The concrete is about $20 at the most.

yeah, thats what i thought. The guy said the norm was $220 but he'd give me $40 off. :rolleyes: I think my issue is, I am leasing equipment, I have signed a TWO year agreement, seems like even with a pole install it would be pretty cheap.

my installer says anywhere from 75-125 is normal for pole mount, that is them diggin a hole (what a half an hour tops?) pouring cement (160-180 lbs worth) then the pole, then them coming back the next day or two to install.

When Dish was installing lots of SuperDishes, pole-mounting in the ground was the "standard" method and obviously was "free". It took 10 minutes tops to dig the hole using a post-hole digger/shovel. The installer put the pole, a standard chain-link fence type pole, in and one or two bags of quick-set cement. While it "set", he assembled the dish and LNB(s), ran cables, etc, etc.

Is this a case where one doesn't want it mounted on a roof or some part of the house ?? What does D* consider as standard mounting options ??

Wow, so glad I found this board-got alot of info here and have now been a very happy D* customer since last Friday. I had D* come out at 11 am last Friday to install the new kaku band dish on the roof-come to find out the only place it would work for me to get all possible channels and hidef was on a pole mount. Well, to my shock the installers trenched 35 feet of wire and installed the dish for no extra charge. They were there working in the 95 degree heat under direct sun until almost 7 pm and it was the best install experience of any kind I've ever had. I supplied them with lunch and all they soda and water they needed. I'm about to write a letter regarding these 2 but needless to say Great Job Guys!! . Btw, I did double check with D* to avoid any surprises on my first bill and true to what they said -no extra charge.

You can do it yourself for under $50.00 depending on the legnth of the pole you want. I found a 14 foot 2" at a sprinkler supply store for $40.00. then a few bags of concrete, your all set. :hatsoff:

Home Depot has a couple sizes of chain link fence post - a 6' 2 3/8" post is $9.xx and a 50lb bag of quick set post cement is under $6. I used 2 bags. So for under $25, you could have a quality setup.

iafirebuff said:
Home Depot has a couple sizes of chain link fence post - a 6' 2 3/8" post is $9.xx and a 50lb bag of quick set post cement is under $6. I used 2 bags. So for under $25, you could have a quality setup.

You really should have a sch 40 instead of the chain link fence post. What are you using the 2 3/8" for?

I am using the 2 3/8" for a Primestar dish. They require a larger mount. The post is a heavy glavenized post. Cheap and good :) They have a smaller size, that mht be suited for Directv or Dish Network.

you might want to fill that pole up with concrete to keep the wind from twisting the dish and crushing it. I used to install P*, and they supplied schedule 40.

Thanks! I might have to do that :) THe dish in in a protected area, but I suppose better safe than sorry :) I LOVE the elevation bolt on the Primestar dish! I wish they all had that!

Who is charging you this money? Did you call D* and ask how much it would cost directly through them?

This guy was a subcontractor for a Directv contractor. He was basically a moron and another guy had to come help him finish because he could not get the dish's aligned.

I then had to spend 30 minutes on the phone with Direc because my r15 was only showing 1 tuner as being connected.

The goof was here from 10:30 to 16:30 to install a pole with 2 dish's, run the wire 15 ft to my living room r15 and another 20 ft of cable to my bedroom for the standard receiver. I was just glad to see him go.

Why dont you just install the pole on your own?

Pole $15 and Home depot
Quick setting cemet $8

Takes about half hour.

Then call the installer out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DIRECTV Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction in J.D. Power Study

Retention is great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts