18x23 dish mod

Status
Please reply by conversation.

legacy

Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Florida
Has anyone modded a 18x23 dish with a SL3 lnb? I know of the phase III dish mod, but that is a 18x20 inch dish. I am assuming the mod I need to do will be different as the dish is a little bigger at 18x23, not sure of the arm length is different on a phase III too. I got this dish free and want to mod it for my vacation cabin with a SL3 lnb on it if its possible. People seem to get reasonable results with modded Phases III equipment. I have seen a fair number of these 18x23 dishes around. Looks to be a aftermarket type dish. Mine has Multistar on the plate. Any LNB or arm mod instruction would be great, HD at the cabin would be a bonus !

Look at the FTA section of Sat Guys. There are all kind of mod's we do with dishes over there, should give you some idea's.

Thanks tvropro, didn't find what I was looking for there. I more or less want to know if a mod is possible to the 18x23 dish with a SL3 LNB. I want to get directv signals off of 99,101,103 sats. I guess I will have to get a SL3 lnb and try it myself. It should work similar to a phase III. The dish I picked up came with 2 separate directv style lnbs on a triple lnb holder. Looks to be for 119,110 or 101 either for directv or dishnet.
I will look around for a used SL3 lnb and see if i can get a signal from 99 and 103.
If anyone has done the mod I am looking to do please post or PM me. Thanks

The dish you have will work, the thing is getting the focal point right. You will have to adjust the focal distance and get the offset angle for the LNBF adjusted for maximum efficiency.

For $95 you can buy a brand new SL3 DIRECTV dish, LNB, and all the required mounting hardware with free shipping from a dealer on EBAY.

Buying a brand new dish - $95
Not having to get an SL3 LNB and mod a dish it's not designed for - PRICELESS.

Just saying......

DirecTVs phase III dish 18X20 or 18X24 works good with the SL3 LNB.

The aim is a bit tricky for 99 & 103 HD slots.

You can get the LNB from Solid Signal for less than $50

Thanks guys, I will find a used LNB to use on my dish. I like others like to tinker with things and see if I can get it to work. Also being on a budget and not really wanting to spend $90 or $100 on a slimline. Hopefully I can get results for free or near free suits me just fine. I am sure I will get it setup. When I do I will post my results. Now I will shop around for a LNB for it... cheap I hope lol

The dish I picked up came with 2 separate directv style lnbs on a triple lnb holder. Looks to be for 119,110 or 101 either for directv or dishnet.

The Dish you have is called a Phase II, It came out before the phase III and used separate LNB's. Most complete Phase II dishes were sold with LNB's for 101 and 119 only, you had to buy the Sat "C" kit with the combiner and special LNB to get 110.

The Phase II Dish is 18" x 24", slightly wider than the Phase III. Not all of them were marked DirecTV, I've seen some marked "DirecTv Plus", "Para Todos" and others that were unmarked.

I have one of these and mounting the SL3 to a Phase II will be a lot harder than the Phase III because of the LNB holder set-up.
I've thought about combining the Phase III LNB arm with a Phase II dish and a SL3 LNB to see if the wider dish gets a better signal......

Attachments

• DTV PHASE II DISH.jpg
    DTV PHASE II DISH.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
One thing I don't understand is why do you guys want to use a smaller dish to get multiple birds then a slimline. While it may work fine under normal conditions when the weather goes south the small size issues will be magnified. Myself, and this may be from my years in c band is you want to always go as big as possible to get a good margin in your link budget analysis. Commercial installs can use 1.2 meter or larger for the DirecTV signals. So while using something smaller will work if you want it to work the best in all conditions, bigger is always better. As my DirecTv experimentation continues it will be using bigger dishes not smaller. We need to form a supersize pizza dish club. :)

Last edited:
One thing I don't understand is why do you guys want to use a smaller dish to get multiple birds then a slimline. While it may work fine under normal conditions when the weather goes south the small size issues will be magnified. Myself, and this may be from my years in c band is you want to always go as big as possible to get a good margin in your link budget analysis. Commercial installs can use 1.2 meter or larger for the DirecTV signals. So while using something smaller will work if you want it to work the best in all conditions, bigger is always better. As my DirecTv experimentation continues it will be using bigger dishes not smaller. We need to form a supersize pizza dish club. :)

I only looked into the SL3 Phase III/SL3 dish mod originally for RV use, I have a regular sized slimline dish at my house. Some ppl also look into the Phase III/SL3 mod for apartments, patios, etc where the regular slimline is too big or bulky.

I used a 36" primestar dish with a DirecTV LNB for the 101 sat for many years until I got the slimline installed. I'm still looking at modding a primestar dish for the SL3/SL5 LNB, just have to figure out the tilt. :)

I only looked into the SL3 Phase III/SL3 dish mod originally for RV use, I have a regular sized slimline dish at my house. Some ppl also look into the Phase III/SL3 mod for apartments, patios, etc where the regular slimline is too big or bulky.

I used a 36" primestar dish with a DirecTV LNB for the 101 sat for many years until I got the slimline installed. I'm still looking at modding a primestar dish for the SL3/SL5 LNB, just have to figure out the tilt. :)

I have a Primestar 90cm that I use for FTA's RTV on AMC 9. Since their signal is up now I may mess with that for my DirecTV and point something else at AMC 9. I don't know why Direct calls the Skew, Tilt? The proper term is Skew. Been in this satellite game too long I guess. :)

I hear you on the smaller plates for apartments and mobile setups. I wouldn't want to count on then though when rain fade comes into play.

The Slimline is big and bulky, hahaha... thats a laugh. They should mess with a 12 foot 3.8 meter Bud like I have for c band. ;)

Thanks Davedirectv for the link, good info there. Thanks to the other posters for there input too. Well it looks like my Phase II dish is a harder mod due to the LNB arm style. Maybe a Phase III arm on the larger Phase II dish may work. I think for now I will look around for a Phase III and mod that. My setup is for my vacation spot. I just want something smaller and cheap to build. Seeing that a modded Phase III works good with a SL3 seems to be the way to go for the setup I need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts