1st POST - Need Assistance (DISH)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SLAM X2

Original poster
Apr 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Hello SatelliteGuys ! !

So I have lurked for a while and we are about to go Fulltime in the RV. Need to ask your opinion on how to proceed.

Still have our apartment for 2 weeks. (until we are officially full timers then on the road). Do I get an install done at the apartment then transfer the Hopper 3 and Wireless Joey to our new digs (RV) or do I attempt to have an install done where (Dish) will only lease/provide me with something that is not a H3. It appears from some of the posts that they will not allow a H3 in RV's.

RV is wired with coax to all 3 tv's (New) and If I need to have the 3rd tv setup I can use the Wireless Joey for that other tv.

There appears no real advantage to purchasing the H3 vs leasing. So I will do the 2 year contract and move forward - that leaves install. Which depending on where it is set up (Sticks and Bricks vs RV) Home=It appears that I will be able to get the H3 and wireless Joey and then change address 2 weeks after install OR RV=DISH may give me a NO on the installation of the H3 and wireless Joey.

RV wired for all 3 TV's and has a self pointing dish (Traveler-SK1000)(I believe)

If more information is needed - I will respond ASAP in morning.

Appreciate the responses that are given. It appears that this Forum is the GOTO for information and accurate responses.

THANKS

CJ

The only thing constant at Dish as in life is CHANGE.
When I replaced my 2 722s in my full time RV about 10 years ago, it required dozens of calls to Dish and retailers before I found the one right person in customer retention.
I was told it could not be done in an RV and even if it could Dish would not activate it.

So the first question is are you currently a Dish customer?
If not retention probably won't help much.
Today I would probably start with a good local retailer. I would want Dish or an authorized installer to do the install with close supervision and assistance by me.
The existing cables may not be to proper spec RG 6 3GHz. It may not be routed properly and may have splitters installed.
The LNB on your Traveler may not be the hybrid required. That may require a switch.
There are several folks here who are full timers with H3s so it can be done .
I am no longer in the RV. So I am not current on all the rules that you may have to bend.

I would absolutely want the installation done and verified to be working in the RV. It may require parking at the appartment and using that address.

Reactions: Tampa8
Install at apartment and then relocate everything yourself into your RV or get a retailer. Option 3, in your case, may be best to purchase the equipment. Don’t forget, you’ll also need a DPH42. As far as the autodishes go, I cannot speak on those.
Also, shop online, get yourself an OTA antenna. You’ll need it at some point, and be glad you had it.

You don't need to put a Hybrid LNBF on the Trav'ler for the Hopper 3 but you do need to install a DPH42 Switch. Three coax cables have to come from the Trav'ler to the DPH42 switch. One coax from the DPH42 to the Solo Hub. You could put the DPH42 on the roof next to the Trav'ler. I added more coax cables and have the DPH42 inside near the Hopper 3.

The coax in the RV is probably RG6 of reasonable quality. You can re-purpose the existing coax to the TVs but that is probably for the OTA antenna.

If a new RV, then there are probably HDMI cables from the TVs to where the receivers are. In my bedroom cabinet I have the Hopper 3 (HDMI to two TVs) and two Joeys HDMI to a TV.

Someday the wives tales about H3 not in RVs will go away. But the one on DVRs are still rampant.

You will have a better chance of a local installer to implement your system. Dish installers, at least their management, don't want to mess with houses on wheels. You get the same deals from a local installer. I would never buy equipment in the high tech turn of receivers. A two year contract is minor compared to the Trav'ler investment.

Be reasonable, Dish, or the local installer, will want to stick with Dish equipment. When I had the H3 installed, I had a ground tripod dish that I let the installer put a Hybrid LNBF head on then tested out the system with the tripod.

From previous installations of VIP622, VIP722K and Hopper 1 in the trailer I had coax for the Joey connections. So the installer hooked every thing up with the Hopper 3. This was a Dish installer. I connected the switches and the Trav'ler after the installer left. Not bad having a ground tripod as a backup to the Trav'ler anyways.

In my Bounder motorhome, the coax cables from the Trav'ler were routed into the bedroom compartment where the DPH42 Switch, Power Inserter, Solo Hub, and the Hopper 3 and Joeys were installed. I did the install in the Bounder.

Auto-Satellite Install.

You don't need to put a Hybrid LNBF on the Trav'ler for the Hopper 3 but you do need to install a DPH42 Switch. Three coax cables have to come from the Trav'ler to the DPH42 switch. One coax from the DPH42 to the Solo Hub. You could put the DPH42 on the roof next to the Trav'ler. I added more coax cables and have the DPH42 inside near the Hopper 3.

The coax in the RV is probably RG6 of reasonable quality. You can re-purpose the existing coax to the TVs but that is probably for the OTA antenna.

If a new RV, then there are probably HDMI cables from the TVs to where the receivers are. In my bedroom cabinet I have the Hopper 3 (HDMI to two TVs) and two Joeys HDMI to a TV.

Someday the wives tales about H3 not in RVs will go away. But the one on DVRs are still rampant.

You will have a better chance of a local installer to implement your system. Dish installers, at least their management, don't want to mess with houses on wheels. You get the same deals from a local installer. I would never buy equipment in the high tech turn of receivers. A two year contract is minor compared to the Trav'ler investment.

Be reasonable, Dish, or the local installer, will want to stick with Dish equipment. When I had the H3 installed, I had a ground tripod dish that I let the installer put a Hybrid LNBF head on then tested out the system with the tripod.

From previous installations of VIP622, VIP722K and Hopper 1 in the trailer I had coax for the Joey connections. So the installer hooked every thing up with the Hopper 3. This was a Dish installer. I connected the switches and the Trav'ler after the installer left. Not bad having a ground tripod as a backup to the Trav'ler anyways.

In my Bounder motorhome, the coax cables from the Trav'ler were routed into the bedroom compartment where the DPH42 Switch, Power Inserter, Solo Hub, and the Hopper 3 and Joeys were installed. I did the install in the Bounder.

Auto-Satellite Install.
It’s because RV installs are not covered under the standard install. Basically, an RV is meant to move, and if Dish sent a tech out to RV customers who needed a new alignment or warranty work, they’d lose a lot of money. It’s very similar to how customers who get a new roof, take their dish down, and then get charged for putting it back up.

I agree, get it installed at your apartment, tell the tech it has to go on a semi-permanent, non-penetrating mount because you're not planning to stay at that address long. You don't have to tell him about the RV, but the tech is just a tech, not the KGB. This will keep from a permanent Dish being installed on the structure and get the guy's number, tell him you'll call him so he can pick his mount and blocks up when you're ready.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts