2/10/2010 2:07pm - Uplink Activity Report - 97 changes

1000.4 installed FREE today

Newbie here in South Jersey - thanks to this site I just got a FREE upgrade from two 500's to a 1000.4 with the new Fox Soccer Channel in HD.
Tech was here 8am sharp today and in official DISH van and very professional etc.

Newbie here in South Jersey - thanks to this site I just got a FREE upgrade from two 500's to a 1000.4 with the new Fox Soccer Channel in HD.
Tech was here 8am sharp today and in official DISH van and very professional etc.

OK so I am not alone. The installers left a few hours ago. My similar upgrade was free as well.

Due to snow on the roof and my 2 dishes being up there, they left them behind along with the LNB's.

Scott,

Have you heard anything official and final yet as to whether there's really never going to be any new national HD at 61.5?

The reason I'm asking is, if 119/110/61.5 is indeed a deprecated configuration now, what does this mean for the plans that they told someone about a month or two ago to fix the Scranton local HD spotbeam problem by putting the local HD channels on the new bird going to (what is it, 119 or 110?)

I really need to get all this sorted out before I pay to upgrade my dishes (not that I should be having to pay at all, mind you.)

I wouldn't expect new HD at 61.5 anytime soon with this current change that happened. I would expect quite the opposite to happen and HD move off of 61.5 to 72 as customers are upgraded to pure EA and pure WA setups.

A few other options...if HD is moved off 61.5 they could possibly create more spotbeams but that doesn't help out your DMA's problem.

Now here's the issue with your DMA. If they put the HD locals on the new beam on E-14 at 119 they will have to remove the locals from 61.5 or your receiver will try to get them off of 61.5 sometimes. Now what happens to the pure EA folks in your DMA that can get the signal? They will have to add wing dishes to their 1000.4 for 119.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out for Scranton.

A local installer had started putting up bigger dishes (I'm not sure how big, I haven't seen one up close yet) for 61.5 to solve the spotbeam problem. But this was before the current debacle. If 61.5 as a wing dish is no longer a valid setup, how's that going to work if they don't move the locals somewhere else? If the EA LNB cluster has a port for an extra LNB, a small dish could be pointed at 110 (or is it 119?) for the locals in SD, but that would leave customers without HD locals again. Could an EA LNB cluster be mounted on a bigger dish, or would the focal point be too tight?

I've got 'em now! :) It was a decent enough day today so I climbed up on the roof after work with a long line from my "sat-beeper" hooked to the 61.5 dish line. I was able to point the 61.5 dish to 129 (VERY LOW ON THE HORIZON - 19deg angle) and get a decent signal!

Did a check switch and there they all are! I may need to move the dish come summertime to clear some currently foliage-free trees but it may just be possible to stick with this set-up permanently. I should move it regardless as it's almost pointed directly into the back of the Dish500 pointing at 110/119. I think the signal could improve slightly just by eliminating that little issue but forget that until the snow is gone
wink.gif

Right now I'm actually getting a higher signal meter reading for the 129 than I did for the 61 but I don't know if they work on the same scale. Odd since the 61.5 has a perfectly clear line of sight very high up on the horizon.... unexpected.

FSC HD and BBCAHD look OUTSTANDING!!! I'm a happy camper again.

And what is E* going to do with subs in the Northeast that have both SD and HD receivers? EA only works with VIP receivers. 129 is very low (19.3 degrees) from my location for reliable reception.:(

Any elevation is just as reliable as any other elevation.

If there is no obstruction between your dish and 129 at 19.3 degrees elevation, then it should work all the time.

A low elevation simply means that there is more chance of an obstruction (tree, hill or building).

Note that another post in this thread reports that 129 is actually stronger than 61.5 (which is undoubtedly due to the satellite at 129 being brand new, and the 61.5 being old and failing).

I've got 'em now! :) It was a decent enough day today so I climbed up on the roof after work with a long line from my "sat-beeper" hooked to the 61.5 dish line. I was able to point the 61.5 dish to 129 (VERY LOW ON THE HORIZON - 19deg angle) and get a decent signal!

Did a check switch and there they all are! I may need to move the dish come summertime to clear some currently foliage-free trees but it may just be possible to stick with this set-up permanently. I should move it regardless as it's almost pointed directly into the back of the Dish500 pointing at 110/119. I think the signal could improve slightly just by eliminating that little issue but forget that until the snow is gone
wink.gif

Right now I'm actually getting a higher signal meter reading for the 129 than I did for the 61 but I don't know if they work on the same scale. Odd since the 61.5 has a perfectly clear line of sight very high up on the horizon.... unexpected.

FSC HD and BBCAHD look OUTSTANDING!!! I'm a happy camper again.

Remember the dish isn't really picking up the signal on where it is "looking" due to the 22 degree offset on the LNB, so it can fool you very easily.