2-2009

overtimeman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
Clemson, South Carolina
When all analog broadcasts end will this mean that all the crappy picture quality on channels 2-99 will be same as the digital channels?Someone told me for cable companies to do that they would have to upgrade all their lines in the service area.Nonsense!If that was the case the higher channels on cable now would reflect the same poor picture quality.I just think cable companies are going to milk the analog signals till they absolutely have to switch.BTW I am on Northland Cable out of Seneca South Carolina.Their bundle package of digital cable(120channels)/internet service(3000/256) and unlimited voip phone service for 99$ is a darn decent deal.That's not an introductory price.If it wasn't for BB I would get the dish in a heart beat.overtimeman :up

When all analog broadcasts end will this mean that all the crappy picture quality on channels 2-99 will be same as the digital channels?Someone told me for cable companies to do that they would have to upgrade all their lines in the service area.Nonsense!If that was the case the higher channels on cable now would reflect the same poor picture quality.I just think cable companies are going to milk the analog signals till they absolutely have to switch.BTW I am on Northland Cable out of Seneca South Carolina.Their bundle package of digital cable(120channels)/internet service(3000/256) and unlimited voip phone service for 99$ is a darn decent deal.That's not an introductory price.If it wasn't for BB I would get the dish in a heart beat.overtimeman :up

Their shouldnt be a need for a HUGE upgrade most all cable companies have digital equipment anyway.. And they certainly wouldnt try to "milk it" Because if they drop their analog lineup that would free up space for hundreds of digital channels you figure every 1 analog channel = (with minimum compression) about 10 digital channels, and they could compress it more and get 10-15+ channels per the same spot of 1 analog channel.. Now Highdef is differnt and Sports HD channels usally get their own bw so you dont have to compress it as much and regular HD channels you can put about 4 or so without problems. So to the cable company moving ALL digital is a BIG advantage, but they cannot do that without the FCC saying so. Plus the cable companies would be able to make more money as the majority of people dont have nor can afford digital tuner tvs, so they would need to rent a convertor box from the cable company which means more money for them. Or rent a cable card, if the customer buys their own tuner.. But if your gonna spend the 200-300$ for a tuner box id recomend saving your cash to buy a digital tv instead..

Bottom line is all digital is where cable WANTS to be, just the demand/market isnt availible for it as their arent enough affordable digital tvs, and the FCC hasnt put their foot down the date keeps getting moved back and back and back.

It sure will be nice when this happens.. Although its a pain in the ass to trouble shoot intermedan pixeliation.

If cable companies go all digital it will be solely of their own choice as the FCC has no say at all. That 2009 FCC requirement to go digital only applies to over the air broadcast stations such as local Fox and CBS stations. Beyond that cable companies if they so please can still offer an analog lineup until the year 3000 and the government nor the FCC can't do anything about it.

If cable companies go all digital it will be solely of their own choice as the FCC has no say at all. That 2009 FCC requirement to go digital only applies to over the air broadcast stations such as local Fox and CBS stations. Beyond that cable companies if they so please can still offer an analog lineup until the year 3000 and the government nor the FCC can't do anything about it.

Not only is this very true, but many cable companies will WANT to keep offering at least some level of analog service for a very good reason. Assuming 2/09 actually happens, there are still going to be MANY, MANY folks who either do NOT have any digital TV tuners or digital cable boxes in their homes. Instead of the cable co. having to give all of these low end customers potentially multiple boxes, all of these customers TV's will continue to work just fine as before, with no intervention on anyone's part. Like it does today, this will actually be an incentive for these same customers to stay on cable service, as opposed to switching to DBS or FiOS, because they will NOT have the added expense (either monthly or one-time purchase) of set-top converters of all digital service.

WHOA!!!!!!!!

The way the wipes in DC pass laws, do not bet against ANYTHING. As it currently stands, there is no requirement to make any changes, but you can never underestimate the IQs in DC.

WHOA!!!!!!!!

The way the wipes in DC pass laws, do not bet against ANYTHING. As it currently stands, there is no requirement to make any changes, but you can never underestimate the IQs in DC.

Because cable companies are private companies the FCC can pass laws all they want to force a cable company to go all digital but those same cable companies can sue back and win on the grounds that the passes law wasn't valid. Now if the FCC rules over say the exclusive contract between the NFL and DirecTV over NFL Sunday Ticket that is another story as that would be a matter of anti trust. The FCC cannot force a cable company to offer internet, vod, dvr, HDTV or any specific channels period so I believe that is the key point you all must know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)