2.3 FW out for Gen 1 Players

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Just came out today. Not sure what it does yet, but it is extremely large (69.7MB)

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/index.asp#

S~

Edit: Just got off the phone with Toshiba. The FW addresses HDMI handshake issues some users are still experiencing (mostly HDMI to DVI connections) and sound dropouts.

Last edited:
Just came out today. Not sure what it does yet, but it is extremely large (69.7MB)

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/index.asp#

S~

Edit: Just got off the phone with Toshiba. The FW addresses HDMI handshake issues some users are still experiencing (mostly HDMI to DVI connections) and sound dropouts.

Interesting. I've seen a few reviewers mention in their review of Blood Diamond HD DVD that Warner included a disk with FW 2.3 to "enable the web content". I thought 2.1/2.2 was supposed to do that?

I'm on 2.2 now and Blood Diamond arrives Wednesday from Warner, so I think I'll wait & see.

Thanks for posting the info.
:)

well I burned the disk and updated. Easiest shortest update ever. Blood diamond has shipped!! I cant wait!

One thing I have to love about my HD DVD player... Toshiba has been doing an excellent job on keeping the player updated, even with newer models out. As much as I want to get a BD player, I keep putting it off since they do not seem to be the best at upgrading.

One thing I have to love about my HD DVD player... Toshiba has been doing an excellent job on keeping the player updated, even with newer models out. As much as I want to get a BD player, I keep putting it off since they do not seem to be the best at upgrading.

Panasonic has been doing an outstanding job of keeping their players updated. It is probably one of the most rock solid players out there in either format. They also worked with Disney on the BD-J for Pirates, so it worked right out of the package. At 599 the price is right there with the XA2.

S~

Sorry for the BD post, but I do own both formats (and happy with both)

Yeah, I'm suprised they are still upgrading the 1st gen units. Not that I'm complaining!!! :)

-John

I'm not surprised at all. Actually I'd be P.O.'d if they didn't. The HD DVD specs were all complete & finalized well before the players hit the market - unlike Blu-ray, which even the "2nd gen. players that just hit the market this summer won't support BD "revision"1.1. :mad:

Anyone notice any improvements / changes with FW 2.3?

As always, a reminder to our forum visitors: MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE DISK BEFORE STARTING THE UPDATE!!!

Here are the official release notes:

Firmware Update Version: 2.3

Applicable Models: HD-XA1, HD-A1, and HD-D1.

Overview: As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of Toshiba HD DVD Player models HD-XA1, HD-A1, and HD-D1. This firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web-enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Important Note: Certain HD DVD discs may contain or have the capability of downloading studio-provided, web-enabled network content. To minimize any potential compatibility and/or connectivity issues, before viewing such content, it is recommended that you perform the firmware update process to ensure that your HD DVD player is using the latest firmware version.

How to obtain and install the firmware update:

1. If you have broadband internet service, you may obtain the firmware update over the internet using the Ethernet port on the back of your HD DVD Player. There are instructions for configuring the Ethernet port on pages 44-45 of the owner's manual. Page 57 of the owner's manual describes how to download the firmware update. Here is an overview of the process:

• BEFORE BEGINNING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS, BE SURE TO REMOVE ANY DISCS FROM YOUR HD DVD PLAYER.
  • Please configure the Ethernet port. You may need to turn on DHCP and DNS. Page 45 of the owner’s manual explains how to do this.
  • After you have configured the Ethernet port, follow the directions on page 57 to check for a firmware update.
  • If a firmware update is available for your player, it will take about 20 minutes to download and install. Once the firmware update download process has finished, the player’s power will automatically switch off. You must wait until this process has finished.
  • DO NOT UNPLUG, TURN OFF, OR USE ANY OTHER FEATURE OF YOUR PLAYER DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS. Doing so will cause the writing of the firmware update to the player to be halted and the player may no longer operate properly. If the player stops working, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.
  • If no firmware update is available, the player will quickly exit the firmware update process.
  • Please refer to the owner's manual for additional details.

2. If you have a PC with a CD-RW drive that is connected to the internet, you may be able to download an ISO image file of the firmware update to your PC and copy it to a blank CD-R or CD-RW disc. For more information, and to download an ISO image file of the firmware update click here.

3. If you are unable, or prefer not, to obtain the firmware update by one of the methods described above, you may contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684 and request that a firmware update disc be sent to you by mail. You can update the firmware using the firmware update disc by following the instructions provided with the disc.

Please note that if you sent Toshiba the Firmware Update Request card included with your player, you will receive an update disc by mail from Toshiba as soon as it becomes available.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web- enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Q2. Why do I need to turn on DHCP and DNS?

A2. Turning on DHCP causes the player to automatically detect its IP address and other network information from your internet service provider’s DHCP server. Turning on DNS causes the player to automatically detect the DNS server address associated with your internet service provider.

Q3. I purchased an HD DVD disc that contains/has the capability of downloading web- enabled network content. What do I need to do to view this content?

A3. First, be sure that you have properly configured the player’s Ethernet port. If your Ethernet port is properly configured, perform the firmware update process to update the player’s firmware to the latest firmware version. Once you have updated the player with the latest firmware, follow the directions that came with the HD DVD disc or that appear in the menu of the HD DVD disc. Should you experience problems viewing such content, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q4. The HDMI output does not work or works intermittently with the HDMI or DVI input on my HDTV or monitor. Does the new firmware address that issue?

A4. The firmware update addresses and improves HDMI and DVI connectivity issues. If you still experience such issues, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Make sure your display input is set to HDMI (or DVI). If your display has more than one HDMI/DVI input, make sure that all connected HDMI/DVI source devices are powered on (even if not in use). If none of these solve the issue, please turn off the TV and the HD DVD player. Check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV first and then turn on the HD DVD player. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q5. During HD DVD playback I sometimes experience pixelization, block noise or audio dropouts. Sometimes playback freezes or stops. Sometimes, playback is not smooth. Does the new firmware address these issues?

A5. This firmware update addresses various playability issues. You should also check to be sure that the disc is clean and, if the disc will not operate at all, that you are inserting the disc with the right side up. In the event that playback freezes or stops, press and hold the ON/STANDBY button on the front of the player for approximately ten seconds. This will cause the player to turn off. After the player turns off, turn the player back on by pressing the ON/STANDBY button, and then press the OPEN/CLOSE button to remove the disc. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319- 6684. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q6. Do I need to install prior firmware updates before installing the current firmware update?

A6. No. The current firmware update includes all of the prior firmware updates.

The install over the internet took a while, but as always went smoothly. There are many advantages to Toshiba's approach of essentially having a PC as an HD-DVD player.

The install over the internet took a while, but as always went smoothly. There are many advantages to Toshiba's approach of essentially having a PC as an HD-DVD player.

Except cost. Can't have everything.

Just upgraded my HD D-1 via a downloaded CD image in order to watch Hot Fuzz... working perfectly and only took about 20 minutes with the CD...

Still trying to find time to watch it. Worked flawlessly for 300.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)