2 coax, 1 TV. How? Please help.

OK. well to complicate things a bit more and make things interesting I was told by a CSR a couple months ago that they would help me upgrade if I took the service plan. But, I would probably need a new dish oriented to the eastern arc. The small issue is that I am in a condo and my dish is on the second floor and faces SW. If I got a dish that needed to be oriented to the east it would probably be blocked by the building. So, that has caused me to sit still on this.

I have toyed with the idea of just going to Sling.

Well, after some time and deliberation I have finally resolved my issues, for the most part. I had a technician come in and put in a new dish and VIP222K receiver. The tech did not solve my issue, I did. He left me a couple splitters and duplexers and I tinkered by putting them on before the coax jack on the TV. A splitter resolved the the problem and I get the regular OTA channels and Dish comes in on channel 69.

That said I had to rework some things. Prior to this I was able to run both the satellite signal to the second TV and my cable internet on the same coax by using splitters. The cable guy had set this up. After installing the new dish and receiver this does not seem to work. So, in the end I had to move my modem, router, etc. to a location in front of the cable to TV. In other words directly feeding the modem with the internet cable and then only Dish signal on the cable to TV2. I was not thrilled with that solution, but happy that I got it to work nevertheless. Still I am not able to get local channels in HD from the dish (no view of that satellite).

The installer gave me no clue of how to solve the original issue. I think he just wanted to get out. So, in the end tinkering saved the day. But, all along I had a gut feeling this had to work somehow. Thanks to everyone who contributed an idea.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
This worked for me. First choose a tv2 output channel in the 322 menu that is not close to the antenna channels. Then combine the tv2 output and the antenna using a standard 3 terminal splitter. So you will have the one existing coax going to your second tv. I am assuming your second tv has an astc tuner in it.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
Yes, TV2 is new and has a tuner in it. I used a splitter that had been on the cable when I had both internet and Dish sharing the coax. Now it is just Dish on the coax. I run that into the splitter and on the other terminal I have a line to an amplified antenna. Then a single line to the coax input on the TV. Originally the tech had the Dish input set to channel 55. I changed that to channel 69. Then, on the TV I scanned for channels from "antenna". It found all the digital OTA channels and then found one analog channel which is the Dish. I can scan through the channels with the remote. When I get to channel 69 I must use the Dish Remote to move up and down on Dish. Works fine. All the digital OTA channels come in HD. As this is TV2 on this receiver the Dish channels come in SD. Nothing I can do about that.

Initially, the Dish input was "fuzzy", so I figured a diplexer would not do the trick and tried the splitter and also switched the channel as that is my package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)