2 Dual Receivers/4 TV's Question

houstonnole

Jun 17, 2009
Houston
Hello All,

I'm a current Direct TV customer very interested in making the switch to Dish. Before I pull the trigger on the switch, I have a couple questions regarding how the Dual Receivers will be configured/connected. I have two HD TVs and two standard TVs. I'm thinking of ordering 2 Dual Receivers w/DVR and placing those receivers with the two HD TV's. Each of those two Receivers will feed a standard TV.

In researching other forum posts, I understand that the additional standard TV remote receivers are fed by an RF signal, and must be connected to a phone line or internet connection.

Herein lies my problem. I don't have a telco land line, and I don't have hard wired CAT5 jacks in the rooms where the remote receivers will be. Is there a wireless device that I can use to connect these remote receivers to my wireless router? Like the wireless NICs that X-Box systems use?

I'm not too crazy about contracted installers performing necessary cable runs, as I understand that time is money, and they typically run cable along the easiest and quickest path, regardless of aesthetics /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> (this is not a dig to you professional installers out there. I make tons of flat-rate cat5 drops, so I get it). After my DirectTV install, I did make 4 runs from the dish on my roof to the 4 individual receivers. Additionally, I have 3 other cable runs from an antenae in the attic (it's near where the dish cable comes in the attic). These 3 runs go to one of the two HD TVs, and to the two Standard TVs.

I'd like to have all the necessary cabling ready for the installer to bolt the dish down and plug in receivers. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hello All,

I'm a current Direct TV customer very interested in making the switch to Dish. Before I pull the trigger on the switch, I have a couple questions regarding how the Dual Receivers will be configured/connected. I have two HD TVs and two standard TVs. I'm thinking of ordering 2 Dual Receivers w/DVR and placing those receivers with the two HD TV's. Each of those two Receivers will feed a standard TV.

In researching other forum posts, I understand that the additional standard TV remote receivers are fed by an RF signal, and must be connected to a phone line or internet connection.

Herein lies my problem. I don't have a telco land line, and I don't have hard wired CAT5 jacks in the rooms where the remote receivers will be. Is there a wireless device that I can use to connect these remote receivers to my wireless router? Like the wireless NICs that X-Box systems use?

I'm not too crazy about contracted installers performing necessary cable runs, as I understand that time is money, and they typically run cable along the easiest and quickest path, regardless of aesthetics /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> (this is not a dig to you professional installers out there. I make tons of flat-rate cat5 drops, so I get it). After my DirectTV install, I did make 4 runs from the dish on my roof to the 4 individual receivers. Additionally, I have 3 other cable runs from an antenae in the attic (it's near where the dish cable comes in the attic). These 3 runs go to one of the two HD TVs, and to the two Standard TVs.

I'd like to have all the necessary cabling ready for the installer to bolt the dish down and plug in receivers. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Wireless bridges will work.

If you get receivers with homeplug built in, you could buy the homeplug module for $70 (you get two modules, but only need one). Hook it up by your switch/router and then the receivers would get broadband over the power lines.

For each dual receiver you get, dish will request you have it connected to a phone line or broadband. If you dont, you will be charged 5 dollars per month. However, if you sign up for the DishDVR Advantage (which will save you a mighty $0.98 per month!!!), the first receiver's tv2 connection fee will be waived, leaving the need only have one connected. You can use a wireless NIC just like the xbox uses (no usb support though, must be a wired to wireless ethernet bridge).

If you do on-line banking or other sensitive things on the internet, you can avoid the risks of wireless connections by getting "wireless" ethernet boxes that plug into your house electrical wiring.

Two 722k DVRs would work very well for your situation. You only need to buy a single HomePlug adapter to plug into an electrical outlet near your wireless modem. Then run a short ethernet cable from the adapter to the modem. The 722k DVRs will connect up to your network via their normal power cables using the house wiring. Works real slick. Here is where you can buy a single adapter: Netgear XE102US HomePlug Powerline Network Bridge at TigerDirect.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a couple old Linksys Game Adapters laying around that I'll try to configure as bridges. If I can't get them working, I'll pick up a wireless ethernet bridge.

I haven't had much luck with the power line networking devices. It's a 30 year old home, and an electrician told me that it was due to a grounding issue. I tried using a power outlet device for phones and never could get it to work.

So, any guidance on what to order? I've read some recommendations on particular hardware, but ordering on Dish Network's site doesn't give you options to request certain devices.

Hi guys I am new to Dishnetwork as well (they are coming out to install it tomorrow morning).

I have 2 HD TVs and I read some where on here that they can run 2 HD feeds off the VIP722k receiver with the OTA module. Is that true?

I want the capability to watch HD in both rooms (and DVR shows in both) but don't want an extra HD reciever if I don't need it.

I guess my question is: I know with the OTA module ion a ViP722(k) I can record up to 4 HD shows at once, and TV1 will be in the living room. So I should have access to all the HD stuff in there. TV2 I would like to be my bedroom HDTV - what can I watch in there for HD? Is there a way to wire it up to watch recorded shows in HD or will I only have access to OTA HDs? Or should I just get another HD box for the bedroom?

Hi guys I am new to Dishnetwork as well (they are coming out to install it tomorrow morning).

I have 2 HD TVs and I read some where on here that they can run 2 HD feeds off the VIP722k receiver with the OTA module. Is that true?

I want the capability to watch HD in both rooms (and DVR shows in both) but don't want an extra HD reciever if I don't need it.

I guess my question is: I know with the OTA module ion a ViP722(k) I can record up to 4 HD shows at once, and TV1 will be in the living room. So I should have access to all the HD stuff in there. TV2 I would like to be my bedroom HDTV - what can I watch in there for HD? Is there a way to wire it up to watch recorded shows in HD or will I only have access to OTA HDs? Or should I just get another HD box for the bedroom?

With a 722k you can record up to four HD programs at once--if you have the OTA module and can receive HD signals via an antenna. All programs can be viewed on both TV1 and TV2. HOWEVER, EVEN HD PROGRAMS WILL BE VIEWED IN SD ON TV2. TV2 CANNOT OUTPUT HD.

No, and Yes. The OTA module has nothing to do with it. No, the TV2 ouput will not be HD. Yes, you CAN run an HDMI or Component cable to TV2 and feed it HD but it will mirror what is being watched on TV1. If you want independent control, you need another box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts