2 HDMI cables connected to make one???

SmokeFan14

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
The state above South Carolina
I noticed (too late, obviously) that an installer used a weird set-up for HDMI connection. From my Dish receiver I have an HDMI cable with one "normal HDMI-size" connector, but the other end is pretty wide with screws on each side connecting it to another wide connector with the same 2 screws. That cable ends up with the normal size HDMI connector going into my 50" plasma. Skinny connector to wide, wide connector to skinny..2 separate cables..that's how the cable looks. I'm wondering if I had a "normal" continuous HDMI cable instead of 2 cables made to be one if my picture quality or audio quality would be better and in what ways. Any ideas? Hopefully someone on this site will be willing to help me, unlike OTHER sites I've tried...Thanks in advance.

Sounds like he used two HDMI to DVI cables joined at the DVI connector (probably what he had in the truck). For best quality, I'd try to use a single actual HDMI cable instead.

good answer....it's also a good idea to take the single HDMI cable and support both ends to avoid stress on the female chassis connectors.

Thanks for your reply. I figured one straight connection was better than the joining of 2. Since you seem to know your stuff, and along the same lines, will barrel connectors degrade PQ on satellite signal? That same installer also has about 70ft. total of coupled RG6 from the dish to my receiver, connected about halfway with said connectors. (he used the old dish cable that was ran under my house to connect to his new run with the 1000.2 install, if that makes sense..?

It is an HDMI cable joined with a connector to convert to DVI. This setup is pretty versatile for the installer as there are many makes of HD TVs that don't have a HDMI Input, but instead, DVI.
Incidentally, when my VIP211 arrived at my home back in August 2007 (as I upgraded all boxes in the house to be MPEG4 capable), that was the configuration of the connecting cable that accompanied my new receiver. Pretty nice of DISH to do that as I'm one of those who has a DVI input rather than HDMI. As a pratice, I don't think they are that generous any longer.

If you try a pure HDMI cable, you might wanna make sure you buy it from some place were you can easily return it, in case you spend the $$ only to find no difference in picture quality.

If the total length of those joined cables isn't that long, it might not matter. Also keep in mind it's a digital transmission, so that connection in the middle isn't as much of a sponge for analog interference as the old fashioned analog cables would be.

Edit - Good to see they are actually supplying digital cables now. When I got my 622 they weren't supplying any form of HDMI cable. I don't think they even provided Component; just svideo and composite.

The current design chosen by the persons in the "know" of the electronics industry places a great deal of confidence in the small, fragile connectors. If possible, take the unsupported weight of the cable off of the chassis connectors by wire ties or routing the cable in a fashion that reduces stress. This suggestion could also be considered for any other chassis cable.

Along the same lines and while I have the attention of some smarts, will barrel connectors degrade PQ on a satellite signal? That same installer also has about 70ft. total of coupled RG6 from the dish to my receiver, connected about halfway with said connectors. (he used the old dish cable that was ran under my house to connect to his new run with the 1000.2 install, if that makes sense..?

If he used barrel connectors rated for 3 GHZ, and if your old cable is RG6 and is of the same rating, then signal "level" should be maintained. The older cable, if all tps are operating as needed for your programming now, then, again, you should be ok even though you may not be able to identify the rating.

Just as there is different quality coax, there is also different quality barrel connectors. It is one of the first things an installer will trace down and replace when there is an interruption in the signal. Once he has done that, he continues trouble shooting until all is resolved. I'm speaking from personal hands on experience as a six year DISH customer.

I'm just concerned there is a problem somewhere, somehow, someway. Maybe it's the weather for the past week; cloudy, rainy and all around nasty, maybe it's the HDMI/DVI cable issue (doubt it, now), a cable length (shouldn't be with 70' unsplit, only connected)/connector issue or some interference from my OTA antenna power injector (doubt it). Is there that much variance in different channel picture quality? Some channels look great Discovery, A&E, TLC while others show more blocky images with slight ghosting around logos, on-screen print, etc. I have a Dish 1000.2 with ZERO obstructions, VIP622, Sony 5.1, 50" Philips plasma and yes, I know it's only 720p with 1080i capabilities(?), but lately it seems even the channels that once were beautiful have degraded a bit. Maybe it's my new prescription glasses revealing things I had never seen since my HD "upgrade"..? I hate to sound whiny but when you sink some money into something you expect it to perform to a certain standard, you know?
:(

The problems that you have listed would point to the HDMI cable....not the barrel. You might be able to temporarily connect the component output and compare video duality. It has been my experience that there is VERY little, if ANY video difference on most tvs between HDMI and component. If your service is lost on any particular channel, then that would point to cable or dish alignment.

The problems that you have listed would point to the HDMI cable....not the barrel. You might be able to temporarily connect the component output and compare video duality. It has been my experience that there is VERY little, if ANY video difference on most tvs between HDMI and component. If your service is lost on any particular channel, then that would point to cable or dish alignment.
I guess I should make my statements more clear. I never lost signal, it was just ghostly, a little pixelated, etc. I remember someone saying too many components and/or wires near your TV could cause interference. With a little life-threatening procedures I re-ran the #1 input straight to the dish from the receiver. Even if it didn't help the picture (I can't believe it would do anything but help) I feel better about one, straight connection. The next task ahead is to buy an HDMI cable to replace the HDMI/DVI "he" connected. You know, maybe I'm just expecting too much.

That right there is your problem. Philips sucks.
Why do you say Philips sucks? Any technical evidence to back that statement up? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing just curious why you say that.. I've had only Sony (Trinitron) in the past but I'm not in a position to pay $5, 000 for a Sony HDTV, and I wouldn't if I could...I've got a house 2 cars and 2 kids

Why do you say Philips sucks? Any technical evidence to back that statement up? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing just curious why you say that.. I've had only Sony (Trinitron) in the past but I'm not in a position to pay $5, 000 for a Sony HDTV, and I wouldn't if I could...I've got a house 2 cars and 2 kids
Its all brand loyalty. My guess is he had a bad experience with a Phillips product, and thats why he said it. There are better quality plasmas, sure, but the TV is probably fine. Dont worry about it.

Its all brand loyalty. My guess is he had a bad experience with a Phillips product, and thats why he said it. There are better quality plasmas, sure, but the TV is probably fine. Dont worry about it.
You're probably right. I guess you could say there are better qualities in everything. I mean, sure you'd rather have a Ferrari but that doesn't mean that Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Hundai, etc. are "pieces"..I've had nothing but success with every Philips product I've bought. I have an Philips OTA ( to tide me over 'till HD locals--free is nice, but so is recording 2 shows at the same time) that was around 30.00 and it picks up stations an hour away in Charlotte, NC with 85% signal strength, and I read a few horror stories about that antenna..I think my picture problem boils down to nothing more than variances in channels. Some are OUTSTANDING, some are just so-so. I'm reading more and more posts that are exposing the differences in broadcasts(?) on their TVs, too. One guy said it may be over-compression..It's not killing me or harming me or my family in any way, so it's not too big a deal. I just thought I'd find some more intelligent insight to some small improvements I could make and I did. Thanks to everyone for their opinions!

And for anyone keeping up with this; I replaced the HDMI to DVI to HDMI cable with one HDMI cable..If it did anything it quieted down a very slight hum coming from the back of the TV. As I said before, it couldn't hurt..

I've been in some 5,000 homes in 10 years of installing satellites and working with everyone's equipment. I get plenty of opportunity to check out every consumer piece of TV-related electronics. When I say Philips sucks, its from years of seeing how crappy they are in people's homes. Also, Philips made the crappiest DirecTV receiver ever known to man -- the Philips DSX5500C. You should have stuck with Sony, I've only seen a few broken ones of those and of the broken ones, there was physical damage indicating owner abuse. But, that's a Wal-Mart TV for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)