2 Hopper only setup

I would like to upgrade from my current setup of 2 VIP 722 to 2 Hoppers only, and 0 Joeys. Is this possible?
message DIRT and ask. It wouldn't be a standard configuration, so it really depends on what leeway they have.

Sorry. I asked DIRT and was told they won't do that.

BUT others have reported success going thru local dealers. Others have suggested getting a 2H/2J and then telling the installer not to put in one or both Joeys. Not sure if anyone has actually done that.

doing the upgrade through a local retailer might be another option. I vaguely remember Schermann saying that retailers had a special way to configure the order in most configurations.

i dug up an old post on it... he mentioned that he set himself up as a new customer. so not really sure if it's the same for upgrades, but i'll post the quote:

Set up just like any other sale, reconnect (dish retailer order screen) asks how many hdtvs, dvr on how many TVs. It suggested 1 Hopper and 1 Joey. Clicked "customize" changed it to 2 hoppers and no Joey's and that was it. Check with local retailers if you can't get this done from Dish. No hoops to jump through here and now we know for sure.

I already have one hopper and one Joey and they won't allow me to get a 2nd hopper without a Joey. I want more recording space. I think three tuners with prime time off isn't enough... I think I'm going to just have to turn prime time off.

I think it just depends on who you talk to at Dish because I was able to get two hoppers and zero joeys installed. It was difficult to accomplish this request but I just kept asking to speak to the next person with more clout than the person who was saying no it can't be done. I eventually spoke to someone in the executive resolutions department who made it happen for an additional $175.00 for the second hopper. I have been a happy Dish customer for the last 100 days so I would keep trying if I was you.

DISH does not have an option for a 2Hopper and zero Joey installation.

I know it may have been posted somewhere already, but for a 2 Hopper install, what's the official minimum and maximum number Joeys for a 2 Hopper set-up? Grateful for the info because I will be getting a 2 Hopper install (with Duo, I hope) very soon. Thanks, maryb, in advance

"Minimum" is 2 and maximum is 6 for 2 Hoppers. For 3 Hoppers (purchase third Hopper) the maximum is 9 Joeys.

I'm not really 100% sure if this will work, but I have heard that (other than the local retailer option) you can order 2H/2J from Dish then tell the installer to take the Joeys back.

I have 3H/2J but that's because we purchased the third Hopper.

You can do 1 hopper and 0 Joey's. Have had a lot of those come through the office lately.

You might be able to get 1 hopper and then add another hopper only. Only additional cost would be the $15 tech visit fee if you have the protection plan.

As far as setting it up for 2 hopper and 2 Joey and having tech modify to just 2 hopper... if the system (computer) is set to require a 2 Joey minimum for 2 hoppers, as it seems to be since you can't initially set up with 2h/0j, then the system is not going to let it be modified to just 2 hoppers.

By doing a Dishin It Up for second hopper, you may could work around the system.

Point was that when the install is done, it doesn't matter what the "computer" says as the installer can just activate the 2 Hoppers and not the Joeys. Then, only the Hoppers are on the customer's account. The only flaw I can see in it is that Dish might "ding" the installer for not doing it "right." I've heard that Dish will ding installers for just about anything.

Point was that when the install is done, it doesn't matter what the "computer" says as the installer can just activate the 2 Hoppers and not the Joeys. Then, only the Hoppers are on the customer's account. The only flaw I can see in it is that Dish might "ding" the installer for not doing it "right." I've heard that Dish will ding installers for just about anything.

Actually, it does matter what the computer says. If the workorder calls for a certain number of joeys, the workorder won't close and activate if they are not added.
Installers cannot simply take back joeys without modifying the workorder, which requires talking to cust serv.

Could I buy two Hoppers and have them installed by myself, or a local installer with no problem? I assume that I can't just switch a 722 and 922 with two Hoppers as I would need a duo node? Don't really care about the Hoppers seeing each other.

Yes. You can do that. You will need the Duo Node though. Solid Signal sells them online. I'm sure there are other places as well. I added the third Hopper and bought the Solo Node from SS.

EDIT: I have been told (by Dish) that I can return the extra Joey for only 3H/1J if I choose to do so. I could also add another Joey later on at no cost (other than of course, the monthly fees.)

Last edited:
It does matter what the system says.

If a tech calls in to dash to activate, it asks for receiver and smartcard, then it says 'our records show there is another receiver to activate, please enter the receiver number.'

If a tech activates on his tablet in etadirect, all receivers on the work order must be inputted or it returns an error.

There is no way around this without the work order being modified to show only 2 hoppers are suppose to be installed.

Currently the only way to get a 2 hopper only install from the start would be through a retailer, or purchasing equipment outright and doing it yourself.

This doesn't mean you can't get 2h/2j installed, then before the tech leaves have him call in and deactivate the Joey's. But it also doesn't mean that will work either. Or if there would be any additional fees associated with doing this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)