2 Hopper3 possible?

roadrunner562

Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
We currently have 2 HWS and 4 joeys. Has anyone had set up with 2 Hopper 3 and 4 joeys in one house? Can it be done?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

What Bobby said above. I inquired abut 2 and 2 and was told by DIRT the following:

"Please note only one Hopper 3 is allowed per account and the Hopper 3 cannot be used with Hopper 2000, Hopper with Sling, Super Joey, or Virtual Joey."

Thanks for the info!!!

It's nice having two separate dvr's now but 16 turners sounds really good!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I would like two as well. Its nice to have the separation that I have now. I also have two OTA's. And definitely use two concurrent users in Dishanywhere.

I'm sitting out until Dish supports TWO H3's, as well. And it turns out a good thing that is for me because the initial bugs being reported are not something I am willing to deal with. So, by the end of the year when Dish is supposed to allow and support 2 H3's, a fair amount of the bugs should be fixed.

I’m holding off as well. Not being able go have two hoppers was a deal breaker for me. Until they offer that or a way for password or parental controlled folders, it will be a no go for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how long the free upgrade will last for those of you waiting? If you're waiting based on bugs, my experience has been pretty well bug free. There are some minor feature changes that I just need to get used to. Overall, the Hopper 3 has been a remarkable improvement over 2 Hoppers.

I wonder how long the free upgrade will last for those of you waiting? If you're waiting based on bugs, my experience has been pretty well bug free. There are some minor feature changes that I just need to get used to. Overall, the Hopper 3 has been a remarkable improvement over 2 Hoppers.

I know. That is something I had thought about too (how long they will be offering the free upgrade). My main concern are not the bugs. I am sure there will be bugs and some issues here and there (there always are with new technology and new software releases). My main concern is the inability to separate the recordings appropriately so that my kids are not able to view our recordings, etc.

I know there are parental controls. My concern is space (without having to resort to moving recordings every other day to clear up space) and seeing some of the titles of the recordings. Not that it’s anything horrible. But, you usually don’t want to have to explain certain titles (i.e. sex in the city or something similar) to your young children.

My two HWS seem to suit my needs better than an H3 and Joey, even if they are a bit more expensive.

16 tuners and the same storage space, well . . . . It may resolve timer conflicts, but will cause all new "conflicts" in storing all the wonderful new stuff that can be recorded. It won't work in my household. Plus I second that "separation" of content concern.

Reactions: TG2
16 tuners and the same storage space, well . . . . It may resolve timer conflicts, but will cause all new "conflicts" in storing all the wonderful new stuff that can be recorded. It won't work in my household. Plus I second that "separation" of content concern.
Two words, "external storage" I have three 2TB drives hooked up to my H3 and have more space than I know what to do with. This is coming from having 4 HWS units.

Reactions: rmoore3d
Two words, "external storage" I have three 2TB drives hooked up to my H3 and have more space than I know what to do with. This is coming from having 4 HWS units.
As mentioned by others here. This comes from years of DISH conditioning and everyone in the house having their own box and access to "their" recordings. Every ones recordings all in one place will not work. And don't mention folders. AND have an HD running 24/7/365 tends to make them die an early death. We need to have our programming separately with enough space for each user. And I am not the only one that has posted that here. We'll wait until the new switch is out and update then. Or by then they may allow an H3 and HwS on the same system that would be perfect! So there's more to it than just add this or just do this and it's not all that important right now with all the bugs that have yet to be ironed out. We can wait.

I think that’s the problem. I also have an external drive. And it’s great to archive shows, etc.

But, I don’t want to have to do that constantly (manage the drives and make sure there is plenty of room, etc by having to constantly move shows from the internal drive to the external drive) just to be able to record our shows.

I love the hopper and I 9 be Dish. But, I have to say - I think they may have taken a couple of steps back with this latest release. At least for previous hopper owners.

I think any one of the following options would satisfy long standing customers:

1. Allow for a hopper 3/ hopper 2 or 1 combo.

2. Password protected folders or access protected folders ( i.e bedroom hopper can access this folder but living room Joey can’t)

3. Automatically scheduled transfers. For example - provide a way for timers to have a setting that would automatically transfer their shows to an external drive at a certain time over night.

My preference would be 1 or 2. But, I would even upgrade and get the extra ehd's if they offered option 3.

I think the majority voice is - let’s find a way to separate this so we don’t have issues of kids deleting our shows only to find out much later when it was too late to restore the show, right in the middle of a major plot twist when trying to find the next episode (this exact scenario happened to us).

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't see the Hopper 3 as a step back. I think they will eventually allow multiple H3s on an account when the DHP42 switch is released.
I would have liked to have seen a larger hard drive, but I don't think that the Broadcom chipsets can "see" more than 2TB at a time.
For the VAST majority of Hopper 3 users, 2TB will be enough. For power users, like those of us that visit and post here, I can see the complaints.
However, it is an EXTREMELY nice feature to be able to have three 2TB drives that one can transfer recordings to for later use or to archive and back up recordings so that they could be moved over to another H3 should the current unit have problems.
Much better than DirecTV, where the receiver either sees the internal drive or the external drive and records to it, and then the external drive is married to that particular unit, if your HR34, 44, 54 dies, your programs go with it, even on the external unit.
For myself, I can't see very much to complain about with the Hopper 3. Opinions though, are like @ssholes, everybody has one.
I can certainly empathize with some potential Hopper 3 converts, seeing the shortcomings of not being able to have more than one Hopper 3 at the present time.
Hopefully, Dish will rectify the situation when the DPH42 switch is released.

I don't see the Hopper 3 as a step back. I think they will eventually allow multiple H3s on an account when the DHP42 switch is released.
I would have liked to have seen a larger hard drive, but I don't think that the Broadcom chipsets can "see" more than 2TB at a time.
For the VAST majority of Hopper 3 users, 2TB will be enough. For power users, like those of us that visit and post here, I can see the complaints.
However, it is an EXTREMELY nice feature to be able to have three 2TB drives that one can transfer recordings to for later use or to archive and back up recordings so that they could be moved over to another H3 should the current unit have problems.
Much better than DirecTV, where the receiver either sees the internal drive or the external drive and records to it, and then the external drive is married to that particular unit, if your HR34, 44, 54 dies, your programs go with it, even on the external unit.
For myself, I can't see very much to complain about with the Hopper 3. Opinions though, are like @ssholes, everybody has one.
I can certainly empathize with some potential Hopper 3 converts, seeing the shortcomings of not being able to have more than one Hopper 3 at the present time.
Hopefully, Dish will rectify the situation when the DPH42 switch is released.

Bobvick - I wasn’t referring to the hopper 3 as a step back. I was referring to the latest software being a step back for a major release. The hopper 3 is a great piece of hardware. Not complaining about that at all.

I would just hope they could have allowed a little more flexibility in the software to work around the shortcomings of not being able to have 2 devices.

The latest release has not really introduced any new features. The main focus has been a UI refresh. Now, having said that, as a software engineer myself, I know there was still a *ton* of work that went into this release. I am really appreciative of their efforts. I don’t want to come across as sounding like I am complaining about Dish or their software. It is still 10 times better than anything else out there.

However, I do feel that they could have introduced some key features in this release that have been requested by users for quite some time. Protected folders being one of those key features that would have allowed many of us to order the new hardware, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)