2 Hoppers, 4 Joeys, 2 Tech visits (6 Hrs Fri and 4 Hrs today) and still no second Hopper install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GreeneDish

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Central VA
OK, here is the quick rundown.
Tech came and installed new cable for the two Hoppers.
Installed the DuoNode.
Hooked up Hoppers but not Joeys.
Room one Hopper installs correctly but room two won't get a sat signal.
Checked cables and swapped DuoNode but still no signal to room two Hopper.
Swap Hoppers and second Hopper in room 1 now works but first Hopper now in room 2 gets no sat signal.
Swap cables on DuoNode, now room 2 gets sat signal but room 1 does not.
Regardless of swaps and replacing the DuoNode, the top left host node will not pass a sat signal.
Now have 1 Hopper on bottom host node working with 2 Joeys on adjacent client node and no signal on top host node.
Tech has spent over 4 hours on the phone with Dish but still no second Hopper.
Now, I am not even sure when he will be returning but hopefully it will be Tuesday.
So far, I am not impressed.

Ensure all three SAT lines are getting good signal. Are the SAT Inputs on the Duo Node connected to 44 Switch or directly to LNBF? If switch, ensure the SAT inputs are not passing through a power inserter before going to DuoNode (use ports 2,3,4 on switch, port 1 for power inserter). Either way make certain you're getting good signal on all three sat lines coming into the DuoNode.

At this point you have eliminated bad wire, bad hoppers, and bad nodes as possible causes, now seeing that only the lower HOST port leads me to believe this.

--cll

Hoppers will not work with duo node until the Hopper is reset to factory defaults in settings.

Both units had factory resets done.
It is actually the top Host Node that is not feeding.
LNB's go straight to DuoNode. No switches or power inserters.
Signal strength on the working node are as strong or stronger as on previous receivers.
When switching DuoNodes, it is the same Host Node that fails each time.
I, the Tech, and the 5-6 Dish Tech's we talked to on the phone are all stumped.
It has to be something simple we are missing but have no idea what it might be.
When on the acquiring sat signal page, it shows "Satellite : X" and jumps between Transponders never going past "Progress 0 of 5".

in your post you never indicated that you replaced the cabling feeding what was originally called room 2.

based on what you are posting, this is the most likely source of your issues.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

are all the other extra coax lines beyond the two hopper lines disconnected and the ports capped on the node while they are trying to activate? i.e. disconnect any joey lines and cap those ports on the node and make sure there's no taps and splitters in the system (basically as bare bones as possible)

that's all i can think of as a wild guess that there is some kind of interference. You really posted a tough one.

Last edited:
Did they run new cabling from the dish. Using the duo node if the sat 3 line will not actually pass full 3ghz may case a problem.

Did they run new cabling from the dish. Using the duo node if the sat 3 line will not actually pass full 3ghz may case a problem.

The sat 3 line only has to pass from 950 to 2150 just like the sat 1 & 2 lines.
It's the line from the NODE TO HOPPER that needs to be rated to 3GHz.

The cable from the node to the non-working Hopper is new. However, if the two Hopper cables are switched as to which Host node they are on, the top left node still will not pass the stat signal but the other Hopper will see the signal. Everything we have done points to something with the node but, as mentioned, this is the second node and the problem is the exact same down to the same host node failing. The only thing not done is working on the actual dish, LNB's, and cable to the house. I guess that is next. FYI, the dish and cable are less than a year old having been installed when I got my 722K.
Also, even with everything removed from the node and capped, the port still won't pass a signal.

heck, maybe even try a third duo node. Odds are you didn't get two defective, but you never know.

heck, maybe even try a third duo node. Odds are you didn't get two defective, but you never know.

It's very low, but non-zero to get 2 defective duo nodes in a row.

Behavior seems to indicate issue getting signal from one of the outputs into the node. I don't know if they are feeding off of a DPP44 or the integrated LNBF. I wonder if they are using a DPP44 if they are using the power insertor output line for that connection which is supposed to be a no-no.

Cheers,

You didn't respond what lnb is in you system, if lnb direct to node, then try putting a 44 switch between lnb and node, use ports 2,3,4.

Your switching cables and whatnot proved that no signal, or at least not the correct signal, is making it out of the node on that host port. You said there is no switches in the line before the node. As mentioned, it is unlikely you have two bad nodes in a row. This points to either LNB or cabling. Check the signal on ALL 3 cables going into the node. Run limit scans on all 3 cables. Check voltage on all 3 cables. If one of them isn't working as it should replace the LNB. If that line still doesn't read correctly, replace that line.

I theorize that the duo node works like this.
Sat in 1 - 2 tuners to Host 1
Sat in 2 - 1 tuner to Host 1, 1 tuner to host 2
Sat in 3 - 2 tuners to Host 2

Because each Hopper needs 3 tuners to function properly, and each DPP line can provide 2 tuners worth of signal, I believe my theory is sound.

Once your problem is solved, please enlighten the community.

I theorize that the duo node works like this.
Sat in 1 - 2 tuners to Host 1
Sat in 2 - 1 tuner to Host 1, 1 tuner to host 2
Sat in 3 - 2 tuners to Host 2

Because each Hopper needs 3 tuners to function properly, and each DPP line can provide 2 tuners worth of signal, I believe my theory is sound.

I myself have always believed this theory about the Duo Nodes. One particular host port not working (the same one on both duo nodes tested) seems to reenforce the idea of bad LNB or cabling between LNB and Node, just as jawxx suggested.

I always thought each cable was paired to a specific LNB and each LNB went to a specific satellite.
Now knowing different and seeing jawxx's theory, a bad LNB or cable makes a lot of sense.
I will let y'all know what we find out "hopefully" tomorrow.

Yes, I did. When he checked the dish he found one of the LNB's disconnected. Once attached everything worked as it should.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)