2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys - Will I be audited?

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
It's been years since I was called by the audit team. It was not a pleasant experience.

I have a 2-Hopper and 1 Joey setup for a long time and had not been bothered by the audit team.

If I add another Joey for the 2nd Hopper (making it total of 4 'receivers'), will I be audited?

I thought there was a 4-receiver or more audit rule? Does that still apply in the Hopper-Joey setup?

It's been years since I was called by the audit team. It was not a pleasant experience.

I have a 2-Hopper and 1 Joey setup for a long time and had not been bothered by the audit team.

If I add another Joey for the 2nd Hopper (making it total of 4 'receivers'), will I be audited?

I thought there was a 4-receiver or more audit rule? Does that still apply in the Hopper-Joey setup?

Shouldn't make a difference. I have two Hoppers and two Joeys. I have never been contacted by Dish.

Ok, I gotta ask - what the heck is a Dish audit??

Hopefully you'll never have to deal with them. This "team" was assembled to find account stackers. When you have a certain amount of receivers/ dvrs on your account it can trigger a friendly call from these wonderful folks.

If both Hoppers are connected to the Internet I would say doubtful or if connected to the same phone line.

I suspect the number of Joeys is irrelevant as they can't function without a Hopper. Of course, someone will point out that one can put a Hopper in their house and run coaxial cable to the neighbor's where they put a Joey....

When you have a certain amount of receivers/ dvrs on your account it can trigger a "friendly" call from these wonderful folks.
"Friendly" and "wonderful" are not two words normally associated with the Dish Audit "folks".

I should mention that I have my entire Hopper system connected to my internet so Dish has no reason to audit me. They already know all my equipment is on the same network in my house.

What do they ask? How long does it take?
I only know this from reading other's horror stories, but basically they call and have you go to a settings screen on each receiver on your account. On that screen, there's a randomly varying string of characters that you have to read to them.

• If you can't give them the numbers from the receivers, they presume you don't have the receiver, i.e. loaned it to someone else, and will shut it down.
  • If you take to long to get the numbers, i.e. they think you are walking to your neighbor's where you're sharing it (they think) or you texted the person who has it to get the numbers, they will shut it down. Doesn't matter if you live in a large house, receivers are spread out, or if you moved a receiver to the detached garage, for instance.
If they shut down a receiver, it's my understanding it's extremely difficult to get it turned back on.

It's pretty much a case of "we think you're account stacking (sharing/stealing service) and you need to prove that you're not".

I suspect the number of Joeys is irrelevant as they can't function without a Hopper. Of course, someone will point out that one can put a Hopper in their house and run coaxial cable to the neighbor's where they put a Joey....
Or wireless, or VPN...

Even though "advanced" options are possible, the percentage using them would be miniscule. I have to think the audit team wouldn't bother with auditing a 2h/2j system if they are all internet connected and on the same subnet - but have no basis for that other than common sense (and that can be a rare commodity).

Nah. Dish just had me install this exact configuration on an upgrade the other day.

Before the Super Joey came along, Dish was consistently having to send techs back to upgrade 4 room Hopper systems from 1 Hopper/3 Joeys to 2 Hoppers/2 Joeys because of the 3 tuners limitation not allowing people to watch live tv on all 4 tvs.

I should mention that I have my entire Hopper system connected to my internet so Dish has no reason to audit me. They already know all my equipment is on the same network in my house.

That didn't stop them from auditing me last year

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Doubtful, I have a HWS, a Hopper and 4 Joeys and haven't been bothered. I suspect as Hall stated earlier, the number of Hoppers is more key than the number of Joeys. The number of people that can successfully pull off account stacking with a Joey in a different location is likely pretty small and probably not worth messing with.

I have four HWSs and one Joey and haven't been audited yet. Before I had Hopper/Joeys I had four VIP722s and never was audited. I had the 722s and now all Hoppers connected straight to my router and all connected to phone line. Possibly, maybe the computers at Dish sense something by internet or phone line system that doesn't match their records somehow so the Audit folks make the call. This could be random or some kinda automatic system set up, no telling. I know one time many years ago, one day I took my home telephone system off line at the outside interface box for about three or four hours so I could work on my phone lines. Dish noticed that somehow and on my following month's Dish bill they had additional charges for my DVRs because they were not connected to the phone line. That was back in the day when Dish use to charge for DVRs that were not connected to the phone line. I called and explained what happened that day and they credited my bill.

Honestly, I had never heard of audits until I came to this site and I've been selling Dish for almost 10 years. I do not know a single person that has had an audit or heard from a customer that had it happen to them.

Honestly, I had never heard of audits until I came to this site and I've been selling Dish for almost 10 years. I do not know a single person that has had an audit or heard from a customer that had it happen to them.
I've been audited and if it happens again, I'm gone from Dish. Right after I complete the audit and they say all is well, I will ask to be connected to the cancellation department. They'll know why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts