2 HWS to Replace Hopper 2k & Joey?

jayiw

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I am in need of some advice...

So I got sick of not having enough tuners and the Joey being so slow and called Dish to replace the Joey. They told me $3/month more for a Super Joey (2 additional tuners) or $5/month for another Hopper (HWS version & 3 additional tuners). So for $2 more I get an extra tuner so I went with that. They are coming on Tuesday and replacing my old Hopper 2k with an HWS then replacing the Joey with another HWS.

My question is, did I make the right decision going with an HWS to replace the Joey rather then a Super Joey? Does anyone else have 2 Hoppers without any problems? Is the Super Joey faster then a HWS?

Thanks!
Jay

The biggest benefit to having two Hoppers vs. a Hopper and a SJ is you have redundancy if one of the Hoppers craps out on you. With the SJ, if the Hopper craps out, your SJ won't work either until the Hopper gets replaced. I think you made the right choice.

My wallet lets me do a lot of things, but I only do the things that make the most sense to me.

Not sure if this works with your combination, but with my 2 HWS's, if I want to set a timer and there isn't a tuner available, it will ask me if I want to set it on the other HWS.

Hard for me to comprehend keeping two Hoppers busy and then having the time to watch it all....well I can, but will never go there.

Hard for me to comprehend keeping two Hoppers busy and then having the time to watch it all....well I can, but will never go there.
I don't have nearly enough time but my wife on the other hand has plenty. I record a few shows but she records tons of stuff... I mean how many Dance Moms shows are there? There's like 3 of them in one day, not to mention all the other crap she records.

The biggest thing I think most people would not want to do 2 HWS, is the full integration. With 2 HWS, you cannot control timers from room to room. You can watch recordings, and if all three timers are busy on your current hopper, then it will move up to 2(I believe 2 is the limit) to the other hopper if available. If you want to skip a timer or delete a timer, you will have to go to the room it is in to do so. That all said, I have 2 hoppers and 2 joeys, both the hoppers are mine, the 2 joeys are my roommates... I wouldn't go with a SJ personally...I like the idea of having the additional storage, tuner, and confidence if one goes down, I can still watch TV.

So the tech came today to install the two HWS's. When he was putting the second one in I asked him to make sure that I could access all tuners on each TV and he said you could only access the 3 tuners that are on each one, but not all on each one. Same goes with recording events. The only thing he said that can be accessed by both is the DVR recordings. Well needless to say that would not have worked for me so I wound up with a Super Joey on my second TV. Boy is it leaps and bounds faster than the standard Joey. I can actually type in a search box. Amazing!

Jay

That's the way 2 Hoppers work. What does happen is that if you attempt to set a timer that would cause a conflict on that Hopper it will ask you if you want to record on the other Hoppers.

So the tech came today to install the two HWS's. When he was putting the second one in I asked him to make sure that I could access all tuners on each TV and he said you could only access the 3 tuners that are on each one, but not all on each one. Same goes with recording events. The only thing he said that can be accessed by both is the DVR recordings. Well needless to say that would not have worked for me so I wound up with a Super Joey on my second TV. Boy is it leaps and bounds faster than the standard Joey. I can actually type in a search box. Amazing!

Jay

Sounds like that was the way to go. You are not kidding the search on my Joey is useless, it is impossible to type in the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts