2 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCom911

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Watch Your Own Heart Attack is an unforgettable, two minute film which enables you to experience what it's like to have a heart attack first hand....

Link: Heart Attack

Please, view the 2 minute video first, prior to reading the article, as it contains spoilers... Above link provides the best quality feed, as well as bandwidth, for the (Flash) video.

Monday August 11 2008 06:52 BST
Mark Sweney

(Guardian-UK) TV ad featuring actor Steven Berkoff punching and gagging an unseen man, shot to make it seem like the man is the viewer, aims to graphically portray what it is like to have a heart attack.

The ad, called "Watch your own heart attack", has been made as part of a wider awareness campaign for the British Heart Foundation.

It was due to be broadcast just once on UK TV, during last night's ITV1 repeat of Midsomer Murders.

The ad, the first work by the charity's new ad agency Grey London since it won the BHF account in May, is unusually long for a TV commercial, with a two-minute 20-second scene featuring Berkoff talking to camera about the symptoms of a heart attack.

Berkoff, a veteran of the stage and screen with credits including A Clockwork Orange, Beverly Hills Cop, Rambo: First Blood Part II and Octopussy, is filmed from the point of view of a potential heart attack victim who is the only other person in the room with him.

During the course of the scene Berkoff simulates symptoms through methods including a punch to the chest, applying tape to the mouth of the sufferer to simulate breathing difficulties, and getting his victim in a vice-like hug to show tightness in the chest.

The ad ends with the victim vomiting and Berkoff warning that not all heart attack symptoms are as obvious as people think.

"When we were doing a research group for the pitch someone said 'what you really need to do is give everyone in Britain a heart attack'," said Jon Williams, the chief creative officer at Grey London, "so we did".

The BHF said that the aim of the ad was to get people to call 999 as soon as they experience heart attack symptoms and not to dismiss danger signals as being minor problems.

"We're bringing heart attacks to life in living rooms because understanding how one could feel might mean the difference between life and death," said Betty McBride, the director of policy and communications at the BHF.

The TV ad was directed by Channel 4's creative director Brett Foraker.

Foraker has worked on Channel 4 promos including a trail for the broadcaster's Disarming Britain anti-gun season, with youths doing the two finger "gun salute", and reviving Max Headroom in a promotional clip for digital switchover.

The BHF's one-off TV airing of the ad was promoted by a poster campaign and teaser TV and radio teasers featuring personalities such as Chris Tarrant and David Cameron.

Steven Berkoff ad for British Heart Foundation portrays effects of a heart attack | Media | guardian.co.uk

since its chit chat material this is where it belongs...why would it be on latest headlines???

Its Media News... Its a first (remember the Super Bowl Apple commercial)... for months, in the UK, there's been a national campaign — posters, kiosks, bus stops, train platforms, etc., all leading up to this once only — '2 Minutes', alluding to the one-time presentation, during prime-time — the advert, that could literally save your life.

The spot was to be shown once, and once only...

I thought it brilliant in concept and scope... the ad agency (Grey London) that produced it, is to be commended.

The sad part... the story could help save someone's life... too bad you view it as 'chit-chat'...

BTW, if you haven't managed to figure it out, by now... I work in the industry.

And judging by its hits... it appears newsworthy. And if it manages to save just one life, isn't that the point? ;)

Now that's buried here, little chance anyone will really see it.

Last edited:
but again I ask you.....what does it have to do with satellite?

it is non satellite related so it belongs in the chit chat forum :)

Well, right now, I get a few seconds, some guy walks in a door, and nothing more happens, just waits on d/l. Maybe it will be working tomorrow.

but again I ask you.....what does it have to do with satellite?

it is non satellite related so it belongs in the chit chat forum :)

Ice, first, understand, I'm not trying to be a jerk...

You're right, it isn't satellite related, nor are the vast majority of stories posted in the 'Latest Headlines' at SatGuys via 'MultiChannel News'. You'll notice, the vast majority of stories from 'MultiChannel News' are media related, not satellite.

I've noticed, not to boast, but the majority of my posts do seem to gather interest (hits). People have complimented me, at times, for my efforts, and a few others... :eek:

I try to only post articles of interest, that fall within the same general genre.

I work in media, and subscribe to, and have access to news services within the industry. I contribute to SatGuys, at times, in an attempt to find ways of simplifying — concentrating large meandering, convoluted, on again-off again topics, and discussions in threads and topics, into brief, easily accessible and understandable statements, that we can all understand and use.

What I do, my efforts, its my hope... contributes to the overall value of SatGuys.

Honestly Ice, if I thought what I was doing was inappropriate nor had no media industry value, I wouldn't post, as it would be a waste of everyone's time, especially mine.

I thought the story held great merit, had legs, and was of great value and importance, as it represented a vastly different approach in marketing via media.

If you'll read the story, watch the video, and then compare its contents to what is in the 'Latest Headlines' section, I believe you'd understand why I posted it. It wasn't out of malice our glory... just as you contribute technically as well as monitoring appropriate and inappropriate activity on the website, I to try to make my small contribution, to the whole.

I don't post to be busy or the first. I post articles that I feel are in the interests of the SatGuys' community.

BTW, my 'we' avatar doesn't make me a liberal, and I'm not... it simply shows, I'm conscious of the environment... Scott's even alluded to understanding my avatar.

Please don't see me as some jerk who just posts BS.

I really believe, I'm contributing to the SatGuys vast wealth of knowledge...

If you'll notice, I refrain from flaming, etc... and when I do see inappropriate conversations, I try to neutralize...

Take for example, this morning, I replied to the following thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/132633-dish-network-baja-mexico.html

Ice, I really thought, by posting the article in 'Latest Headlines', it was relevant to its overall genre... If I'm nothing but an annoyance, tell me so, and I'll stop posting altogether. Seriously, OK?

Take care :)

Last edited:
Well, right now, I get a few seconds, some guy walks in a door, and nothing more happens, just waits on d/l. Maybe it will be working tomorrow.

Its probibly being hammered, at the moment... I posted it before it became such a massive media story... try hitting it again, I thought it well worth the look, and made me think, at 53, I should be more receptive to what my body tries to tell me. :p

BTW, thats the one problem with 'Adobe's Flash', it streams and doesn't buffer like I'd wish it to.

MultiChannel News headlines is for... ummm MultiChannel News Headlines. Thus why this was not appropriate there.

But this is a perfect fit for the Chit Chat forum. :)

I have fixed the bug so no one can post in the MultiChannel News forums (except for MultiChannel News of course) :D

MultiChannel News headlines is for... ummm MultiChannel News Headlines. Thus why this was not appropriate there.

But this is a perfect fit for the Chit Chat forum. :)

I have fixed the bug so no one can post in the MultiChannel News forums (except for MultiChannel News of course) :D

I respect your decision, Scott. :)

Would you consider an alternative venue so others could post media industry related stories?

Please remember, I always thought I was contributing...

Thanks for the feedback... :)

WOW. Really, really, good. I've forwarded it to my wife. I wonder who else I can send it to, that might not take offense.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)