2 questions (Joey2 optical cable and soundbar code for Dish remote)

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
I have been struggling with two issues regarding a new soundbar I am trying to use with my kitchen tv. The tv is connected to Joey2. So, hdmi cable is still between tv and Joey2. The old Vizio soundbar was providing the sound with RCA cables (red and white) from Joey2. Vizio was fine, yet it was too long (about 29 ") for the counter top. The new one is only 15 and 1/2 ".

Problem 1: Originally (with old soundbar), I tried an optical audio cable (assuming it is better than good old rca cables). Joey2 offers optical input. Optical cable (both the cheapo that came with Vizio and a better quality one I own) didn't work at all. Of course, I changed the mode on Vizio to optical. Nope. RCA cables from Joey2 to Vizio soundbar were fine. So, I just gave up, and thought the issue was caused by the soundbar.
Today, a new soundbar and a new cheapo optical cable (connected to Joey2). Still no sound! Just static. Basically, I am bypassing the tv and trying to get sound from Joey2 to soundbar with optical cable. It simply doesn't work. RCA cables are fine. Is there any solution to this problem?
(We mostly catch up with the news with this small tv. RCA connection is probably good enough for dialogs. )

Problem 2: I am unable to use the Dish remote (52) for soundbar. With the old Vizio soundbar, it was pretty easy to program it. (The tv is also Vizio brand.) The new soundbar (Majority Bowfell from Amazon) has just one code. When I select that code, it does not work. Dish remote will not operate the soundbar. I also tried 'tech commands'. No luck. It is not a very big deal. There is hopefully some solution.

Any suggestions?

Problem 1: Originally (with old soundbar), I tried an optical audio cable (assuming it is better than good old rca cables). Joey2 offers optical input. Optical cable (both the cheapo that came with Vizio and a better quality one I own) didn't work at all. Of course, I changed the mode on Vizio to optical. Nope. RCA cables from Joey2 to Vizio soundbar were fine. So, I just gave up, and thought the issue was caused by the soundbar.
Today, a new soundbar and a new cheapo optical cable (connected to Joey2). Still no sound! Just static. Basically, I am bypassing the tv and trying to get sound from Joey2 to soundbar with optical cable. It simply doesn't work. RCA cables are fine. Is there any solution to this problem?
(We mostly catch up with the news with this small tv. RCA connection is probably good enough for dialogs. )
Sounds like a PCM/Dolby issue. Essentially, Dish receivers by default output audio in Dolby Digital, and some devices (especially sound bars) if they are old enough don't support this via optical. So changing the receiver to PCM might do it. Its a little hidden, but the steps to try are: Home x2 >> Settings >> Audio Output >> Dolby Audio. Try disabling that and see if it helps.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi Ethan; I already tried that. No difference. I read the reviews of the soundbar at Amazon. The audio output needs to be PCM if optical cable is used. I turned off "Dolby", meaning PCM is on. Still no sound.

Hi Hipkat; I read everything in new soundbar's user guide. I changed the input. The manufacturer uses a color pattern everytime you change the input. Orange for optical, green for rca, and so on. A tiny bulb on the right side of the soundbar glows.

Extra info: I have a similiar setup in my basement. Joey2, a big screen Vizio tv with optical input and a Vizio soundbar with 2 rear speakers. HDMI cable between joey and tv. Optical cable between tv and the soundbar. Tv's sound is muted. When I press 'tv' button on Dish remote, tv is on. Then I press either 'volume' button on Dish remote, soundbar is on. I hardly use soundbar's remote. My small Vizio tv in the kitchen has no optical input. So, the only option I had with optical cable was connecting it to Joey2.

Could the Joey2's optical input somehow defective? I made sure the cable connection was tight on both ends.

One thing I am planning to do today is using the optical cable between basement Joey and the kitchen Vizio soundbar (I will take it down there.)
If the sound comes out, I guess that means kitchen Joey is causing the trouble.

Hi Ethan; I already tried that. No difference. I read the reviews of the soundbar at Amazon. The audio output needs to be PCM if optical cable is used. I turned off "Dolby", meaning PCM is on. Still no sound.

Hi Hipkat; I read everything in new soundbar's user guide. I changed the input. The manufacturer uses a color pattern everytime you change the input. Orange for optical, green for rca, and so on. A tiny bulb on the right side of the soundbar glows.

Extra info: I have a similiar setup in my basement. Joey2, a big screen Vizio tv with optical input and a Vizio soundbar with 2 rear speakers. HDMI cable between joey and tv. Optical cable between tv and the soundbar. Tv's sound is muted. When I press 'tv' button on Dish remote, tv is on. Then I press either 'volume' button on Dish remote, soundbar is on. I hardly use soundbar's remote. My small Vizio tv in the kitchen has no optical input. So, the only option I had with optical cable was connecting it to Joey2.

Could the Joey2's optical input somehow defective? I made sure the cable connection was tight on both ends.

One thing I am planning to do today is using the optical cable between basement Joey and the kitchen Vizio soundbar (I will take it down there.)
If the sound comes out, I guess that means kitchen Joey is causing the trouble.
My guess is the optical output on the Joey is defective. If you have another Joey or another device with an optical output to test with, that would tell you for sure. Also, is the red light on at the end of the optical cable when it's plugged into the Joey?

Also, maybe a silly question, but there isn't a protective plastic cap from the end of an optical cable stuck inside the Joey's optical output?

I experimented in my basement. A different Joey2 ,optical cable and old kitchen Vizio sound bar. Changed the mode on sound bar to optical. And it worked!!!!! HDMI is providing the video to tv, and audio is coming thru the sound bar. Tv’s built in speakers are muted.

you were right on the money Hipkat. It seems the kitchen Joey2 has a defective optical output. When it is off, there is a red light inside the socket where you insert the cable. There is a plastic permanent cover that blocks the socket. Nothing loose inside the socket When you insert the cable in, one side of the plastic cover goes in, too.

Now, it wouldn’t make sense to ask Dish to send me a replacement Joey. Since I use 2 more Joeys, Is it okay to substitute two of them?

I experimented in my basement. A different Joey2 ,optical cable and old kitchen Vizio sound bar. Changed the mode on sound bar to optical. And it worked!!!!! HDMI is providing the video to tv, and audio is coming thru the sound bar. Tv’s built in speakers are muted.

you were right on the money Hipkat. It seems the kitchen Joey2 has a defective optical output. When it is off, there is a red light inside the socket where you insert the cable. There is a plastic permanent cover that blocks the socket. Nothing loose inside the socket When you insert the cable in, one side of the plastic cover goes in, too.

Now, it wouldn’t make sense to ask Dish to send me a replacement Joey. Since I use 2 more Joeys, Is it okay to substitute two of them?
Do you see the red light on the suspect Joey optical out port, you can use a pencil to raise the little door. If not it's the Joey. If you see the red light on the suspect Joey, when you plug in the optical cable do you see a red light on the other side of the cable before you plug it into the sound bar? If not replace that optical cable.

YMMV if you call Dish, depending on the CSR, as with most calls to Dish.

Do you see the red light on the suspect Joey optical out port, you can use a pencil to raise the little door. If not it's the Joey. If you see the red light on the suspect Joey, when you plug in the optical cable do you see a red light on the other side of the cable before you plug it into the sound bar? If not replace that optical cable.
I think he's tried 2 different cables

Gentlemen; I felt I had nothing to lose. I swapped both Joeys. (Kitchen and the basement). It worked as expected. I needed to swap the remotes, too.

Bobby; the red light is always there. I gently pushed that door (cover) you mentioned with a toothpick. No plastic cap is stuck. I tried 3 cables. Very cheap looking cables that came with sound bars and a better one I purchased. That last one is much better quality and fits perfectly on both ends.
Problem 1 is outa here!!
I also retried to program dish remote to operate the new sound bar. I literally measured the space between 2 remotes for 4 inches! I managed to get that done, too! Now, dish remote increases/decreases sound bar volume.

Is it possible to turn on/off soundbars with dish remote?

I pressed the 'aux' button on left side, then power button on top left (model 52). that didn't work.
Problem 2 mostly solved!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts