2 receivers using tone switch to select 2 dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpcramins

Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Possibly a dumb idea, but here goes:

I currently have two dishes (6 feet each), the first is centered on Panamsat 8 which I use for FTA BBC, etc and the second is centered on NSS 5. Unfortunantly, the PowerVU receiver for the AFN reception on NSS 5 is not capable of tone signaling for Diseqc, etc. My FTA receiver is of course capable of these things so I am trying to figure out how to select a dish with either receiver without running another length of cable (I know, simple fix until you figure I am living in Navy housing and I went through hell just to get the two dishes). With the writing skills of a 3 year old, I have attached a picture of what I would like to do, which is this:

Connect both antennas to a 22khz switch, the antenna on the 0khz input will be for NSS 5 and the one for 22khz will be on Panamsat 8. The feed runs to a power passing splitter which has the two outputs feeding into both receivers. Now for why I don't think it will work, if both receivers are powered up, I would have two voltage sources on the same line, probably a bad thing. In theory my idea was that when the FTA receiver is powered up, the 22khz from the receiver selects the input from PAS 8 and I can receive FTA from that SAT. When the FTA receiver is off and the Scientific Atlanta 9834 receiver (no tone capability) is on, the port for 0khz (the dish on NSS 5) is selected and I can view those channels.

The only other option I can see is using a loop out port on the FTA receiver but this will not allow switching polarity via voltage control, I would have to use the FTA receiver to accomplish this.

The laughs are on me but I thought I would ask...

Garry

Attachments

• proposal.JPG
    proposal.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 179
Unfortunately I don't see any alternative to a second cable to the dish location and using a multiswitch. Do your LNBFs have dual outputs on them?

The only way to get by with one cable would be to use the loop out port and as you've already figured out, the "slave" receiver will see only the same dish and polarity as the "master" which selects it.

Edit: I just noticed in your diagram you mention having only one receiver turned on at a time. That, with a good splitter (not the cheap 900mhz cable type) might actually work. But if you ever had them both powered, you might fry something.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help

Yes, I kind of figured I would fry something which is why I asked you folks first before I burned up a $600.00 receiver. Given the possibilities of the kids firing both receivers up, I think I will just bite the bullet and run another length of cable. I had also considered using an A/B switch at the receiver to select either one. The LNBF's have a single output and are PBI units (probably not brand name, but they do seem to work well).

Garry

Status
Please reply by conversation.

need set up help

would fta work in my area

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)