2 tuners, 2 coax inputs?

jon6569

Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Sorry about the simplicity of a question that must have been answered endlessly here but I can't find the answer in my searches. This is a great site with friendly help - thanks in advance.

I'm getting the DVR 522 installed in a couple of days and want to do any pre-wiring of my house that would be useful. Does the DVR 522 automatically get two inputs from the dish (or dishes)? In other words, are we talking three coax runs needed to bring 2 signals to the tuners and 1 signal from the DVR 522 to TV 2?

Also, I have some existing house cabling that I'd like to use. From what I've read, the installer doesn't want to use these lines? Or is it that old cable coax won't carry the signal properly?

Thanks.

Jon H.

Your first question...

you are correct... 2 into 1 out...

As for existing wiring... If there are any splitters or anything like that... no it isnt gonna happen. If there are no splitters and the cable is RG6 and rated for at least 2200mhz you should be ok.

You should be able to use existing cabling for the TV2 out but they probably won't use it for the satellite input connections.

thanks!

Thanks ShadowEKU! Again, this is a great site because of folks like you.

So, if it's RG5 or something like that (it's hard to read) I probably need to run new coax?

j.

jon6569 said:
Thanks ShadowEKU! Again, this is a great site because of folks like you.

So, if it's RG5 or something like that (it's hard to read) I probably need to run new coax?

j.

Everything so far in the thread is correct... most likely if it has a 5 in it its RG-59... which wont work with sat inputs. It will work with the output of "TV2" though

What Shadow et al said.

Let the installer run good dual RG-6 for the satellite feeds, and use the hosue wiring to distribute the TV2 signal to the house.

This assumes you are NOT still hooked up to the cable system for TV or internet.

Hey, you folks are fantastic. This information has been extremely helpful!

Last question, will TV2, with RG-59 coax, have a signal that's noticeably depreciated, or is that impossible to know until I see it?

j.

jon6569 said:
Hey, you folks are fantastic. This information has been extremely helpful!

Last question, will TV2, with RG-59 coax, have a signal that's noticeably depreciated, or is that impossible to know until I see it?

j.

Expect some considering it is going to be Coax. Expect more depending on how many splitters are between the reciever and the Tv and expect more based on distance... its relative really.

Depending on how much you have between the 2 devices is how much loss you can expect. I have my 522's tv2 out working the whole hosue so i can watch anything recorded in the living room anywhere I want. I dont see much drop and theres 2 2way splitters and about 60 feet of cable give or take. Its hard to tell... there are ways of improving if its bad though. you want to cross that bridge when you come to it though as it does involve spending some coin.

I have a setup similar to ShadowEKU but I have a long cable run with a 4-way splitter so I had to put a signal amplifier on the TV2 output. Without the amp. the picture was grainy on the remote TVs.