2008-09 MLB Hot Stove

I like some of the move the A's have made to their offense.

Holliday, Giambi, Cabrera and Nomar isn't a bad offseason haul! :up

Good enough to make the playoffs?

Unless the Halos collapse or are decimated by injuries, their best bet will be the Wild-Card.

Unless the Halos collapse or are decimated by injuries, their best bet will be the Wild-Card.

I don't think their pitching is stong enough (which is USUALLY their strength).

I also heard earlier that, Justin Duchscherer is being sent to have his ailing right elbow looked at. No other A's starter has more than a year's experience.

I do think they're capable of winning 80-85 games, however.

Source: Manny, Dodgers agree

By Enrique Rojas
ESPNdeportes.com

ORLANDO, Florida -- [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=2974"]Manny Ramirez Stats, News, Photos - Los Angeles Dodgers - ESPN[/ame] and the [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=lad"]Moved Permanently[/ame] finally reached common ground in their negotiations, according to a source close to the talks.

2974.jpg

Ramirez

After multiple failed attempts, Ramirez and the Dodgers agreed to a two-year, $45 million deal on Tuesday.

The Dodgers announced last week that agent Scott Boras had declined the team's fourth offer to the star outfielder -- a one-year, $25 million contract with a $20 million player option for 2010.

The outfielder is expected to travel to Los Angeles on Tuesday night. Ramirez would then report to the Dodgers' spring training camp in Arizona.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter for ESPNdeportes.com.

A's , yes it would have to be the WC, I and I doubt thats happening either, it may actually be easier for them to win thier division than beat out NY, Boston, TB Detroit , Cleveland, Chic. Wh Sox , Minnesota.
Out of the teams listed,they would have to have the 4th best record among this list.

I don't see it happening.

Jimbo

Sorry folks, L.A. goes to sleep tonight with no sure-fire certainty that he is signed with the Dodgers. Wayyyyyy too many conflicting blogs and reports.

Correct my friend. Manny's agent Scott Boros is denying the deal is done.

Looks like ESPN Deportes is jumping the gun on this story. No one else is confirming this is a done deal yet.

If you take Baseball Prospectus' word for it, the A's will win their division over the almighty Halos.

I WANT the A's to be good again...very good. Back when they had really good teams it was fun having a bit of a rivalry. Remember John Lackey and Jason Kendall going @ it on the mound? Or how about Kendall stealing home and winning the game when KRod dropped the ball between pitches???? GREAT STUFF!!!:hungry:

Manny, Dodgers Agree To Terms

By Drew Silva [March 3 at 7:53pm CST]
According to ESPN's Enrique Rojas, Manny Ramirez has agreed to a two-year, $45MM deal with the Dodgers.
Plenty more details to come...

what's the difference in this deal vs. the one rejected last week that I believe was also for 2 years at the same $45M? No deferred money and the 2nd year is guaranteed, not a option?

what's the difference in this deal vs. the one rejected last week that I believe was also for 2 years at the same $45M? No deferred money and the 2nd year is guaranteed, not a option?

Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

Good question, I was wondering the same thing.

The difference is LAST week/month and this week, NO ONE wanted him for that prices EXCEPT the Dodgers. Personally, I think the METS made a huge mistake in NOT going after him. I think him in the line-up would have made the NL East a lock for them to win. NOW, they have to hope that NO ON gets hurt in that starting line-up....ESPECIALLY Carlos Beltran who to me, seems like the only guy that is capable of carrying a team on his back if a injury to the other big bats in the line-up(Reyes and Wright)were to happen.

According to this article, money is deferred, and the second year is a player option.

The slugger can void the second season of the deal and again become a free agent.

Ramirez gets $10 million this year, and $15 million in deferred money with no interest, payable in $5 million installments each Jan. 15 from 2010 through 2012. If it winds up as a two-year deal, he gets $10 million each season, with three payments of $8,333,333 each Jan. 15 from 2011-13.

Dodgers, Ramirez agree on 2-year, $45M contract - Forbes.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts