2016 NCAA pre season football discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. Oh wise one tell us. Why should they? They already play everyone in the conference unlike the other conferences. Other than breaking a tie, why should they play again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
They should play again because everyone else plays a Championship game.

Theres nothing saying that the Buckeyes and Michigan won't play twice a year, why should they be any different ... SEC is the same way, theres always the potential for thier teams to play twice as well.

They should play again because everyone else plays a Championship game.

Theres nothing saying that the Buckeyes and Michigan won't play twice a year, why should they be any different ... SEC is the same way, theres always the potential for thier teams to play twice as well.

That is the dumbest reason. Other than a tie which we know has occurred, there is no reason(other than $$$$ and whiney media and coaches) for a championship game in a 10 team conference with a 9 game round robin schedule. It won't be a RARE potential rematch but a definite rematch with 10 teams.

That is the dumbest reason. Other than a tie which we know has occurred, there is no reason(other than $$$$ and whiney media and coaches) for a championship game in a 10 team conference with a 9 game round robin schedule. It won't be a RARE potential rematch but a definite rematch with 10 teams.
First of all, like I said before, its All about the MONEY.

I have been against the Conference Championship games from the start. .... but it's a sec thing and they found a way to make more money, and the rest saw it and also wanted the income.

I have no problem going back to 10-12 team conferences and take the top teams as the winner. ... top would win and more than likely the next would be looking at a wild card ....

I think these 14-16 and probably larger soon are dumb.
how do you play all the teams then, it would take 5 years.

OK. Oh wise one tell us. Why should they? They already play everyone in the conference unlike the other conferences. Other than breaking a tie, why should they play again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Because if they continued to not do it, and other conferences did, when it is close as to who gets in the playoffs, that extra game means a world of difference. As has already played out one season. Its a disadvantage for the top teams as long as other conferences have them.

In 2011, OK State would have likely leapfrogged bama into the national title game if they had had the conference champ game to play and had won.

Because if they continued to not do it, and other conferences did, when it is close as to who gets in the playoffs, that extra game means a world of difference. As has already played out one season. Its a disadvantage for the top teams as long as other conferences have them.
yes and no.

The extra game can come back and screw them, especially if the #1 team is unbeaten and loses to 3-loss team in the championship game, as has happened several time when the Big-12 had a game, and in the SEC when 3-loss UGA beat undefeated LSU in '03.

Year before last was a perfect storm with several 1-loss teams.

Reactions: Jimbo
Oh sure. It can, but I think the disadvantages of not having one outweigh the disadvantage of having one. Especially when you factor in the extra income.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I love the Championship games. I can't imagine why anyone is against more football. Unless they are just afraid that their team may lose.

I love the Championship games. I can't imagine why anyone is against more football. Unless they are just afraid that their team may lose.
I agree. Even if alot of the bowls are pointless and take away from the "reward" aspect of having a good season, more football is more football. I can not be unhappy about it.

I agree. Even if alot of the bowls are pointless and take away from the "reward" aspect of having a good season, more football is more football. I can not be unhappy about it.
And yet you argued against a full 16-team playoff a couple years ago.

Probabaly because your Tide does better with the current (forgive them of a loss) system ;)

And yet you argued against a full 16-team playoff a couple years ago.

Probabaly because your Tide does better with the current (forgive them of a loss) system ;)
I argued against expanding the playoff, and still think it is unnecessary. I do not think I argued against it because of more football though, perhaps I did with the stance that the season would be extended, but it was from a time standpoint, or game additions for single teams. Not games played as a whole.

Baylor must really want the death penalty, as they're actually considering not actually getting rid of Briles, and oly give him a 1-yr "suspension".

Do they not realise that keeping the same people around that broke all the rules is why SMU got the dealth penalty?

It's not like he didn't do anything, except hide player rapes, retalliate against witnesses and victims. All that is easily outweighed by football wins. :eyesroll:

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/baylor-one-year-suspension-art-briles/308069
Believe it or not, Art Briles has not been fired by Baylor just yet.

According to a report from Chip Brown of Scout.com, Baylor officials are set to meet on Monday to decide if the university should move on from Briles or only ban him from the program for a year. Some of Baylor’s big-money donors who helped fund the new $300 million football stadium are reportedly pushing for a one-year suspension for Briles.

I argued against expanding the playoff, and still think it is unnecessary. I do not think I argued against it because of more football though, perhaps I did with the stance that the season would be extended, but it was from a time standpoint, or game additions for single teams. Not games played as a whole.
still, more football is more football ;)

I wonder if the DA is a Tide Alumni...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/2...a-college-football-players.html?intcmp=hplnws
The Louisiana district attorney announced Monday that gun and drug charges against two college football players have been dropped.

District Attorney Jerry Jones told KNOE-TV that there was insufficient evidence to bring charges against University of Alabama athletes Cam Robinson and Laurence Jones. He said there wasn’t enough evidence to prove who was in possession of the gun and the drugs.

"I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning,” Jones said.

Both players were arrested last month at a public park in Louisiana at 2:30 a.m. and were charged with possession of a controlled substance and possessing a firearm in the presence of drugs. Robinson was also charged with felony possession, according to Al.com.

According to ESPN, citing a police report, an officer approached the players’ vehicle at the closed park and smelled marijuana. The report alleges that the marijuana and handgun were in in plain sight and the stolen handgun was found under the passenger seat.

Well I have tickets and I'm going to the Bristol event. It should be interesting. They are saying it is sold out with over 150,000 tickets sold. I'm not sure the record will ever been broken. I sure hope the weather is good and that TN dominates.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/te...-vs-virginia-tech-battle-at-bristol-sold-out/

This game falls with VT in a horrible position with a new coach to break in, new QB... all kinds of questions and Tenn coming off a good season last year with just about all returning starters.
I wouldn't say dominate but it doesn't look good for VT in this game. I said the same thing a few years ago when VT went up to Columbus and played OhioState on home turf and dominated them...so don't count those dominating chickens just yet..anything can happen.

I don't see myself posting here much anymore just FYI guys - I've taken on other things so my time is limited to come here and since I don't install no more for dish (thank God!) I really don't need to.
May swing by here a few times during the season.

This game falls with VT in a horrible position with a new coach to break in, new QB... all kinds of questions and Tenn coming off a good season last year with just about all returning starters.
I wouldn't say dominate but it doesn't look good for VT in this game. I said the same thing a few years ago when VT went up to Columbus and played OhioState on home turf and dominated them...so don't count those dominating chickens just yet..anything can happen.

I don't see myself posting here much anymore just FYI guys - I've taken on other things so my time is limited to come here and since I don't install no more for dish (thank God!) I really don't need to.
You had a very good QB when you played the Buckeyes.

Dont be a stranger, hate to lose an active member. Plenty of other topics to discuss besides sat installs.

Stick around. Ga Tech tends to suck at times, especially last year, and I stay here. It's fun to talk about football, even if your team is out of the running.

I cut the cord and got rid of satellite years ago, and still frequent this forum, just not the sat ones.

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)