2019-20 NCAA Football Thread

SEC commish is preparing folks for the very real possibility that the season may not be played.

Dare I suggest, Spring Football?

Dare I suggest, Spring Football?
That is one idea being floated.

The NJCAA is planning to announce such a move today.

According to Max Olson of TheAthletic.com, the National Junior College Athletic Association president and CEO Dr. Christopher Parker said teams would move to a spring season, playing up to eight games with practices beginning in early March.

“We would like to play football this fall,” Parker said. “But I think from a national perspective, moving it is probably the right decision holistically.”

The NJCAA board of regents will meet Monday to vote, but Parker said the eight-game spring football schedule is “the direction it would be heading in.”

So when would spring football start and end I wonder? You’d be looking at a little over 4 months for a full season. Could get awful hot down south for those last few weeks.

[
So when would spring football start and end I wonder? You’d be looking at a little over 4 months for a full season. Could get awful hot down south for those last few weeks.
Well its already hot for the first several weeks playing in the fall. So I dont really see that being a big issue.

Reactions: Derwin0 and mccoyrj
I don't see Spring ball as happening for the Power 5 guys ...
As a very last resort I guess ...

IF they do go to Spring, you'll see a WAY different College Football season ....
The Majority of your top teams will be playing without thier Star players, as if they have a potential to be going to the NFL, they won't be playing ... no so much because of possible injury, but because the NFL will still be holding thier Draft in April ... no one is going to play in the spring and chance not being able to go to the Combine and Draft, seeing they would still be playing.

Playing in the Spring and going to NFL Camps shortly after would not be good either.

Reactions: mccoyrj
ACC plans to have a 10 in-conference game season with it’s teams and Notre Dame, and allow each school to have a single non-conference game held within their State (preserving the 4 in-state rivalries between them and the SEC).

Notre Dame will also play a full ACC schedule of 10 games and be eligible for the conference championship game.

The SEC is moving closer to an agreement on a conference-only schedule of 10 games, multiple sources told Sports Illustrated. During a virtual meeting on Wednesday, a majority of athletic directors approved the idea of an SEC-only, 10-game schedule. However, the schedule must be ratified by league presidents. SEC presidents are expected to meet virtually Thursday to seriously discuss the matter. It is unclear if they will vote then or delay a decision until next week. The NCAA Board of Governors is scheduled to meet Tuesday in what could be a momentous event for the 2020–21 college athletic season. Officials there could postpone or cancel fall championships, eliminating year-ending championships for sports such as FCS football, volleyball and soccer, or moving those to the spring.

The SEC is moving closer to an agreement on a conference-only schedule of 10 games, multiple sources told Sports Illustrated. During a virtual meeting on Wednesday, a majority of athletic directors approved the idea of an SEC-only, 10-game schedule. However, the schedule must be ratified by league presidents. SEC presidents are expected to meet virtually Thursday to seriously discuss the matter. It is unclear if they will vote then or delay a decision until next week. The NCAA Board of Governors is scheduled to meet Tuesday in what could be a momentous event for the 2020–21 college athletic season. Officials there could postpone or cancel fall championships, eliminating year-ending championships for sports such as FCS football, volleyball and soccer, or moving those to the spring.

Fortunately, the NCAA has Nothing to do with the College Football Playoffs ...

Fortunately, the NCAA has Nothing to do with the College Football Playoffs ...

They do have something to do with post season, ie. allowing teams to be in bowl games, so could have them canceled which would include the “playoff”.

They do have something to do with post season, ie. allowing teams to be in bowl games, so could have them canceled which would include the “playoff”.
Nope ...
They have nothing to do with the CFP set up.
Ok, we don't have the bowl game, the Fiesta bowl for example, they change the name to the College Football Semi finals Playoff game brought to you by who ever.
The Playoffs will still get played (virus permitting ) ...

As for the rest of the bowls, ya, the NCAA can ruin the games for the rest of the teams, which might be a good thing for those teams that go to Bowl games with a .500 record, that shouldn't be in one anyways.

There was a time when getting to a Bowl game was a sign that you had a very good year ...
Then everybody decided to sponsor a game and they became from about 10 Bowl games to around 40 now ...
Now its a Participation Bowl.
If your season was .500 or better, your in.

I personally HATE that ...
I would make it that you have to be at LEAST 2 games over .500 to be in a Bowl game. (as a minimum).

ACC plans to have a 10 in-conference game season with it’s teams and Notre Dame, and allow each school to have a single non-conference game held within their State (preserving the 4 in-state rivalries between them and the SEC).

Notre Dame will also play a full ACC schedule of 10 games and be eligible for the conference championship game.

If I'm reading this correctly, the majority of the teams are playing Conference only games, making a Total of 10 games ...
While the ACC has added ND this year (Convenient for ND, I bet the opt out after this pandemic) so they will play 11 games where the rest play 10 ?

I would think common sense would prevail and everyone would be required to at least play the same number of games. Then again, decisions are all being made on a daily basis, so who knows.

Sec is set to announce a 10 game conference only schedule. I did not see anything so far about n out of conference opponent

of course this could be added in the official announcement.

Honestly I think this is just the next move towards most likely a cancellation.

The in conference only games don’t limit the exposure given how spread out these conferences are.

They just don’t want to announce too soon that they cancel the season in case something happens and the rates go down.
If it stays as is or goes up however, I just don’t see them playing.
I hope they do.

Reactions: Derwin0 and mccoyrj

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts