2021-22 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should Georgia drop below second because they lost to the #1 team in the country?

Yahoo Sports indicates Georgia has easiest road to championship.

If Georgia wins both games, they'll automatically win the Title. This would be the first time that could happen since the playoff was created. This will be tough though as Georgia needs to play two games, with virtually no time in between to rest (and traveling from Texas to Florida as well). :D
First off Georga didnt lose to the numer one team?....Bama was not rated number one!...Is Cincinnati for real?....If you were around for the years before the BCS there were way more controvercies when it came to just the top ten!

The whole system is rigged. They need to make each winner of the power conference championship an auto bid. Then add 3 at larges.
or have a real playoff set with 8 or 16 teams....This has been just awful for 100 years....Plenty of great teams never get a chance to play!....This being undefeted is not the perfect way to rank teams....!

or have a real playoff set with 8 or 16 teams....This has been just awful for 100 years....Plenty of great teams never get a chance to play!....This being undefeted is not the perfect way to rank teams....!
They need to cut back the number of BCS schools, We only see 8 that have a chance to contend every year. Way too many schools knocking each other off each week. Too many games with horrible teams on TV. Make the BCS be the top 20 teams, and the rest as the bowl game contenders.

Reactions: AZ.
First off Georga didnt lose to the numer one team?
*looks at the rankings*

*sees Alabama is #1*

Georgia lost Alabama... their only loss of the season. Alabama is considered the best team in the country. So Georgia only lost to the best team in the country.
Is Cincinnati for real?
Doubt it.
....If you were around for the years before the BCS there were way more controvercies when it came to just the top ten!
There are always controversies in college football. The schedule isn't designed to determine which the top teams are.

Alabama WAS NOT RANKED NUMBER ONE when the game was played.....Im sorry its that simple!

There is no viable way to rank teams, the way the system is set up. In general, the schedule is created to make money, nothing else. If they wanted to determine the best team, they'd have then previous year's top ten play each other for the entire season, in a European Football promotion/relegation set up. Then the top two teams play each other for a title. But in doing so, that means a lot less money in college football. Because colleges sell out at home regardless who they play, SW Alabama Tech for Cows or Auburn. So it makes more sense to have fluff in the schedule and make money with fluff.

College Football is exclusively a business. The football cartels like it better this way.

There is no viable way to rank teams, the way the system is set up. In general, the schedule is created to make money, nothing else. If they wanted to determine the best team, they'd have then previous year's top ten play each other for the entire season, in a European Football promotion/relegation set up. Then the top two teams play each other for a title. But in doing so, that means a lot less money in college football. Because colleges sell out at home regardless who they play, SW Alabama Tech for Cows or Auburn. So it makes more sense to have fluff in the schedule and make money with fluff.

College Football is exclusively a business. The football cartels like it better this way.
I can see the power schools pulling out and forming their own league.

Alabama WAS NOT RANKED NUMBER ONE when the game was played.....Im sorry its that simple!
No it isn't. Alabama is ranked the best. There is no physical meaning to the ranking of last week. This week's ranking is all that matters. If a team was hot or uninjured at the beginning of the season, being ranked #1 then would matter more if their season collapsed due to injuries. But in this case, Alabama of last week and this week is the same team and this week they are ranked #1, which means Georgia lost to the best team in the country. So there is no reason why they should drop below second when the teams below them lost to worse teams.

And to be clear, I have no horse in this. I hope the Buckeyes do well, but realize that College Football is not an actual sport.

Have they taken the On Side kick away already, or is that something they just haven't done YET ?
NFL changed the rule on kickoffs so that the kicking team can't bunch everybody in one spot. That made the chances of a successful onside kick much more difficult.

Why should Georgia drop below second because they lost to the #1 team in the country?

Yahoo Sports indicates Georgia has easiest road to championship.

If Georgia wins both games, they'll automatically win the Title. This would be the first time that could happen since the playoff was created. This will be tough though as Georgia needs to play two games, with virtually no time in between to rest (and traveling from Texas to Florida as well). :D
Georgia drops the third because Michigan was already second, they won their league championship game and Georgia lost theirs.

I don't see the Georgia has the easiest road to the championship argument, everybody has to win two games to win the national championship. If Georgia plays Michigan like they played Alabama they will never make it out of the first round.

Saban outsmarted Smart and demonstrated how to beat Georgia.

Reactions: Jimbo
Georgia drops the third because Michigan was already second, they won their league championship game and Georgia lost theirs.

I don't see the Georgia has the easiest road to the championship argument, everybody has to win two games to win the national championship. If Georgia plays Michigan like they played Alabama they will never make it out of the first round.

Saban outsmarted Smart and demonstrated how to beat Georgia.

I'm not certain why Newtonian Physics is being referenced here. Michigan lost to a team not as good as Alabama. Their position at #2 isn't inertial. Just more evidence of nonsensical system that is College Football rankings.
I don't see the Georgia has the easiest road to the championship argument, everybody has to win two games to win the national championship.
If you look at the quoted portion of the article... or what I wrote, it'll become very apparent.

Alabama is lucky to be #1. last week against against Auburn( 6 and 6)it took 4 OTs to win( by 2 points)....Saterdays game turned into a blowout in the second half...Thos are all factors in the calculation!
There is no way an undefeated Cincinnati can fall out of the top 4 because being undefeated...Its kinda simple.
Is Cincinnati for real, is the only question...But by the stats I think they are spot on.

Because of how badly they lost, to a team that barely beat Aubarn.

Michigan has been dominating, and thus should IMO be above Alabama.

The above discussion is just more evidence, as if any is needed, of why the “playoffs” is an answer to a question no one asked.

Play a season. Set the bowls based on record/fan support/geography. Best teams play on NYD. Champion announced the next morning. Many team go to a bowl (reward) many win (something to brag about). Being “national champion” is not the be all and end all for most teams.

Worked WELL for nearly 100 years. Until ESPN stuck its checkbook in the matter. Eventually 12, then 16 then 24 team playoffs, playing well into February. Regular season: totally meaningless. College basketball: totally pre-emoted until the very end. Result: one champion, everybody else is a POS.

Alabama is lucky to be #1.
That very well can be true, but they are still #1... and the only team Georgia lost to.

All things equal, I fear another Alabama title because Cincinnati is wholly untested, and the Big Ten isn't the SEC.
last week against against Auburn( 6 and 6)it took 4 OTs to win( by 2 points)....Saterdays game turned into a blowout in the second half...Thos are all factors in the calculation!
What calculation? There is no math. There are only $$$. Michigan has beaten who, OSU and Iowa?

There is no viable way to measure which team is better. However, I do balk at the idea that Michigan being #2 and not losing is somehow relevant to whether Georgia can or can't be #2 after losing to the team made #1.
There is no way an undefeated Cincinnati can fall out of the top 4 because being undefeated...Its kinda simple.
Is Cincinnati for real, is the only question...But by the stats I think they are spot on.
There are lots of questions. Like is Michigan a #2 team, or #4, or just top 10? Hopefully Cincinnati wins it all and we have a special year this year.

The above discussion is just more evidence, as if any is needed, of why the “playoffs” is an answer to a question no one asked.
I would say that the four team playoff is better than what existed before where two teams were magically anointed the best and it was winner maybe take all.

No it isn't. Alabama is ranked the best. There is no physical meaning to the ranking of last week. This week's ranking is all that matters.
You're right. Now just take that logic to the teams Georgia has played. Almost all their marque wins (top 10 teams at the time) are against teams like Clempson, Arkansas and Kentucky that have reeked since then.

Which is why I don't think they should be ranked above Michigan, and is why I think Michigan should be above Alabama based on what they've done to the still ranked teams that they've played.

The way the ranking system has worked for the last 50 years or more is still the way it works today is a loss early in the season is not as bad as a loss last week, no matter who you lost to. It has nothing to do with the perception of how good a team is or how bad their opponent was. Preference is given in the final rankings to conference champions, Georgia is NOT a conference champion, they don't care which conference, so the Big 10 champion is ALWAYS rated above the SEC runner up assuming equal records and Cincinnatti is only there because they are undefeated an managed to crawl up the ratings over teams as they lost games. They probably do not deserve to be there, but this is how the ranking game is played. If Houston had beaten them neither they nor Houston would be in the top 4 and the next team in the pecking order (last weeks list) moves up to #4. Last weeks rankings and this weeks results are the basis for this weeks rankings.

Georgia is fortunate that there were no other undefeated teams out there that could have dropped them completely out of the top four with their late season loss to Alabama. A loss usually results in a team dropping 3-4 places.

Reactions: Derwin0
Status
Not open for further replies.