2021-22 NHL TV Broadcasts ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
Reports say that TNT has signed on with the NHL to carry the "B" package - those games not carried by ESPN.

I have questions about how next season broadcasts are going to be accessed.

In addition to the TNT news, this is what I'm finding about ESPN:
================================
ESPN+ will stream more than 1,100 games, and also has the rights to simulcast the Stanley Cup Final. The NHL's out-of-market streaming package was previously the domain of NHL.TV, but will now be available only to ESPN+ subscribers.

Does this mean that the ONLY way to get the full season package is by streaming ESPN+ ?

If ESPN keeps the ESPN+ subscription at $5.99/mo.. it's a better deal monetarily than NHL.TV. But does this mean NHL Center ICE goes away?

I wpnder because streaming only will be an impossible task for my 89 yr. old father. I have enough trouble calling him and reminding him that "there's a Rangers game on tonight and for you it's on channel ####". He hasn't turned on his computer since July of 2020 and switching inputs to a streaming device would be a nightmare.

According to this, it'll be mainly ESPN+, with only 25 or so games on ESPN or ABC. Is there any reason to get ESPN now days?
article said:
ESPN and the NHL announced a seven-year deal on Wednesday, returning hockey to ESPN for the first time since 2004. Included will be 25 regular-season games on ESPN or ABC, early-round playoff series and one conference final each year, four Stanley Cup Final series on ABC and more than 1,000 games per season streaming on ESPN+. ESPN+ and Hulu will be home to 75 ESPN-produced exclusive telecasts per season.
Is a voice remote an option (FIreTV)? Granted, those can get tricky if it doesn't hear a person right.

Alexa, find Rangers game.
Why would you do that to yourself?
Just find the game Alexa!
They haven't been good since '94 and that was just the Edmonton Oilers minus Gretzky.
I'm going to replace you with a Roku!
Fine... here are the Texas Rangers v the Toronto Blue Jays.
*unplugs*

Specifically regarding the Turner deal:

article said:
As part of the agreement, Turner Sports' networks will televise the NHL Winter Classic, the League's annual New Year's Day outdoor game, in all seven seasons of the deal. They will show all games in the Stanley Cup Final in 2023, 2025 and 2027, one conference final series each season and half of the first two rounds of the playoffs along with 72 regular-season games per season.
It sounds like it is TBS and TNT, not exclusive to their online streaming service where they had hijacked the European Champions and Europa Leagues.

I've got to say, a deal like this has to be devastating to Cable/Sat. ESPN used to be an anchor, and now with live sports drawing away from Cable/Sat, there may be very little reason to stick around, and just sub to Sling or YouTubeTV for the playoffs.

Reports say that TNT has signed on with the NHL to carry the "B" package - those games not carried by ESPN.

I have questions about how next season broadcasts are going to be accessed.

In addition to the TNT news, this is what I'm finding about ESPN:
ESPN+ will stream more than 1,100 games, and also has the rights to simulcast the Stanley Cup Final. The NHL's out-of-market streaming package was previously the domain of NHL.TV, but will now be available only to ESPN+ subscribers.

Does this mean that the ONLY way to get the full season package is by streaming ESPN+ ?

If ESPN keeps the ESPN+ subscription at $5.99/mo.. it's a better deal monetarily than NHL.TV. But does this mean NHL Center ICE goes away?

I wpnder because streaming only will be an impossible task for my 89 yr. old father. I have enough trouble calling him and reminding him that "there's a Rangers game on tonight and for you it's on channel ####". He hasn't turned on his computer since July of 2020 and switching inputs to a streaming device would be a nightmare.
There was reports a month ago that the ESPN deal is streaming only and does not include Center Ice and it is not going away. I am guessing it will lose a good chunk of subscribers since the streaming rate will be much cheaper. MLS does the same thing, it's package is included with ESPN+ but the TV package is still sold on DirecTV & Cable.

We now know that NHL.TV is going away and ESPN+ will take its' place. Thanks for the info that indicates NHL Center Ice will still be available. There is no way my 89 year old father would be able to work with streaming games.

In all the stories I've read about the ESPN/Turner/Hulu deal, it appears that NBC will be totally out of the picture. Since NHL Network was partially owned by NBC Universal, any idea if NHLN will still be part of regular satellite/cable subscriptions?

My problem is Dish dropped NBCSW which carries most Caps games. Super annoying. Not sure what to do. I tried NHL Center Ice but they black out Caps games.

I want to keep this thread active because Dish hasn't come up with a price yet for NHL Center Ice. I know ESPN+ and TNT have the games but I want to see just my Blue Jackets play!
Flags GIF by Columbus Blue Jackets

Reactions: charlesrshell
I note that they both show SD, is that real?

They do show SD, but they also have HD where available. I think they put SD down because they guarantee SD of all games, but not all games are in HD. Especially for those in Hawaii and Alaska as a lot of the HD game feeds come off of 129 and they can't see 129.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I note that they both show SD, is that real?
It does say "NHL Center Ice Non-AR Package 2021-2022. Package includes both HD and SD!" up top, but the SD icon is a bit concerning. $60 seems like a pretty sharp deal. Though with ESPN+, you can get the NHL and a lot of other stuff. And the HD might look better on ESPN+ as well. Also ESPN+ available on all TV's, only HD with one tv, with me being cheapo-rama with just the 722k.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Thank You for all of you that answered my question. I know I saw that SD on the website and I know my Blue Jackets are in HD from the free previews from last year. I know Center Ice will be in free preview starting Oct.12 thru the 20th so I'll see what they have. I have ESPN+ but they don't have a section where you can pick your teams. You have to watch what they televise. That's all I want is to watch my BLUE JACKETS.

I keep forgetting about the ESPN+ local games restriction. As a kid, in college, and adult life, my Habs have never been local.

I keep forgetting about the ESPN+ local games restriction. As a kid, in college, and adult life, my Habs have never been local.
How does that work anyway? Can you see your local teams when they're playing away, or are they still blacked out because they're being carried on a channel you can supposedly get?

Blacked out home and road. Except certain national telecasts.
I looked on the ESPN+ website and I don't see any games that are being televised for any team except for what they are going to show on that date. There's no teams that you can select to watch. With NHL TV(streaming) I could select all the hockey teams except for Tampa Bay and Florida Panthers. I had no restrictions on any other teams. I live in Florida. Unless there's something else that you have to have like Hulu TV I don't get it.:mad:

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)