211, 2-switch cascade vs. dp44. What a mess.

polksda

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Urbana, IL
The installer used this cascade technique with my install, and it's been nothing but trouble thus far. While I can get 4 satellites (110, 119, 129 on 1000, and 61.5 on small dish), every day when I attempt to power up the 211 in the morning:

1. It takes over a minute to complete the startup cycle, MUCH longer than my old 811... the green power indicator stays off for 10+ seconds, comes on for about 15, then goes off for 20 seconds or so, then comes back on and stays on and then I get to the 5-step satellite reception process.
  2. Regardless of what channel I was watching when the 211 was powered down the night before, it always wants to connect to 61.5
  3. When it gets to downloading the guide, 70% of the time it freezes there and I have to do a reboot again.
  4. Sometimes during the 5-step satellite reception stage, I will get an error message about there being a problem with the switch. When I do a switch test, the only switch it recognizes is the one with the 61.5 dish on it.
  5. However, if I unplug the 211 for 10 minutes or so and reconnect, and then do a switch test, it will find both switches and all 4 satellites. Then things are good until the next morning, when I have to repeat the process.

I'm guessing I really need a DP44, but the local installer is saying that it's incredibly expensive.

Frankly, I think that E* should be footing the bill for the switch, not me. :(

Leave the 211 power on at night. It automatically goes into a standby mode for software/guide updates. Then the next day you just need to hit the select button on the remote once and the 211 comes back to life without any lengthly delay.

Actually, that didn't work for me. When I came back the next day, the 211 was locked up. Had to do a front panel reset.

After 3 days of locked up 211 and intermittent satellite loss, I hunkered down on the couch and settled in for a multi-hour phone session to get this resolved. After going round and round between E* and the local installers (actually wound up on a 3-way conference call to get it all ironed out), they've set up an appointment for next Saturday with the DP44 being "required hardware" so I don't have to pay for it.

In the interim, bypassing the DP21 switch (that the 61.5 dish was on) worked just fine as far as restoring stability to the system. I don't have my CBSHD, but I can live without it for a week.

Note to others: If you want anything done with E*, you want to go through the tech support department, not the customer service department. You get native English speakers that actually seem interested in helping, and have the capability and authority to get things done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts