Switch to Eastern Arc

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I am thinking about switching from the Western Arc to Eastern. In a previous thread I asked about the LNB drift I am seeing on the "issues" under settings. A most knowledgeable member stated that it is due to a failing refurbished LNB or poorly aimed dish. I don't have a lot of faith that my installation was correct due to the fact that both men smelled of alcohol and I had to ground the system myself.
Like many forum members here, I would rather just do things myself if possible. Honestly, we are not typical customers and it is as much hobby as TV service.
At my location the dish for the Western Arc has to be at the roof line due to trees. I can stand high on the ladder to get to it, but do not like being up there or lifting the ladder. Senior Citizen Here!
I know that I can get 61.5 easily standing on the ground as many years ago I was getting the Nasa Channel FTA form that orbital. 72.7 is clear as well. Can a EA LNB be mounted on my current WA dish? It would be less expensive both for the part and shipping just to replace the LNB rather than the whole dish.
I do not subscribe to locals. Would I need to ask dish to switch my channels or simply do a rescan/ switch check? It seems RV customers switch arcs often.
This could be a fun Christmas present for myself.

Can a EA LNB be mounted on my current WA dish?
Yup. IIRC the current hybrid LNB for EA was actually made for a 1000.2 (WA) dish.
I do not subscribe to locals. Would I need to ask dish to switch my channels or simply do a rescan/ switch check?
A rescan should do it. In fact, you might not even need a rescan since your OTA antenna is probably pointed the same as it has always been.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just another thought on this subject. I see that I would only loose a couple of channels that I care about if I only picked up the 61.5 satellite. I have the Flex Pack with no add-ons. The landlord has several old single orbital 18 inch dishes he would gladly give me. What would happen if I were to point one of those at 61.5? Would I constantly get a "nag screen" about less satellites? Would I loose the ability to record two shows at once on my Hopper Duo?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am thinking about switching from the Western Arc to Eastern. In a previous thread I asked about the LNB drift I am seeing on the "issues" under settings. A most knowledgeable member stated that it is due to a failing refurbished LNB or poorly aimed dish. I don't have a lot of faith that my installation was correct due to the fact that both men smelled of alcohol and I had to ground the system myself.
Like many forum members here, I would rather just do things myself if possible. Honestly, we are not typical customers and it is as much hobby as TV service.
At my location the dish for the Western Arc has to be at the roof line due to trees. I can stand high on the ladder to get to it, but do not like being up there or lifting the ladder. Senior Citizen Here!
I know that I can get 61.5 easily standing on the ground as many years ago I was getting the Nasa Channel FTA form that orbital. 72.7 is clear as well. Can a EA LNB be mounted on my current WA dish? It would be less expensive both for the part and shipping just to replace the LNB rather than the whole dish.
I do not subscribe to locals. Would I need to ask dish to switch my channels or simply do a rescan/ switch check? It seems RV customers switch arcs often.
This could be a fun Christmas present for myself.
El Paso, TX Locals are on the 119 only so you'll lose your locals if you swap to Eastern Arc

TheKrell
EA and WA LNBS both come in Slimline and "old-Style" chasis

El Paso, TX Locals are on the 119 only so you'll lose your locals if you swap to Eastern Arc

TheKrell
EA and WA LNBS both come in Slimline and "old-Style" chasis
He doesn’t sub to locals, as he said in his original post, so he doesn’t care. I do think he is not thinking outside the box when he is thinking about going to 61.5 only. DISH could easily move his programming from 61.5 to 72.7 and then he would be SOL.

Last edited:
He doesn’t sub to locals, as he said in his original post, so he doesn’t care. I do think he is not thinking outside the box when he is thinking about going to 61.5 only. DISH could easily move his programming from 61.5 to 72.7 and then he would be SOL.
Bobby has a good point. As I wrote in the original post, this is a hobby as much as a TV service. I just wanted to play around with the technical of it. Unfortunately, it is much more complicated than it was in the late 90's and early 2000's and I don't fully understand all of the details.
One of my challenges at this point is to find something interesting to do that I can afford to do and physically able to do.
Information and answers to questions here on the site not only help the original poster but also anyone who is searching a similar problem. Even Google often directs towards our group.

How did I miss that?? lol... lazy reading

Why not just fix the western arc dish yourself. Why go through hassle of switching to Eastern which doesn’t appear to be correct for your area based on Locals (I know you don’t subscribe to them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not just fix the western arc dish yourself. Why go through hassle of switching to Eastern which doesn’t appear to be correct for your area based on Locals (I know you don’t subscribe to them).
He's a fellow senior that isn't comfortable climbing a ladder. I can sympathize since I'm no longer able to climb ladders at all. I do have a younger neighbor though, that is more than willing to help me out when my condition prevents from doing something. Perhaps the OP has someone that would help him as well.