211 and ReplayTV/TiVo

CFilkins

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Hi, Guys...

I know this was discussed last year, but I didn't see any more recent threads about a solution to this. I've got a ViP 211 that always turns itself off after a few hours, regardless of the settings on the inactivity timer. Anyone with an external DVR knows what a hassle this is...

Has anyone identified a solution, or is Dish considering this a long-existing bug (or clever marketing tool to keep people from using their own DVR and paying Dish for theirs?) I have a 622 as well, but I own a pair of Replay 5040's (upgraded to 200 hours each) with lifetime service, and I'd just like to get as much use out of them as I can.

Chris

My 211 is doing the same thing. After the nightly download/reboot, it is left in stand-by mode. I have inactivity stand-by off, but have to remember to go in every morning and wake it up so my TiVo can control it for the rest of the day.

On the other hand it is more convenient than my 622 for recording because HD and SD have seperate and distinct settings on outputs. I have HD output Set to normal for my Sony D50 projector and SD output set to 3X4#1 for the S-video connection to my TiVo. Thereby a HD program shows as letterboxed and SD program shows as 3X4 on my Tivo.

Hi, Guys...

I know this was discussed last year, but I didn't see any more recent threads about a solution to this. I've got a ViP 211 that always turns itself off after a few hours, regardless of the settings on the inactivity timer. Anyone with an external DVR knows what a hassle this is...

Has anyone identified a solution, or is Dish considering this a long-existing bug (or clever marketing tool to keep people from using their own DVR and paying Dish for theirs?) I have a 622 as well, but I own a pair of Replay 5040's (upgraded to 200 hours each) with lifetime service, and I'd just like to get as much use out of them as I can.

Chris

Has the same problem with a 311 turning itself off each night to check for updates. I just set up an auto-tune at 4am to one of the channels. That turns on the receiver and tunes to that channel which solved the problem. I'm sure the vip211 has the same functionality. If it is turning itself off multiple times during the day, I assume you could set up multiple auto-tunes, just make sure they don't overlap with any scheduled recording times.

Thanks, that will fix our problem.

I set an auto tune for 1 hour after the daily updates, it should wake it up.

I wasn't aware the 211 had auto-tune.

211 was awake this AM when I checked it - YEAH, no more "Press Select"!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts