211 Not Activating: Smart Card Needed?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joenobody33

Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I just bought a VIP211 off ebay and got Dish Network to activate it. It's listed under my account and Dish says it's activated, but I get a Not Authorized message when I boot up the receiver. Does this have something to do with the fact that the receiver has no smart card inserted?

I was also reading an article that said the problem might be that the box was previously on an account that didn't pay their bills.

Thanks for your help.

I don't think Dish will activate the receiver unless the previous owner releases it and there is a zero balance on the account. The fact that they activated it would lead me to think there is no problem there.

If your receiver wasn't on and receiving a signal when it was activated, you might have missed your activation hit. Turn the receiver on, make sure it's receiving a signal, and ask for another activation hit.

If your on EA you need the new card for the VIP receivers to work. DISH should have caught this if it is your problem but with their quality CSRs it is surprising anything works.

I activated a used 211 without the card and it works just fine but it was just to get locals off of 77 since there was a line of site issue at 129.

I just bought a VIP211 off ebay and got Dish Network to activate it. It's listed under my account and Dish says it's activated, but I get a Not Authorized message when I boot up the receiver. Does this have something to do with the fact that the receiver has no smart card inserted?

I was also reading an article that said the problem might be that the box was previously on an account that didn't pay their bills.

Thanks for your help.

Joebnobody,

A secondary problem may be the firmware that is on the 211. Sometimes receivers are disconnected for a long period of time before being resold.

If the Firmware is several generations old it will not be able to accept the hit to be reactivated. The solution is to place the receiver in standby mode for 15-30 minutes and then call Dish back to have them rehit the receiver.

John

Thanks for all the replies..

I called up Dish and got a tech who was suppose to send out new firmware to the box.. I left it in standby mode, but the software never got upgraded.. I'll try calling again tomorrow and ask them to send a software update again...

Here's what's happened friend.

You bought a receiver on the open market. Had it successfully added to the account. When you called, you provided Dish network with the smart card number married to the receiver. The 211 utilizes an internal card and has an option to override with an external card.

I of course assume the CSR you spoke to activated the receiver. This rules out an account balance issue or inconsistencies with the smart card number married to the receiver and Dish network information.

While true, the software could be out of date, simply turning the receiver off and waiting on a hit is insufficient. And wrong.

Honestly, there's not a lot of difference between one software version and another. If the receiver contained a factory software revision, then yes. It wouldn't allow you to proceed without the activation.

When you installed the 211 did you run a check switch?

New Eastern Arc installations carry with them the newer G3 cards. Older Eastern Arc installs could potentially carry a mixture of receivers. Secondly, Eastern Arc installs only cover decoder requirements, not necessarily smart card specs. A 211 is an EA compatible receiver. Ergo, it should work.

I'd lean towards either a factory/software issue. Check the software version on the receiver against a current software version easily located online (Menu 2 times, line labeled software version). If the software outdated, then obviously we need to update it. Run a check switch test (menu, followed by 6-1-1, highlight and select check switch, select test)- THEN put the receiver in standy. After that, it depends on if the reciever updates or not.

From there we're looking at something stupid like a typo on the CSR end, the receiver not being shown as activated on the account, or an actual problem with the receiver.

Being issued a smart card may, or may not resolve the issue. Depending on when that receiver was transferred over, there could be a mix up there. But that's like slim possibility #3.

The receiver downloads new firmware on its own, they dont send out firmware to the box themselves. It is done automatically. They will ask what firmware version it is. All you have to do is a check switch then turn the receiver off and it will start downloading firmware. It will not activate the channels even if you get an activation hit from the uplink center without it. I figured that out the hard way and after talking several times with tech support. It used to not be this way but at least the last two or three years its been this way. I imagine it is to deter hackers.

Worse case scenario you might be able to activate DHPP warranty to get it replaced for free.

After talking with a tech again last night, Dish is going to be sending me a new receiver.

I did get the smart card for the receiver in question today, but it still does not seem to be working..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts