211 Running Bug Thread

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Jrfuda started a 622 running bug thread and I think it's a great idea to start reporting the bugs with the new receivers.

I'm starting one for the 211 receivers and will just copy and paste Jrfuda's report format. Please report the bugs that you are seeing with the 211s and hopefully Dish Network will take note.

With Jrfuda permission I copied and pasted this suggestion:

Please, to keep the thread to the point, please only post the information requested here. If you want to start a specific thread for a bug, or already have, please post a list to that thread in your post here. The intent it to have a concise list of bugs here that hopefully someone with the power to fix these bugs will see.

Here's the info I think should be included:

Software version: (version number)
Dish setup: (what kind of dish and/or switch combo you have)
Description of bug: (brief sentence outlining the bug) (detailed paragraph outlining the bug)
OTA Antenna: (make model and location of your OTA antenna) *just added this after some posts were made.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of bugs that I've noticed with my receiver.

Software version: L2.64

Dish setup: DP Quad + DP Dual for 119,110 and 129 that feed 2 DP34s. Total of 5 receivers: 211, 501, 3 311s.

Description of bug:

Caller ID: Displays "Out of Area" when receiving calls from cell phones.

Digital Audio Output: The audio and the video are out of sync when using the digital audio output. If you turn up the volume on your TV speakers and the A/V receiver you can hear an echo because of the delay.

OTA Antenna: Radio Shack antenna similar to the TERK 55 installed outside in the backyard.

Dish setup: DP Dual for 119,110 and single for 61.5. Total of 2 receivers: 211, 811.

Description of bug:

Volume on 211 twice as loud as output on 811, When switching betwen the two through my av receiver.

OTA Antenna: Radio Shack antenna large 110 element installed outside in the backyard

Dish setup: Dish 1000 to DP34 w/4 receivers

Description of bug: When the phone shows no caller name, but does show the phone number, the 211 caller ID shows "Unknown" with no other data. This is true for the on-screen display and the caller ID history. The 811 shows the number. I'd like for the 211 caller ID to work like the 811.

OTA Antenna:
Phillips UHF/VHF Silver Sensor.

SV: L2.64
Dish 1000

Bug(s) : S-video on ocasions when I turn the reciever on the green seems to be filtered out. I have to turn the reciever off for a couple minutes and turn it back on for the picture to be correct. Audio issue (known issue) the digital (optical) output is slightly off from video.

Add a 1 hour and 2 hour auto off. That way you can shut off the TV and have music from you receiver only for an hour or two. The 4 hours is a little much for this purpose.

Dish setup: DP Dual for 119,110 and single for 61.5. Total of 5 receivers: 211, 811,, 721, 501 and 311

Description of bug:

Over the air signal on cbs, nbc and abc local digital broadcast has degraded (freezes and pixalations) in the last week. channel strength reads in the 80's. FOX signal near 100 without any problems. my 811 receives the OTA broadcast just fine. Have regrounded antenna, added attenuator and realigned w/o success. received 211 about one month ago and worked fine until last weekend.

OTA Antenna: channel master bow tie type.

SW Ver L 2.64
Dish Set up- DP-44 110, 119 & 61.5. Rcvrs- 508, 811 & 411.
Connection: Optical and Component (411)

Desc. of bug: Video loss but keep audio. Reset 411 receiver and works fine, until next time. Happens daily for three weeks now, reported to dish. Experience this video loss while switching back from watching a OTA channel. Dish is not charging 411 receiver fee for the next two months for this problem.

OTA Antenna: Can't recall brand but its new and works for locals.

Dish setup: Dish 500 119/100 Dish 500 61.5 (with single lnb adapter) DP34 1 dish 411 reciever
Description of bug: When switching channels after being on 1 channel for awhile, the reciever skips to the wrong channel. The channel is usually not even close the channel that I was on. Example: if I am on channel 107 for a few minutes and I hit channel up it will sometimes jump to channel 9424. Its does not alway jump to the same block of channels, it can jump from channels that are on 119, 110, 61.5 or even OTA. This is really strange and hard to explain. Its like the reciever forgets what channel its on, and switches to the next channel up on the wrong satellite.

noticed this evening on discovery health that they are still having the sync problem. I have a 211 with a dvi cable hooked up to the hdmi with a convertor. It is not on all channels but I did notice it on this channel.

mp3audio said:
Dish setup: Dish 500 119/100 Dish 500 61.5 (with single lnb adapter) DP34 1 dish 411 reciever
Description of bug: When switching channels after being on 1 channel for awhile, the reciever skips to the wrong channel. The channel is usually not even close the channel that I was on. Example: if I am on channel 107 for a few minutes and I hit channel up it will sometimes jump to channel 9424. Its does not alway jump to the same block of channels, it can jump from channels that are on 119, 110, 61.5 or even OTA. This is really strange and hard to explain. Its like the reciever forgets what channel its on, and switches to the next channel up on the wrong satellite.

Sounds like the last time you used the guide you did not leave it on all channels or all subscribed. Therefore, channel up will jump to the next channel on the present favorite list.

This one really annoys me.

I first noticed this when watching the Superbowl. The ABCHD logo was in the bottom right corner of the screen. All I saw was ABCH and no D.

When Universal HD puts their logo up on the bottom right corner of the screen, half the D is off the screen.

When Worldsport has a soccer game on, the put an onscreen scorebox up on the top left corner. I cannot see the first letter or 2 of what teams are playing and Worldsport just underneath the team names shows as vorldsport.

A few other channels show me the same thing but there is one common denominator. They are all new channels. Not all of them are a problem but the problem only exists on most new MPEG-4 channels.

Here is more, all of the channel guides look fine except for the Extended EPG with video. The top looks fine but the bottom channel is half off the screen. Again, all other EPG screens look fine.

Receiver is set to HD Normal. My Toshiba 57H84 57 inch Widecreen HDTV's Picture size setting is set to Natural.

After numerous calls to Dish, they finally agreed to swap the 211 receiver. The new receiver is doing 98% of the exact same thing.
I say 98% because most of the time, the network HD channels still broadcast a 4:3 size picture so I deceided to measure the bar sizes on both sides of the screen. These all all NYC HD channels and the numbers are bar-widths in inches to the nearest quarter of an inch. Here is what I come up with..

.................New 211..........................Old 211
.................Right........Left....................Right.......Left
ABC.............. 4.........3.........................3 1/2......2 3/4
CBS............4 1/2......3 1/2..................4 1/4.......3 3/4
NBC............4 1/2......3 1/2....................4...........3 3/4
Fox.............4 1/2......3 3/4..................4 1/4.......3 1/2

CBS is gives me exactly the same bar widths on both channels 6301 and 9483 on both the old and the new receivers.

All standard definition channels show me this:

..........New 211..........................Old 211
............Right.........Left...............Right.........Left
ALL.......4 1/2........3 3/4.............4 1/2...........4
SD CHANNELS

So not only am I zooming just a little too much, I am also slightly off center. SD channels are all the same. HD channels are all a little different. It is hard to get a fix on what I might be missing in the corners on channels that are full time HD and do not place any noticable information in extreme corners.

I also hooked up a SDTV with a S-Video cable too see what happens there. I didn't go too nuts here but just wanted to see the EPG. That Extended Program Guide with video was a problem there too. All looked good except for that one with the bottom channel half off the screen.

Of course, another report was made to Dish with my model HDTV included in the report and I was told to give it a few days to see if their engineers a chance to figure this out and create a software update for it.

Last edited:
no favorite list, it just skips to any channel it wants to instead of going to the next channel.

Sometimes when I chanel up, the next channel is not the next up channel but 10 or 20 channels up or down on my 211. It just seems to jump to any old channel it wants to. This needs fixin.

attygrober said:

Dish setup: DP Dual for 119,110 and single for 61.5. Total of 5 receivers: 211, 811,, 721, 501 and 311

Description of bug:

Over the air signal on cbs, nbc and abc local digital broadcast has degraded (freezes and pixalations) in the last week. channel strength reads in the 80's. FOX signal near 100 without any problems. my 811 receives the OTA broadcast just fine. Have regrounded antenna, added attenuator and realigned w/o success. received 211 about one month ago and worked fine until last weekend.

OTA Antenna: channel master bow tie type.

I see something similar to this only on OTA channels. The sound is ok but the video will be very choppy, like 1 frame ever 2 seconds. I re-boot the receiver and it's fine. This has happened 3 times so far with no apparent pattern. First time I saw it I thought the Olympics feed was screwed up until I noticed it on all OTA stations.

Grumpy said:
I see something similar to this only on OTA channels. The sound is ok but the video will be very choppy, like 1 frame ever 2 seconds. I re-boot the receiver and it's fine. This has happened 3 times so far with no apparent pattern. First time I saw it I thought the Olympics feed was screwed up until I noticed it on all OTA stations.

I have been seeing the same problem here also. Does not happen all the time like you stated. But when it does it's a pain in the @ss. And yes a re-boot will fix it. Hopefully it will be fixed through future updates.

Just got my 211 about 2 weeks ago, and here's what I've seen so far:

Software version: Will check at home tonight and update
Dish setup: SW64 switch--119, 110, 129 (New HD dish)
Description of bug: Picture freeze/slowdown; sound "pixelated"
OTA Antenna: Philips interior powered antenna

Main issue I've seen occurs mostly at night. The picture will freeze up, or actually move in slow motion. And it occurs on every channel, not just the HD channels.

Also, when trying to watch Letterman on CBS the other night, the sound was terrible, almost "pixelated" if that sounds right.

Plus, when these issues have come up, I go to the "Check Switch", and check the signal strengths, and while the 119 and 129 were in the 70-90 range, my 110 satellite is not even found. I'm debating on calling Dish Network for this last issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)