211K changed from Dish 500 to 1000.2 - can't find satellites

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Joe Satellite Fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Palisade, Colorado
Bought a VIP 211K and set it up using a previously installed Dish 500. All went well, it found the dish and correctly set up everything.
Recently purchased a 1000.2 (Turbo Dish) and can't find any satellites. Whenever I run the check switch, it tells me it has found less satellites than it had before and do I want to save the settings. I originally just cancelled out thinking that was the right thing to do. When I selected save, the message hints that if I ever remove a satellite from the system that it can never be found again.
What do I do? I tried a system reset and it still thinks it's hooked up to a dish 500. I'm getting so frustrated. I've used a signal meter and all the usual things to find satellites and never can, it never shows any signal on any satellite.

First you must set the dish pole to be as nearly perfectly vertical as you can check it twice.

Mount the dish assembly on the pole and connect it according to the manual.

Cover the Two outer lnb's with aluminum foil and let's find 119.

Press MENU - 6 - 1- 1 on the receiver remote to get to the Point Dish screen. Put in your zip code; Dish 500; Transponder 19; Satellite 119. Have someone watch the screen to see when signal is detected, walkie-talkies or cell phones can help you communicate.

If you have no signal, you are improperly aimed. Pay no attention to the Azimuth, Elevation and Skew settings recommended on the receiver display, they are for the D500, the D1000.2 is not in the receiver database. You should have a manual that came with the D1000.2 that has a list of zip codes and the recommended Az, El and Sk for the D1000.2 in your zip code. These values should enable you to get close enough to find 119. If you do not have the manual - look here -
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/DISH_1000[1][1].2_Installation_Guide_(_151255).pdf starting on page 11.

First set the skew according to the manual, tighten it and leave it alone.

Set the elevation according to the manual and snug the bolts so they will not slip.

Now point the dish in the direction of the recommended azimuth (degrees of the compass, 180 being south). Leave the Az bolts on the pole loose enough that you can turn the dish by grasping the mount area (be careful not to warp the dish by using it to turn the unit). Mark the pole and azimuth clamp with a magic marker to tell where your starting point is. Move the dish West in tiny increments until you swing it 10 degrees past the azimuth in the manual or you find signal, if you do not find signal, go back to the beginning and try East. You should find a signal doing this even if it is the wrong satellite.

Finding the wrong satellite is helpful in that it at least shows you a point in the sky where a satellite is. Western Arc Dish satellites are about 10 degrees apart. If it finds a satellite and says it is the wrong one, you are probably about 10 degrees to far east or west.

Once you find 119 (the receiver will say Locked - EchoStar 119 West) then you move the dish in very tiny increments east and west until you get the strongest signal. Tighten the Azimuth bolts so the dish will not move and carefully loosen the elevation bolt(s). Now move the dish up and down in very tiny increments until you get the very best signal. Repeat the Azimuth and elevation steps at least once more to really dial in on 119.

Now that you have found 119 and dialed it in, turn off the receiver and wait for it to download the latest firmware. The screen should say code 61, I believe when it starts the download. Let it finish and do it's thing, it probably will reboot at least once.

Now uncover the 110 and 119 lnbs that you covered with foil. You should have a little signal on all three lnb's if you set the skew correctly - double check. Next we need to adjust the azimuth and elevation to balance all three satellite signal levels, you do not want 80 on 119 and 40 on 129, it is better to have all three around the same levels, Pick any TP on use for all three sats, but do not pick one that says spotbeam, these are usually stronger or much weaker than regular conus transponders. For instance I get signal of 64 on TP 11 of 110; signal 72 on TP 11 of 119 and 59 on TP 17 of 129. Balance the signals so they are withinabout 10 -12 of each other. Tighten the bolts, run a check switch and you should have satellite programming after you get the box activated.

Last edited:
Well, apparently, I am dealing with two issues. One was the receiver just would not find the 1000.2, it still said it was connected to the Dish 500. By searching the forum, I figured out how to fix this: disconnect the cable and run a check switch ... after that finished, reboot. I did this and then ran the check switch and it found the dish.

I still can't find any satellites, no matter what I try. I get no signal whatsoever, nothing. I've used my old system for years when we went camping, so am pretty good at finding satellites. I have a meter, and it shows a signal where I think 119 should be. I have the satellite locate app on my droid and it also shows that 119 is where I think it should be. When I try to see a signal on 119 (or any other satellite), it never even gets a blip ... no tone or bars or anything. On my old legacy receiver, I always could find some sort of signal easily, but this 211K just never sees anything.

When i first set it up with the old Dish 500, it wouldn't show any signal, either until I ran the check switch, then it was ok. Is this normal for a 211K? I would think I could see SOMETHING! This is getting really frustrating, guess I may have to call Dish out to see what they can figure out.

Joe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but will the point dish screen show anything when dialing up 119 if the check switch shows all x's (if you were to checkswitch with nothing connected)? Have you run a new check switch after finding some signal using your meter?

You need to do Jim was saying using your personal meter with it hooked to the port 1 connector on the LNB and being powered off the receiver. Then you should automatically be looking at the center eye for 119. Peak in as was suggested and run check switch and you should see 119,110, 129 show up under the check switch information screen. Also, have you checked the line to make sure there were no shorts or cuts in the line?

I've done all those things. I even used the tin foil thing and covered the two outer lnbs. Re ran the check switch. I'm getting a pretty good signal according to my meter, but still no signal at all on the dish point screen. Ran check switch again. It says it's all there with no extra dish connected which is as it should be, just no signal.
One more thought. I'm not totally sure that the cable I have run is true RG6. I can't find any identifying marks on it. However, it finds the satellite and confirms the switch is correct. I did have an excellent signal when it was connected to the legacy Dish 500, though.
Signed up for the dish service for repair, if I still have no luck, guess I'll call them. Should I have a big problem since I bought the receiver and dish?
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

If you have the service plan, you shouldn't have any problems. I bought my dish and receiver myself and had a tech come out today to fix an issue. I was charged $15 for the visit. Had no problems at all setting up the appointment.

It does not make a difference with leased/purchased equipment, we can still setup a tech visit to have someone install it for you. Feel free to PM me and I can set up the appointment if you wish.

Issue resolved

Just thought I'd post the fix for all those who were scratching their head over this one. Nobody got it right, then when you find out what was wrong, you'll know why.

Had the dish tech come out and he, too, was scratching his head. Turns out I had the dish almost perfectly aimed. The lnb's were bad, and also the receiver. He replaced both. That's why I could never even get a blip on the satellite signal screen.

Glad I signed up for the service plan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)