222 receiver keeps shutting down

teb2500

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
US
hi there - i have a 222 receiver that keeps shutting down after being on for an hour or so. the front panel lights alternate going on and off. i power cycle it and it boots up, but not for long.

is there something that can be causing this and be remedied or are we nearing end of life?

Wally time or Hopper.

They MIGHT have a 222 to replace it. But it will be just as old and worn- where do you want to place your nickel bet?

Sounds like you have a heat problem. Temporary solution is add a fan, it may buy you some time if heat is the problem. Longer term is replace with a remanufactured 222. As navychop said it will probably be just as old... For a new upgrade you can go to a Hopper3 and a Joey 2.. DISH no longer makes a non DVR dual tuner HD receiver.

hi there - i have a 222 receiver that keeps shutting down after being on for an hour or so. the front panel lights alternate going on and off. i power cycle it and it boots up, but not for long.

is there something that can be causing this and be remedied or are we nearing end of life?
If it is a VIP222 silver receiver, it is a heating problem, it is common with the VIP dual tuner receivers after a couple of years