222k no VOD?

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
So I rented Hot Tub Time machine on VOD on my 722. It was in the channel 1's. So I go upstairs to finish it on my 222k and notice I can't get VOD channels that are on channel 1 on my 722. I went to the 500's but it wants me to re-rent it. Is channel 1 not available on the 222k?

VOD on Dish requires a DVR box to watch. non-DVR's can only watch scheduled PPV programming. So the 222k can only watch PPV programming while the 722 can do either that or VOD.

No prob. :) For future reference if you know you want to watch a specific movie in both places you can order it over the phone or online as PPV (will cost slightly more than ordering on the box) and all boxes on your account will have access to it. Although, being PPV, this has time restraints obviously. The 722 can timeshift but the 222 will only be live.

VOD, as far as I can tell, has no perks like this and has to be ordered on each DVR.

Keep in mind that the VOD is content already downloaded (as files downloaded, not streaming video) on to the other half of your HDD. That is why you can watch it instantly from the beginning and may have limited time (usually 24 hours, but it could be longer is some cases) to have access to the ordered VOD for finishing where you left off or replaying the entire movie at no additional cost. It is all ready for time shifting, if you will, but for a limited time.

The 222K has NO HDD, and, therefore has no VOD capability, but, as explained in a previous post, does have access to PPV, which are live streaming video on a number of channels to allow for the most opportunity to view from the beginning.

None of this relates to the movie or TV content via the internet called DishONLINE, yet a 3rd type of service for you 722.

ASFIK, the only advantage to the VOD is that, because it is already on your HDD, you may immediately watch the movie from the beginning rather than waiting for a PPV start time. The VOD behaves like any other recorded event on your DVR. This may make a big difference if you have guests who want to watch the movie immediately, and being a good host--not a cheap one:)--are willing to oblige. Also, another advantage is that all the movies for VOD for HD DVR's are all in HD, while the HD live streaming PPV is comparatively limited in offering several start times to watch from the beginning. And, lastly, VOD is currently the only way to watch a movie in 1080p if it is offered. It is kind of a stretch finding advantages to VOD over the $1 cheaper PPV's. In my view, it is only worth it if you want a 1080p movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts